Back pain and IBS

Posted , 104 users are following.

I've recently been diagnosed with IBS after a bad bout of what I thought was trapped wind. The symptoms listed in various articles seem to bear this diagnosis out. However, nothing much is said about back pain. My IBS spasms start with bad back pain which then spreads round the right side to the front (I think it's called the epigastrium).

It mainly starts in the evenings and can end as abruptly as it starts for no apparent reason, leaving me feeling pretty tired. Otherwise I go and lie down and it eventually eases off.

Does anyone else get this with IBS?

13 likes, 153 replies

153 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've suffered for IBS for 8 years now, i suffer terrible back pain with it. It goes up from the base of my spine around my rib cage to the top of my back & shoulders. Lately the stomach cramps i suffer seem to be getting worse for me, It's basically driving me around the bend. I've also just lost my job due to IBS. I was on and off work. In the end my boss was on to me so much it was stressing me out and i quit. Does any one else have trouble like this?
    • Posted

Sorry you are going thu this. I posted a number of lengthy replies and they've all been deleted by the site moderator without any explanation as to why they were deleted. I think some of them would have been helpful to you as I've posted what's working for me, but now I'm not going to spend a lot of time writing and have them deleted. I hope you understand my reasoning.

• Posted

You still on this site what ?

What advice or ideas can you give me I'd be more than happy to give you my private email if you would help share information!

• Posted

Hi Jane 38

My story is exactly exactly the same like yours. I got sick at work, diagnosed with IBS, was booked off for a week with same symptoms as yours. Was given grief about getting sick at work and I quit there and then. I'm 2 years still without work and symptoms started flaring up again since last year. Thought I was dying last night but refuse to go to hospital. I'm now to scared to eat as major flare up happened after supper last nigt

• Posted

I'm in the same position.  How awful for you about the treatment you received at work. This is so horribly typical and I only wish they knew more about IBS,

I understand the flare -ups completely, and to put it mildly, you do believe you are dying.. and result in visiting the hospital, are very discouraging,

I wish I could have read the deleted messages you wrote - I am surprised they could have been deleted.

• Posted

[quote:b4a77979d7=\"Jane38\"]I've suffered for IBS for 8 years now, i suffer terrible back pain with it. It goes up from the base of my spine around my rib cage to the top of my back & shoulders. Lately the stomach cramps i suffer seem to be getting worse for me, It's basically driving me around the bend. I've also just lost my job due to IBS. I was on and off work. In the end my boss was on to me so much it was stressing me out and i quit. Does any one else have trouble like this?[/quote:b4a77979d7]

I suffer terrible pain around my back on a daily basis. I know the pain originates in my gut cause whenever I pass wind the pain eases off for a bit. It seems to come from deep inside, but always around the back for some reason. It's so bad I feel like ending it all some days. sad

• Posted

I have suffered from IBS for about 10 years and I think that I've finally cracked it. I had terrible backache also, it would come at those times of year when there was nothing to do. It got so bad at times that I could not even walk. After my last bout I was adamant that I would finally beat it. I firstly gave up all alcohol, I started drinking Dandelion coffee instead of regular coffee and I started taking the probiotic Acidophilus. I felt queazy for 2 days, I'm told because of the battle that was going on in my stomach. After that I feel brilliant and I've just 'survived' shredded wheat breakfast cereal and can drink milk, eat chocolate ... with no symptoms. My energy has returned, I no longer need to sleep in the afternoon. I don't no what else to say ... it's really changed my life.
    • Posted

Hi I was just wondering whether your symptoms are still improving. I've felt awful this wkd sad I am waiting to have a laparoscopy as possible endometriosis suspected. I have read that this can cause IBS symptoms but the procedure needs doing anyway. In the meantime was given movicol and dioctyl. After taking them only a cpl days I had worse tum pain an horrible stitch pain down sides along with diarrhoea. Feel awful. Do u have any suggestions to help this and what is the best pain relief rolleyes
    • Posted

hi iv been suffering with the same symptoms id like to no what probiotic acidophilus was it exactly you was taking and where do you buy it from thanks
    • Posted

Hi, my fiancé is suffering from IBS and it seems that his symptoms are getting worse. I have read many collums and healthy-eating website to see what I can do to make his condition better but it seems that these sources are contradicting in what IBS people can eat and not eat. He told me that the symptoms and what you can eat differ depends on the person. But It would be nice if you could share how you have managed to erase the pain, what you mainly ate etc with me. As I am Japanese, I am cooking a lot of Japanese food which are known to be somewhat wheat free and he is enjoying the Japanese porridge and stuff. What can I do more to help him get better? Thank you.

• Posted

I too suffer quite bad and have found wheat free bread and pasta helps. Also eating small portions at meal times. Taking two senna tablets at night and occasionally having a fibregel sachet after a meal. The biggest help of all is exercises espec after food as helps the intestines along..hope this is helpful
    • Posted

Sorry you are going thu this. I posted a number of lengthy replies and they've all been deleted by the site moderator without any explanation as to why they were deleted. I think some of them would have been helpful to you as I've posted what's working for me, but now I'm not going to spend a lot of time writing and have them deleted. I hope you understand my reasoning.

• Posted

Just the acidophilus?  What else did you take ?? 
  • Posted

Pleased to read your post. I haven't actually been diagnosed with IBS but I KNOW I have it. I have persistant wind, pain and cramps and generally the worst time for me is in the evening after my evening meal. On sitting down to watch TV afterwards I then begin to feel quite unwell, but this feeling only seems to last from 45 mins to an hour and then I feel quite OK again. That is unless I drink tea or eat during the evening without taking a Mebeverine tablet beforehand (they do help but are not the answer). You may say I should take a walk after eating, but this is not always convenient and I am a lady of mature years. Hope you find some answers (which you won't do from my post as I am just as puzzled as you as to what is going on!).
    • Posted

I'm wondering if lying down to watch TV would help?  I do that and it seems to work.  Sitting only seems to make the symptoms worse.   I too, of mature years and it impossible to go for a walk after dinner, as our weather is icy and very snowy.  (too dangerous)

I wish I could offer you more suggestions.  I am wondering what Meberine tablets are?  They may go by a different name here in Canada.  I would really appreciate this, and thank you.

• Posted

First of all you've sent the question to users from eight years ago I presume you have IBS D with pain you have to figure out what is causing it then figure out what to do and 'I can give you answers for IBS D  with bloating caused by peri menopause '

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.