Back Pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

I had my TKR on 23rd January and I am feeling that any time I stand for any amount of time, limited time, such as dishes or shower, my lower back is in a lot of pain.

Do any of you suffer from that?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

N x

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

See if any of this makes sense...

Other Pain After a TKR

Back, hip, other knee or leg... Our bodies shift muscle groups to avoid the knee pain and ends up causing pain elsewhere. Very common. See a chiropractor to make sure your back and hips are in alignment.

• Posted

I suffered from back pain prior to surgery and see a chiropractor regularly. I am getting a lot of pain in my hip when I walk, but our gait will have changed as Chico says. We have a gap between our joint now to start with in addition to any other alignment that has changed? Are you having physio? If so, mention it. Check your shoes as well. My podiatrist advised that the best action is to buy new shoes or at least repair any worn ones.

Remember too that we're only 7 weeks post surgery in a recovery that takes up to a year so we're not even 1/6 of the way yet.

• Posted

Soooo true. I got sciatica 5 weeks post op; fixed in a few weeks by a chiropractor. I also have a tendency to lock up my SI joints...this is another potential source of pain. Again, chiro.

NO OPIOIDS!!! Try some Voltaren Gel (RX in the US, generic diclofenac elsewhere). Use multiple times a day, especially at bedtime. There are also OTC pain patches (capsaicin, menthol, lidocaine) plus AsperCream 4% Lidocaine which also works for some people.

Remember to check with your pharmacist about any drug interaction possibilities.

• Posted

Me too but this has passed now, I agree with Chico, think it is a shift of muscle groups. I seemed to ache in a lot of strange places

• Posted

Me too but this has passed now, I agree with Chico, think it is a shift of muscle groups. I seemed to ache in a lot of strange places. I am now 15 weeks and my pain and stiffnes has improved alot but my leg feels really heavy sometimes, anyone else experiencing this

• Posted

I am at 15 weeks and I too get back pain when standing. Sometimes it feels like the leg with the knee is longer. Ive also experienced sciatic pain on occasion. I have been doing lots of stretching and back exercises at the gym.

• Posted

I mean the leg with the new knee feels longer. I notice this when im wearing shoes...probably need new shoes as my gait will have changed.

• Posted

My operated leg felt longer to begin with. I assumed it is because there is now space in the joint that wasn't there before. It doesn't 'feel' longer any more, probably as I've got used to it, but mist likely accounts for the hip pain. I've been quite amazed at just how many aches and pains of varying severity in so many different parts of my leg I've experienced.

• Posted

I understand Linda. This week i had groin pain and was worried that strains on my body were causing hip problems. Luckily the groin pain only lasted a few days. i had plastic surgery on my face yesterday for basal cell carcinoma. So today i look like an accident with my face black and blue... bandaged ...and walking with a limp. I am feeling very sorry for myself.

• Posted

Jean, i have that feeling as well with my operated leg. When i fully stretch it out and put my full weight through it, my non operated leg definitely feels a bit shorter.

Mentioned it to the physio at the hospital and she said it happens, and gave me a cork like insert heel for shoes.

• Posted

Check out my Other Pain link above. Also, my leg-length difference was caused by my hips being out of alignment...fixed by a chiropractor. Too may people get orthotic inserts in their shoes when the actual problem is likely anatomical since we've changed our gait to accommodate the knee pain as well as being easily fixed. I have rarely heard of a leg-length difference being caused by the doctors screwing up the surgery and leaving patients with legs of different lengths.

• Posted

Worried girl. I had orthodic inserts before the surgery. im going to put one back in to see if this corrects the problem. thanks for tge suggestion.

• Posted

Hi,

A few months ago, I was also suffering from back pain problem, but now the problem has recovered. I think, you should consult with a therapist.

Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.