Back to Work - When & Risks?

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi All,

Firstly, Thank you all for your input and advice over the last few weeks.

Yesterday I had my 6 week PO review with my surgeon, he was very happy with every aspect of my recovery. However, when I mentioned returning to work, he was adamant that not for another 6 weeks. He said that too many people feel pressure to go back to work too soon, do damage by overdoing it and kick themselves 12 - 18 months later due to some form of correction or achieving less than optimum results.

My work would require about 50/50 office/factory floor walking and an hours commute.

I would welcome input / opinions from anyone's experience.

Thanks,

Al

0 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Irish Al!

It's GREAT to hear all is going so well for you following surgery! Taking six more weeks, maybe even more, will CONTINUE to benefit you because you will be able to rest as needed and give your body precious HEALING time. We heal when we sleep. If we don't get the rest we need, healing slows down. NONE of us want THAT!

In my experience with my two TKRs (June and October 2015), the best gift I gave myself was TIME to rest, heal, and progress at my own pace.

If a nap calls, BE READY!

Keep moving every hour to help combat stiffness and get stronger.

Stretch often.

Drink plenty of water.

Stay positive, and enjoy 6 more weeks of healing time.

Wishing you continued progress in your recovery!

• Posted

Thanks Cheryl,

I think I'm convinced, you are so right about the rest.

Thanks & take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi! 

I've got my  6 week PO appointment at 2pm today & it will be interesting as to what the surgeon says! Last time (he did my left TKR in 2014)he had two X Ray's done to make sure that everything was still in position & then examined the knee etc. said he was happy re driving, going back to work etc. so off I went like a lamb to slaughter..... then suffered with a very swollen knee, pain etc until I reached 6/7months!

I only work 15 hours a week doing admin work at a desk, but not being able to elevate your leg or ice etc doesn't help with the recovery and as you will be working full time and walking too, if you can afford to have a few more weeks off or at least do a phased in return to work I'd advise trying that option. As for me, well I'm desperate to get back to "normal" as I'm fed up with being at home but this time I'll be very cautious about sitting for three hours a day at my desk! By the way, my physio warned me last time not to use an office chair with wheels as you risk twisting your knee and so I found a chair with four static legs to use for a month or so.

🚶🏻

• Posted

Thanks Glenda,

Very interesting.

Look forward to your return after today's visit.

Take Care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi!

I was in the surgeon's room for about all of five minutes! He asked me to straighten my leg and then bend it under the chair as far as possible and then he declared that it was fine and he would see me in a years time!

Thank goodness that I have a couple of physio sessions booked!

• Posted

S**t 😠

That makes me furious.

Who does he think he is?

This is not acceptable. You need some professional and caring attention.

Please Glenda, do whatever it takes. This is Your health; Your life, this is not a rehearsal.

Ask him, if he's not helping, get someone else.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi iv just finished my 2 nd shift back at work and im 15 wks po! I was desperate to return to work and had 12 wks in my mind from just after my op! The date got nearer and i wasnt walking that well so i mentioned it to my gp and pt! They both said i had to be careful not to over do it as it would set me back! My physio said to me how far was i walking each day. At that point about 45 mins! He said that was a lot less than a shift at work! I am not on my feet all day its about half and half like you! I thought he had a point! I have said that just to make you think!

It is a major op and our bodies have loads of healing to do after so do be careful. The daily exercises walking and strengthening is hard to do so i didnt want to undo my hard work! It is hard mentaly to not be at work but it is only a short time in our lives! I struggled mentaly but now im back it is hard! Im doing a phased return a wk of 4 hrs then a wk of 5 hrs then 2 wks of 6 hrs before i go up to a full day! I start at 6 am which i am doing! Im tired just doing 4 hrs! I have come home today elevated and iced! My thoughts are be careful take it slow and dont expect to much from your body! It is so important we recover propaly. Everyone says it takes 6 mnths to feel back to normal. Im only 49 and havent been paid sick pay for the last few wks but i convinced myself it was daft to have come this far and damage my knee at the last hurdle! Sorry if this seems like a nag! Lol! Everyone heals at dif rates and we have to listen to our bodies! A few wks ago i thought i was never going to get there but im pleased now. Be kind to yourself!

• Posted

Thank You Debbie,

Plenty of food for thought.

Interesting comparing what I am walking right now versus what walking if back at work????

I will be very careful.

Than You,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Debbie, I am 11 weeks po and saw my gp today as sick line was up. She gave me another 2 weeks but has said when I go back I am not allowed to lift or climb and have to try and sit as much as i can. I am a teaching assistant and at the end of term will not go down well. I am on my feet 7 1/2 hours a day, my only consolation is it will only be a few weeks and then off for a few.   I can only walk about 20-25 mins you are doing well going for 45. GP said it can take up to a year and to try take it easy for then, keep up with the physio indefinately and static bike and also try to increase the walking. She said keeping doing the physio was really important especially the quad and thigh, as if we stop our muscles will weaken again and need to keep them strong or knee may give. yes we all heal differently am so glad i have got this far. Best wishes to everyone else, Sue
  • Posted

Oh dear what a dilemna work interesting a dan stimulating v solitude, boredom and exercises lol!  Seriously, trust your instincts and listen to your Dr. Maybe it would help to negotiate a phased return to work maybe every other day at less hours eventually.  I don't know how old you are but bodies need time to recover from the trauma of the operation, I had a spinal there was lots of sawing and hammering.....eek that's a shock to the system, e kind to yourself as long as you can and good luck
    • Posted

Thanks Suki,

I will take it on board.

Re age, I recently celebrated the 35th anniversary of my 21st birthday😉

I had spinal too, interesting experience.....hopefully a one off.

Thanks again,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Al glad to hear your doing well. Take head of your doctor and don't rush it. Maybe a staggered return to start with when you feel up to it. Just done my 4th week. Doing quite well. Seeing my doctor tomorrow to see if he will refer me to see a PT. Think I'm doing well with my exercises but would like a second opinion. Good luck with everything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.