Back to problems after stopping mirtazapine

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been off mirtazapine completely for over six weeks after carefully withdrawing. These are not WD symptoms I am having now, but a return to my problems I had before mirtazapine. My insomnia is worse than ever. Even with a sleeping pill I don't get to sleep before 1 am and I am awake again at 6. I am so sleep deprived. But my insomnia returned whilst I was still on mirt, so again nothing to do with WD. I have absolutely no appetite, which is how I was before mirt and I am dropping weight at an alarming rate. I feel weak as a kitten but have a physical job caring for horses, so this cannot go on. This weakness and lack of sleep is going to drive me to depression again if I don't sort it out. But what can I do? I am sure it is a physical problem rather than a mental one. I can't go back on the mirt due to my blood counts and kidney problems. Any ideas? I think this is how my depression started before; lack of sleep and feeling so hungry but unable to eat.

0 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The doctor confirmed that the second test showed the same hyperthyroidism. I asked whether the mirt could have caused it either directly or as a result of WD and he said definitely not, but it COULD have masked the disease. I now wonder if I was wrongly diagnosed with depression at the time and the mirt just treated the symptoms. After all the symptoms of hyperthyroidism are:

​Being restless, nervous, emotional, irritable

Insomnia

Palpitations

Tremor

All of which I had. However, I had a rare presentation of the disease; anorexia. Usually an overactive thyroid gives you a ravenous appetite. I suppose that's why I was diagnosed with depression.

• Posted

Oh and I missed the main symptom - depression.

​I have been put on Carbimazole. Of course that means another fight with my weight, lol. Better savour the skinny me whilst it lasts!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.