Back to work

Posted , 12 users are following.

So after a lot of thought I’ve decided to go back to work on a phased return. My sick note runs out on 9th April.  I’m on my feet for 6 hours a day Mon-Fri so will try 3 days for few weeks to see how i get on. 

I will be 10 weeks post op by then. I feel very low some days so I may benefit from  returning. Has anyone found their return to work helpful, stressful, the right thing to do? 

😊

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was off work 6 months with each knee. If you can it would be better if you delayed your return as long as possible. People have different circumstances, but the longer the better.
  • Posted

Thanks David

Yes I will bare that in mind. As I sit here now I’m wondering if it’s the right thing to do 😂 I’ll probably change my mind and back at least 10 times before then

Hope you are keeping well 😊

• Posted

Hi all,

I’m going back to work on the 3rd April. I’ll be 11 weeks post op. I’m doing 2 x 4 hour days at work location and 3 x4 hour days at home. I am really nervous about going back. I feel I have lost some confidence. I am ok local and with local people but not do sure about getting back out there.  I am also quite dedicated to the exercise routine and wonder if I’ll have the energy to do the both. I am quite young for a replacement at 52 and people seem to think I can just snap back and get on with things. I feel some are quite impatient with my rehabilitation.

Good luck Wendie with your return I hope it all goes well 😃👍

• Posted

Hi Louise 

Yeah it is daunting for sure. I did suggest to my boss to do 3 days but I’m gojng  to tell him 2 days and see how I manage. Now I’ve read all these replies I’m having doubts 😫 I’ve still got couple I weeks to decide so shall see how I go 

Many thanks for all your replies guys. It’s been massive help 

Good luck with your return Louise. Hope it goes well 😊

• Posted

Hi wendie I'm 6 months post op and I've been back to work since February on a phased return. Started the first week on 3x 4 hour days, the second week I did 3 normal shifts and have done this ever since by using annual leave up that I was entitled to. Just getting back to full hours now. My biggest problem was feeling so tired, it didn't take long for the energy to be drained out of me. I've got a Fitbit so I'm finding if I do over 15000 steps I have to ice and elevate when I get home. I'm taking less pain killers which is always a positive sign. The job I do is stressful anyway I'm an intensive care nurse so I get drained pretty quickly. For me as soon as I could a decent amount of steps without my knee swelling up I was ready to go back to work. 

• Posted

Hi Wendy  I had my TKR on the 1st of November what a rollercoaster ride it has been and still is 

due to start work on faced return on 1st of march ,not getting the bend so the surgeon decided to manipulate ,I thought once the manipulation I would be straight back to work the following week ,

how wrong I was , I am now getting a better bend but struggling with pain and walking, so not sure how long I am going to be off now  good luck hope it goes ok ,I am desperate to get back to normality x

• Posted

Hey Debbie,

Best of luck and don't forget 'Your Health is your Wealth'

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Very true saying lol ,but  just having my health won't pay the bills I'm afraid ,

wish I had done my research before having the TKR ,It never entered my head I would be off work 5 myths plus ,when does it all end and I can get back to normal ,I have got to get back to work soon and I'm dreading it love my job but just know it's going to be a struggle working please tell me it gets easier and it's just the manipulation that has knocked me back .

thanks for listening really pleased I have found this forum x

• Posted

It gets easier and it's just the manipulation that has set you back. 😊 Why not try one day or two half days per week to start? Is there any work you can do from home?

• Posted

Hi Wendie

I went back at 4 weeks phased return for 3 hrs a day for 3 days week 5 was 4 and 5 hours a day full time from week 6. mUCH TOO SOON. Even sitting. I was exhausted ended up having to take Oral morphine some nights again. Felt I had to prove my worth. Physio couldn’t work with me on one occasion as I was so exhausted. Bend 125 straight now -4 at week 10. I’m still

In lots of pain. To add to it all my manager said to me yesterday how it had taken me some time to get back into work. I was so upset. 

It doesn’t pay to kill yourself if you can afford to stay off then do. I couldn’t sadly. 

I’ve never felt exhaustion like this and I can get very tearful with it. My Physio said to see occupational health; work have just said to see how I am next Physio visit. I’m sitting down most of day. Don’t have time to do exercices at work. Please think long and hard about going back. Yes my ROM is good; I look better for doing something but I don’t go out anywhere. I go to work I come home and I go to bed. It’s no life at the mo. 

• Posted

Oh dear trees .i wouldn’t or couldn’t of even thought about going back after 4 weeks, but I do understand other don’t have the luxury of having a good boss. I’m so sorry for you that your work couldn’t of understood a bit more. It is a catch 22 sometimes isn’t it. You need time to recover but also need to earn money. 

Keep positive you will get there and keep posting 😊

• Posted

Thanks Wendie 

Nice to have support. It hasn’t been easy but I am getting there. I printed off Chico’s journey guides, one for the journey you think your on the other for the actual journey. It helps lol 

• Posted

You most certainly are dear sir and displayed in the NSPCC office in the U.K. thank you for all of your advice it has been a god send. 
    • Posted

Your picture is also hung in a prominate place. I put a copy in the post office among the other stack of wanted posters. My team is in Texas for the big tourney. Hooey they make it till Monday.

Weather is still making it hard for those of us with joint problems. Today's forecast for Easter Sunday, 2 to 5" of snow. Have a great weekend.

• Posted

Geez....it's in the 60's to 80's down here in DFW.  Sooooo glad we moved.  Sooooo glad it's not my mug shot hanging in the post office!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.