Back to problems after stopping mirtazapine

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been off mirtazapine completely for over six weeks after carefully withdrawing. These are not WD symptoms I am having now, but a return to my problems I had before mirtazapine. My insomnia is worse than ever. Even with a sleeping pill I don't get to sleep before 1 am and I am awake again at 6. I am so sleep deprived. But my insomnia returned whilst I was still on mirt, so again nothing to do with WD. I have absolutely no appetite, which is how I was before mirt and I am dropping weight at an alarming rate. I feel weak as a kitten but have a physical job caring for horses, so this cannot go on. This weakness and lack of sleep is going to drive me to depression again if I don't sort it out. But what can I do? I am sure it is a physical problem rather than a mental one. I can't go back on the mirt due to my blood counts and kidney problems. Any ideas? I think this is how my depression started before; lack of sleep and feeling so hungry but unable to eat.

0 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

So glad that you are feeling much better.  Just remember things always seem to come in waves.  Just when you think you have it beat wham something hits you.  Don't talk about losing weight I am still losing from when I first got sick in July and all of this crap started for me and how I ended up on Mirt.  I have lost 48 pounds and continue to lose.  I have had everything checked and everythng is fine except my Adrendal is in full out panic mode.  Therein lies my probelm.  Maybe you are just pushing yourself a little too hard with work.  I know it has tobe done but like you guys tell me be kind to your body as if heals.
    • Posted

Thanks, Kathy. I am feeling better again today. That is a huge amount of weight you've lost! I hope you find an answer.
  • Posted

Just an update. I am more convinced than ever this is not WD. It is a physical illness. I am 53 and was diagnosed with CKD stage 3 just over a year ago. I ache all over, have very itchy skin. My nails are awful and are what's called 'half and half' nails which I found is a sign of kidney disease. I have to do a very hard physical job taking care of horses, but am nearly passing out. I suddenly get hot and sweaty, then shivery. These symptoms get worse then better throughout the day (mainly worse). I am awaiting the results of my tests this week and will let you all know. My anxiety is a result of feeling this bad. I feel totally overwhelmed by the amount of physical work I have to do. I would feel mentally well if I wasn't feeling so ill.
    • Posted

Hi Evergreen

Get Well Soon, hoping you get some relief, and the results come back favourable !!  Sounds like you could use some respite regardless of what the results may be, any chance ??  

Look after yourself, thinking of you xx

• Posted

I have news!!!

​Thank you everyone for your continued support It really means a lot to me and helps greatly to know that people care. Yesterday the doctor called me and I knew he would only call me before our appointment if there was something wrong with my bloods. So my heart was in my mouth, because by then I was convinced I was going into kidney failure. But no, my kidneys had improved greatly! So it WAS the mirt that gave me kidney disease, but thankfully, since stopping, my kidneys have improved. Still below normal but loads better. Yay!

​Now to the bad part, but (hopefully) nowhere near as bad as kidney failure. My thyroid is over active, quite markedly so. Symptoms are nervousness and anxiety, heart palpitations, tremor, INSOMNIA, muscle weakness, fatigue, and increased hunger, but apparently some patients present with anorexia. So now everything falls into place. I am not having WD symptoms from mirtazapine; the mirt was masking my symptoms. The fact that I suddenly stopped sleeping on mirt was not that it pooped out but was the onset of my hyperthyroidism. But now to the big question; could mirt have caused it? I am going to do some research now.

​Doctor says I have to go in this morning for several more tests and then see him tomorrow for the results and possible treatment if hyperthyroidism is confirmed.

• Posted

I am glad that you are finally getting some answers, it seems - and hopefully you can now get treatment and start improving, and enjoying life again. It's good news that your kidneys have improved, that's one worry less! All the best pixie xx
    • Posted

In a bizarre sort of way I'm delighted for you Evergreen. It's the least worst outcome if you get what I mean.
    • Posted

I know exactly what you mean. I feel so relieved it is not kidney disease and also that it is not protracted WD because there's not much you can do about either. I also thin if it had been WD then it was not good news for so many people trying to get off mirt because I had seemingly got off it unscathed only to suddenly get WD after 4 weeks. Now that is scary, and thankfully now not the case. My shaking and nervousness does not mean a return to depression and anxiety.

​My only (slight) worry now is I still have a low white blood cell count and the doc has done another two blood tests, one of which is ERS which tests your inflammatory markers (which can indicate an auto immune disease or cancer). I'll know the results of those tomorrow when I see the doctors.

• Posted

Hi Evergreen

Well that sounds a little better, lets hope your doctor comes good for you and pushes out all the stops.  Totally changes everything now ... yes you're right, it helps others on this site to know its not the WD !  

Here's to hoping its not an auto immune problem now, you get the results tomorrow for that did you say?  

• Posted

Thanks, Calmer. Yes tomorrow at 3. They repeated the thyroid test today too just in case the first one was wrong. So should know more tomorrow.
    • Posted

Hi evergreen. Have been following this post with interest and hoping and keeping my fingers crossed for you. I know that awful feeling of shakiness and nervousness and it's horrible. For those of us that want to ween off mirt eventually it is really hard to see what you are going through now but as you say it doesn't seem to be WD but even so it scary to think that the mirt may caused some of these problems. Take care X
    • Posted

Thanks, Jean. I know for a fact that mirt caused my kidney disease. Thankfulluy it doesn't seem to have been a permanent thing, although I still have below normal function. My mum is convinced it is responsible for the thyroid problem too. She said it obviously lowered my metabolism before (hence the weight problems and constant dieting). She thinks the hyperthyroidism may be a compensatory reaction to that and that it may be temporary so I should be very careful about having drugs to correct it. Who knows, she may be right? I'm in a bit of turmoil at the moment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.