Back to drinking after 4 months without.

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi guys I am a bit disappointed with myself. After a year of sleeping problems I began to self medicate with alcohol to knock myself out but I noticed after a couple of weeks of drinking every night that I started to get depressed and super anxious when not drinking, I guess withdrawals? So I gave up and just put up with my sleeping problems, maybe taking the odd sleeping tablet.

But last night after 40+ hours awake I went and bought a few strong drinks. Well I ended up blacking out from the drinking and the next thing I know it's 8 hours later from the point I last remembered and I woke up in bed. I must have gone to bed not long after I last remember because I checked my internet history on my tablet I was using and it showed not no activity after midnight (I woke at 7.45).

Anyway I am a bit disappointed to have given in and drank, but just relieved I slept all that time.

3 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi i feel your pain , i just cant get to grips with my alcohol takes edge off everything. I feel guilty every day i want to try tsm but just keep putting it off. I guess im just not ready to many other issues just an excuse keep trying
    • Posted

I'm sick to death of not sleeping properly, it just makes me feel anxious and depressed. I didn't drink last night & didn't fall asleep until about 5am, only had 3 hours fitful sleep so it's back to the drink tonight.

• Posted

Wov 3 hours. Do you work full time and is it a demanding job i wonder. Most jobs are demanding..just feel your pain. I went to bed at 2210 but woke up at 0425am. Watched my tablet and managed to sleep later from 0600 tiil 0645am. Felt ok...how to help you?
  • Posted

Your story with the sleeping aids is chiming with mine. I don't sleep very well (for the last year or so - before that I always used to sleep like the proverbial log). I recently got some Boots own-brand Sleepeaze which is Diphenhydramine hydrochloride and that seems to help me on most nights. If that doesn't work, I have recently taken up reading novels again to help me relax. At least then you are not just lying there at 3 oclock getting frustrated! I am a regular evening drinker, btw - barely ever feel drunk, just confident, relaxed and happy - but various methods I've tried to cut down just make me very anxious and inclined to drink even more!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.