Back pain and abdomen pain on left side under rib cage...scared!

Posted , 110 users are following.

I'm not sure where to start. A lot has been going on in the past month. It all started when I started to feel like I had a couple of drinks when I had not. I was able to calm myself down because I thought I might be having some sort of anxiety attack. Long story short the symptoms did not go away. So I saw my doctor last week. With my vague answers to his questions he mentioned he wanted to do some further testing. Part of the testing was blood work and a 24 hour urine. That was last Wednesday. I had the blood draw on Thursday and turn my 24 hour urine and on Friday morning. It just so happened that I started my period on Friday. Its normal for me to feel a lot of lower back pain during my periods. this time is a little different. I started to feel the lower back pain then the pain moved to my upper abdomen on the left side. Then the pain moved to my lower right side of my back. now the pain is back on the left side of my upper abdomen. Of course everything that I have been reading leads to one thing... Pancreas. after calling my doctor my blood work has come back normal. However my urine test has not come back yet. They told me it could take up to a week. In the past this pain may have been here and it has gone away. But because of how much reading I have been doing on whyI have been feeling funny I've noticed the back pain and the abdomen pain a little more.

I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon. However I'm really scared.

10 likes, 182 replies

182 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Well atheist you are getting some help I wish I had more insight as I get daily left back and left from pain just under the ribs and in the same location in the back but my dr tells me it's not pancrea the all the test I've had and I mean them all he says its just this hiatal hernia causing all my discomfort by pulling up my stomach up into where it doesn't belong check out hiatal hernia and vagus nerve 

good luck keep me updated please I am very concerned about this 

• Posted

A hiatus hernia doesn't cause that sort of pain, and you'll know when it's still there 3 yrs after corrective surgery.

Vagus nerve normally affects the digestive and peripheral nerves..... and that's only if damaged during surgery, or it is being pinched.

• Posted

I to am worried sick.  I have had sciatica in my left side for 20 months.  For more than a year I have had bad indigestion and pain in my left side under my ribs.  Now I also have bad windy pains during the night and bad back pain.  Not sleeping and after trawling the Internet I am sure it is my pancreas. I went to my GP yesterday and he has referred me for an ultrasound.  Not sleeping, not eating, shattered and worried sick. I just want my old life back.
    • Posted

My dear pancreas pain is NO JOKE & I can reassure you that if it was pancreatitis you would be diagnosed by now.... And the symptoms that go along with it are nausea/vomiting & again blood work & they can do a cat scan which only will show if your panc is swollen, there is a special type of Mri called an mrcp that is just for the panc that shows it up close & all the ducts & such
    • Posted

Hi Nellie,

If you are still having problems I would recommend going to see a good, experienced chiropractor. Only thing that helped me after all sorts of 'professionals' deliberated as to the problem despite me saying I just felt out of line.

• Posted

This is false. My mom suffered for 20 years with NO diagnosis of pancreaitis until the last time she went in. She had pancreatic cancer. It is not as easy as you make it out to get a diagnosis of pancreaitis. Not even remotely. That's why pancreatic cancer is so deadly with zero survival BECAUSE it is very difficult to get that diagnosis.

• Posted

This doesn't mean she has had chronic pancreatitis all these years though? Pancreatic cancer can develop without previous pancreas problems.although it does happen It's very rare that pancreas problems show on no tests. I hope your mother fights it. X

• Posted

The doctors admitted they missed it. She had Whipple surgery and was given two months tops. She fought or almost three years! Thank you smile

• Posted

That's what worries me my grama suffered years w stomach issues and no1 could find it and 2007 she went to get gallbladder out and we were told she had pancreatic cancer and died 2 mos later. I had colonostomy last year cuz suffer with stomach n bowel issues found nothin they said ibs. Lost both gramas to cancer pancreatic n ovarion and they both had similar pains n issues that dr couldn't find til too late. Mom has celiac so thought maybe I do too blood test negative but so was hers. They found it by scoping stomach and that's my next test. I just had ultrasound and hida scan they told me kidneys gallbladder ok blood urine tests ok said no pancreatitis. Been to er twice in 2 wks first woke up w heart palpitations couldn't get my heart to slow for 3 hrs had all symptoms of heart attack even the arm pain they said heart ok could b same symptoms as gallbladder. Next week was doubled over at work in pain after eating eggs and bacon. So got all gallbladder tests done. Ultrasounds always show lot of gas around my organs though that is not this pain I have! Yesterday woke up w excruciating pain in my left side in my ribs and still have it today. Can't move without making it worse and can only take shallow breaths and as usual I'm goin to bathroom constantlysad don't know what else to do after scope test? Dr thinks I'm crazy I'm sure and I keep telling them about my family history of cancer n moms celiacs. Don't matter what I eat everything seems to mess up my stomach. I'm scared frustrated and feelin really lostsad also I had hysterectomy 2 yrs ago but still have ovaries.

• Posted

It's very frustrating not getting help. Can you see a other doctor? My mom ended up going to the hospital and they noticed she had jaundice. They still thought it was just her gallbladder with a clogged duct. Every test was fine so they opened her up. That's when they discovered it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.