Back to Work - When & Risks?

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi All,

Firstly, Thank you all for your input and advice over the last few weeks.

Yesterday I had my 6 week PO review with my surgeon, he was very happy with every aspect of my recovery. However, when I mentioned returning to work, he was adamant that not for another 6 weeks. He said that too many people feel pressure to go back to work too soon, do damage by overdoing it and kick themselves 12 - 18 months later due to some form of correction or achieving less than optimum results.

My work would require about 50/50 office/factory floor walking and an hours commute.

I would welcome input / opinions from anyone's experience.

Thanks,

Al

0 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Listen to your doctor!!! If you go back to work too soon you could do more harm than good. The thought of work is often easier than the actual doing work all week!!! Youve had major surgery and are still healing, and I'm sure work won't collapse and close down without you. 😉
    • Posted

Thanks Chris. I appreciate your short, sweet and accurate advice. It is probably exactly what I would say to a friend or colleague.

Hope all is well.

Thanks again,

Alan

• Posted

Hi, good to hear you're recovery is going so well. If you're able to I wouldn't rush back to work, take the advice of your surgeon he has lots of experience with patients in this area. I am due back to work in 2 weeks, I have a desk job but seriously doubt I will be ready as still spending much of the day with my leg elevated. Listen to your body, in your heart I think you know whether or not you are ready to return and after all the hard work of the last 6 weeks no-one wants setbacks.
    • Posted

Thanks Sandra,

I know I want to get back to work, but yes, deep down I know I am not ready. It is a fast paced business and a demanding job.

Thanks for your advice and support all along.

I hope you are keeping well.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

You may only need a couple more weeks, it's quite astonishing when you consider what has been done how the body heals itself little by little day by day. You said you have an hours drive, when we're you able to start driving again, I'm really missing my independence
    • Posted

Hi Sandra,

I am not driving yet. My surgeon told me to have a trial in an empty car park. I moved the car out of the drive and back in last night. It felt relatively OK, but not sure I'd be comfortable hitting the brakes quickly if I needed to.

I am going to my group physio session now and I will ask some of the participants and let you know the feedback later.

• Posted

I know I'm not ready to drive yet, but am hoping at 6 weeks I will be able too but I won't rush it if I'm not ready. Hope your physio goes well today and thank you too for all your support and advice the last few weeks. I wouldn't have got through them without the help and support of everyone on here, I was so unprepared for the reality, but things are very very slowly improving.
  • Posted

Hello Al - I have read your posts with interest and know that you are doing great.  Going back to work - NO! not yet - the 1 x hour commute alone will upset your leg. BUT Financially if you do have to go back to work then could it be a phased return?   Shorter hours or your duties looked at and modified.   If I get tired or stressed (8wks post op) my leg is the first thing that suffers - it stiffens and becomes painful - does yours do this?   I like the routine and going back to being normal when it comes to work, it gives me structure but I know this op has had a variety of effects on my that I did not expect.

If your surgeon wont sign you off as fit have you got a choice?

• Posted

Hi, I went back to work after two knee ops one in March and one in April, I went back to work last week, I work at a college so do a lot of walking throughout the day, luckily I have this week off as it is half term. But I found that last week at work was great but tiring and have learnt the hard way, that when you come in from work you need to rest, ice and elevate your leg or you will feel like you've been run over by a bus, mental it's great getting back to work, but physically it's hard, I went straight back to doing 33 hours, so maybe think about a phased return.
    • Posted

No I had a menisectomy, manipulation and repair to my left knee, with an acl rupture, ( this was done 3 months after my accident) , the ACL wasn't removed on the first op as this was done on the NHS, I went privately after this op as only had 40degrees of movement due to the captured knee, had the next op privately 6weeks later on the same knee, had my ACL removed, blood and fluid removed, meniscual tear sown up and manipulation on leg to try and get it straight. Hamstring had shrunk by 3-4 inches, so have had physio every week (privately) to get me walking. P.s I had an accident at an exercise class on 22nd Dec 2015.
    • Posted

That's amazing to be back at work already! Don't overdo! Good luck!
    • Posted

The consultant said that I would be ok to go back to work, plus I only have 4 full weeks before breaking up for the summer. Hopefully I will be able to have my ACL repair in August, I've been off for 5 and a half months. I know that I need to rest each evening next week and as for help from my family with cooking etc. Good luck
    • Posted

Thank You Saljy,

That is exactly what I'm a bit concerned about.

Thank You,

Alan

• Posted

I am at 10 weeks p o and I could not imagine going back to my volunteering job. Time heals all wounds they say. Give it time and listen to the expert, if you can.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.