Back pain and leg pain

Posted , 9 users are following.

For the past 2 years nearly ive had leg pain from my thigh to my calf, along with some wierd sensations, however it isnt weak. Everytime my boyfriend touches my lower back i get a sharp pain that makes me jump. And my back aches abit.

Obviously, google is telling me its spinal cancer or tumours. What are the chances of this as im terrified

Im really worried as it hasnt relieved itself.

3 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Don't let Dr Google worry you, but do something about it.  Don't be scared and don't make excuses.

I won't scare you by telling you what happened to me, but I put off having a cat scan for one week and in that time I went downhill very fast and ended up in hospital for seven months.

Took nearly a year before I actually walked again and more than two years now post op I am still learning to walk again.

All because I put off an appointment to have a scan done on my back.

Learn from my mistake and do something about it, now.

• Posted

Was it a tumour that you had?

I have no issues walking or anything, just an annoying ache in my leg and back rolleyes

• Posted

Had almost the same kind of pain years ago.  Docs thought it was my knee; turned out my hip was 30% dead.  Got it replaced.  But at your age?  Not likely.

Have you seen a chiropractor? This could be an alignment issue or locked SI joints. Sciatica runs down your leg.  I had a very painful "hip pointer" a while back completely caused by my QL muscle spasming.

The progression might be: 1. x-ray and chiro; 2. mri and orthopedist.  I really don't think you're looking at neurosurgeon unless 1 and 2 can't find anything and it turns out to be compression of the sciatic nerve root at L4.  Had that; quick laminectomy for the bone spur impacting the nerve.  Start with the least invasive.

• Posted

So is a tumour possible with my symptoms?
    • Posted

No idea.  You need imaging first. X-ray and MRI.  That's where you start.  If there is one (unlikely but who knows), the studies will show something.  Start with those tests plus blood work with your GP.  Your doc can rule out a lot initially and then recommend chiro, ortho or neuro to get the pain taken care of.

• Posted

I have an appointment with the doctor this morning, my boyfriend rang up yesterday, spoke to him amd apparently he didnt seem worried. I was actually sent to physio for my leg pain a while back, but was too worried to go.
  • Posted

The doctor has said it is a possible slipped disc in my lower back, referred me to physio, so i jjst hope hes righht
    • Posted

Sounds like pinched nerve in lower back. Actually I have a young friend who was diagnosed with a large tumor in chest and no symptoms except tired and lost extreme amount of weight within 6 months and tumor growled to size of grapefruit..Have MRI to be sure but physical therapy can solve pain issues caused by taunt muscle or injured muscles we don't even realized are damaged sometimes...good luck and prayers.

PS worrying is harder on you than you realize get ER done honey!

• Posted

Hi Emily this looks much like pains due sciatica, you should definitely see a neurologist for a confirmatory diagnosis. But I’d suggest you try out the traction therapy system (DETENSOR) the system is designed to stretch the spinal column thereby alleviating any compression on the spine which I think might be your problem.

Its main benefits are

·         Widening of intervertebral spaces.

·         Loosening of muscle tension by lasting distension of musculature and ligaments.

·         Volumetric increase of disks, thereby lowering the pressure on nerve roots in prolapse cases or     compression.

• Posted

I never followed up with this. I had a physio appointment who said everything was fine and to go to the gym because apparently my leg muscles are weak.

Nothing said about a slipped disc.

The pain still hasn't gone and I'm still thinking that it is a nerve issue or something serious. I'm not sure what else to do as I've had this for nearly 3 years

• Posted

Hey Emily, I came to this forum because I was suffering from similar symptoms that you posted in another forum.

Are you still experiencing the twitching sensations in your body? I've been getting them for the last two months all over my body and went to a neurologist who classified it as BFS, a condition that is not life threatening.

I'm 30 years old and I play a lot of sports, but lately it's been tough for me since I have felt weakness in my legs and hands. 

It's hard not to think of serious illnesses when there are unexplained things going on with your body, so I know what your going through.

How many different doctors have you been to over the last three years?

• Posted

I've been recently getting twitches in the right side of my face, but then I get like cold sensations on my face and sharp pains elsewhere sometimes. Not sure if the twitches are related to anxiety as I am suffering health anxiety really bad at the moment.

I get sharp electric pains in my wrists at work (I'm a waitress) especially when stretching my arms out to set tables up. Not sure if it is overdoing it my wrists or something.

I have seen a few, some told me it's nothing, and then like the physiotherapist said go to the gym. She moved my joints, did the numb test, and then discharged me. So it's really frustrating

• Posted

Yea, I've been getting those shooting pains in my wrist and hand, too. I use my hands a lot for work as well (graphic designer, writer, photographer), so chalking it up to the possibility of that.

However, these muscle fasciculations are particularly worrisome for me. It started with my finger and thumb in my left hand two and a half months ago. Since then, it was migrated all over my body pretty progressively (as my anxiety has increased). Now I feel it on both sides from both my legs (thigh, hamstring, calf) to my feet (Top and bottom part) to my arms (bicep and tricep), shoulder, wrist and hands and even my abdominal area. Going for a follow-up appointment next week, but can't help but anticipate the worst, like you.

I read your last post and you thought your symptoms were of ALS a couple years ago. Assuming you don't still think this since so much time has passed?

• Posted

I don't think the muscle twitching will be anything sinister as anxiety and stress can cause it, plus the most you worry about a symptoms and focus on it, the worse they get. I learnt this the hard way.

My leg symptom has been the same which was why I was worried about als as it started off with weakness in my leg and then the pain which is worse in bed and when sitting. My boyfriend says that if the physiotherapist said I was fine then I must be. You don't have pain for 3 years without a reason though

• Posted

If your physiotherapist said that you are fine, he/she is possibly on drugs and not thinking straight, just saying.

Anyways...have you seen your primary care doctor? Imaging is the next step, preferably MRI. They will most likely find a herniated or protruding disc which is more common than people think and can be helped with a good physiotherapist.

As far as your wrists, sounds like a coincidence that it is happening at the same time. You use your hands a lot? And do you work on a computer a lot? The wrist and hand pain is most likely coming from "bad posture" a nerve root in the neck being pinched. It's crazy, in this day in age we all use smart phones, computers and do a lot of things that mess up our posture....with that said, look up these exercises for your arms me wrist: Gentle door way pec stretch, lower trap squeeze, middle trap squeeze and a median nerve glide. Make sure all of these are done gently and stay out of ranges of motion that cause increased pain. Stop if any cause increased symptoms. Also, you might try kinesiotape to your firearms and wrists...you can by it online and some stores and look up YouTube videos for wrist pain taping techniques.

Ultimately, consult your doctor and find a different physiotherapist...I would suggest going to smaller physiotherapist clinics where they will have and take the time to spend with you and help you problem solve.

Best of luck!

Physical Therapist Assistant in Arizona.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.