Back pain and IBS

Posted , 104 users are following.

I've recently been diagnosed with IBS after a bad bout of what I thought was trapped wind. The symptoms listed in various articles seem to bear this diagnosis out. However, nothing much is said about back pain. My IBS spasms start with bad back pain which then spreads round the right side to the front (I think it's called the epigastrium).

It mainly starts in the evenings and can end as abruptly as it starts for no apparent reason, leaving me feeling pretty tired. Otherwise I go and lie down and it eventually eases off.

Does anyone else get this with IBS?

13 likes, 153 replies

153 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

[quote:a0cdda8db4=\"hazel28\"]I've recently been diagnosed with IBS after a bad bout of what I thought was trapped wind. The symptoms listed in various articles seem to bear this diagnosis out. However, nothing much is said about back pain. My IBS spasms start with bad back pain which then spreads round the right side to the front (I think it's called the epigastrium).

It mainly starts in the evenings and can end as abruptly as it starts for no apparent reason, leaving me feeling pretty tired. Otherwise I go and lie down and it eventually eases off.

Does anyone else get this with IBS?[/quote:a0cdda8db4]

I have suffered with Irritable Bowel Syndrome for about 5 years. I have recently started to experience back pain, at times exactly how you described it.

I don't experience it too often at the moment, it is a mystery though as it seems to come and go with no apparent rhyme or reason!

I do notice that when I am particularly tired it seems to rear it's ugly head!

So when I do get it I just lie down and have a nap, and it does eventually seem to ease off.

I did not realise that back pain was also a symptom of Irritable Bowel Syndrome as I have only just started suffering with it.

Not many people seem to mention back pain on this forum site.

• Posted

Exactly why did you delete my post when I was just trying to help? I'd like to know exactly what I did that was wrong or against you think should be posted. I"m just trying to help and I have had lots of experience after dealing with this for 20 years. I feel you owe me a detailed explanation or I'll continue to fight this if you don't answer me, as I think you are doing others a ton of damage not allowing them to read what has worked for some and what has not. 

• Posted

Sorry you are going thu this. I posted a number of lengthy replies and they've all been deleted by the site moderator without any explanation as to why they were deleted. I think some of them would have been helpful to you as I've posted what's working for me, but now I'm not going to spend a lot of time writing and have them deleted. I hope you understand my reasoning.

• Posted

I have suffered with IBS for most of my life. I have all sorts of pain with it - mainly left side. Sometimes it's so severe, I can only equate it to labour pain. This is relieved by going to the loo (eventually!). I also suffer with back pain - it's terrible right now and I am at my wits' end most days. My back pain is around my tail bone and even spreads to my legs.

Sadly, IBS is one of those conditions that people in general just don't understand. Many of my friends think I am a hypocondriac most of the time.

I avoid wheat and high saturated fat content - also alcohol, artificial sweetners and colours. My diet is boring and limited!!

It's a very worrying, draining condition and I sympathise with all of you.

• Posted

Ok the is the first time I've heard of someone else, other than myself, that has pain that radiates all the way down the legs.  I'm having it right now.  I had to stay home from work on Wednesday because the pain was driving me crazy.  I used a pain medication that knocked me out all day and the next day I felt somewhat better.  But today the pain it back.  With diarrhea, several bouts before it subsites, then the dull pain sets in.  it runs from my lower abdomen through my rectum and down my legs.  After the diarrhea, I have a lot of flatulence, with loud grumbling noise in my stomach that are quite embarrassing if I'm around people at the time.  There is really no rime or reason as to what I eat, but I do notice that stress makes the onset of it.  I'm using Lotronex but if I take it the way the Dr prescribes it, it makes me constipated, so I try to take one table every other day.  I may go back and see if there is another medicatio that might work better for me. Going to try the probiotics again and try the Candadi diet as well.  As I suffer from yeast infections that just make matters worse.  I've had this from many years now, since I was in my late twenties and I'm getting so tired of it.  I always have to make sure I knwo where the bathroom facilities are anytime I go anywhere.  My sister also told me that sits baths will help with epsom salts.  Someone om here mentioned peppermint oil as well and I'm going to run out today and find some, or the peppermint tea.  i'm at my wits end.
    • Posted

Hello.I have many of the same symptoms.i been having more rectum pain as well.i think it does aggravate our back and legs seeing as how our nerves are all connected down there.it is awful as you know.it all starts with our gi tract.it is fact that an unnormal bowel can cause all sorts of problems.its not out imagination.it is real!! We have a tuff road ahead of us.knowing that I'm not alone reliefs some of my depression.wich is another battle.bless you.the best of luck to you.
    • Posted

Hello, i am still sufferig same sumptoms with severe abdomen and back pain, all the way ti my legs, MRI , blood test, endo, eco dis not show anything, did you find any solution?
    • Posted

I am most definitely NOT a healthcare professional, but you might want to look up mesenteric ischemia, in order to compare your symptoms to it. It's rare and there are several different types, but you may want to ask your physician about it.

• Posted

I agree...see my posts above...I've been suffering for 20 yrs now and to be honest...Western Meds are not of much use...I've tried some really expensive ones and they did nothing. I got farther by just reading daily. 

• Posted

Sorry you are going thu this. I posted a number of lengthy replies and they've all been deleted by the site moderator without any explanation as to why they were deleted. I think some of them would have been helpful to you as I've posted what's working for me, but now I'm not going to spend a lot of time writing and have them deleted. I hope you understand my reasoning.

• Posted

Hi there

I was recently diagnosed with IBS, when I went on line to look up symptoms for it there was no mention of back pain and I get real bad, lower back and in between my shoulder blades, it's a dull knaring ache lower back and a stinging draining ache in my shoulder area if that makes any sense, thats why ive been thinking that the doctor has got it wrong, it's nice to know if you know what I mean that back pain is part of IBS.

The thought of IBS for the rest of my life doesnt bare thinking about im sure you all agree to that point anway.....

• Posted

Hi Contractlady,

I know yr message was over a year ago, but I just wanted to say that my symptoms are exactly the same as yours. With the burning ache in the shoulder area and the low pain.

Can you tell me did you ever get over your problems? Jennyfwr

• Posted

oh my god!! ive just read this and now have an explanation!! I suffer terrible lower back pain on and off in the evenings mainly, I was thinking it was down to a back injury i had last year but i think my ibs is probably aggrevating this i also get a dull ache inbetween my shoulder blades, i feel a bit better now that i may have a reason behind this :D
    • Posted

I also have the back pain. But the stitch pain down sides is horrible also sad I also feel breathless at times which I haven't read much of but again could b anxiety as IBS causes that too. I feel tired at times mainly I. The evening. Why does IBS make u feel tired. It's difficult to know what to eat to as in how much and exactly what fibre do u need? As previously mentioned the movicol and Dioryct tabs dnt seem to suit me. I'm so fed up with it all sad 
    • Posted

I feel the same way...just wondering if anyone gets a tenderness on the right or left side in the groin area as wee?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.