Back to Work - When & Risks?

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi All,

Firstly, Thank you all for your input and advice over the last few weeks.

Yesterday I had my 6 week PO review with my surgeon, he was very happy with every aspect of my recovery. However, when I mentioned returning to work, he was adamant that not for another 6 weeks. He said that too many people feel pressure to go back to work too soon, do damage by overdoing it and kick themselves 12 - 18 months later due to some form of correction or achieving less than optimum results.

My work would require about 50/50 office/factory floor walking and an hours commute.

I would welcome input / opinions from anyone's experience.

Thanks,

Al

0 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Good for your Dr. All too many sign people off too soon and by the time it's realized, the damage is done. Give your guy a big thank you and buy him a good cigar.....even if he is a she.
  • Posted

Hi Al, well done on recovery to date. I am 11 weeks and going to gp now as sickline is up. Mentally I feel am ready to go back but am on feet 7 half hours out of 8 in a class of 5 year olds. I can't go phased return. Have been reading all your replies and can only walk 25mins and then suffer. I have no way appart from break to ice or elevate if need to.

Take what time you feel you need. I found a change in what I could do after 6 weeks. All the best ,

Sue

• Posted

Hi Sue,

Thank You. I hope your Dr covers you until you are ready for work.

Good Luck,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Sue have you tried Ibuprofen/Diclofenac gel on your leg, I find it relieves a lot of pain. Feel for you it sounds like too much for you right now, good luck

• Posted

Thanks Al, she gave me 2 more weeks and then see again and only go back if can do very little....will go down well in a school at the end of term. no climbing or lifting and sit  as much as i can. Will ring head and discuss options with her. Thank you Al. you take care too. Sue
    • Posted

Hi Suki,  I haven't tried them but i will do thank you. I use it on other knee which is starting to go too and it gives a bit of relief. The back of my leg gets really sore and she did say that is one area because it was so sore before may always give e problems, at least it is better than before. Thanks Sue
  • Posted

Listen to your Dr.  Today is my 2nd day back at work after 6 weeks Post Op.  Didn't think I was going to make it out of bed this morning, much less to work.  I didn't have a tkr but Microfracture, new cartliage and meniscus tear repaired.  Not near invasive as what you had but it is still tough.  I wish I had not pushed work for another week or so.
    • Posted

Thanks Cathy & well done.

I hope you keep on recovering as you were pre-return

Take Care,

Alan

• Posted

Al,

So happy everything is going well

Please listen to the professionals, they are the ones who know best.

As everyone says listen to your body as well. Don't rush it!!!!!!!!! Work will be there when you return.

I hope you are having a great day

Thanks

Tom

• Posted

Thanks Tom,

I will be doing as you and all the others have advised.

How are you doing?

Alan

• Posted

Alan

Very sore today, as had pt yesterday and he added new exercises to the program. Did all my exercises today. I am waiting to hear from surgeon as my knee seams to be catching something. My therapist felt this as well when he was moving my knee around.

Other then that I am relaxing watching TV and icing and elevating the leg.

I hope you are well and you are enjoying your day. As always thank you for your encouragement

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom,

I hope it's nothing too serious. I had a group physio today, and there is a young UCD intern who is excellent, but pushes hard, so I too am swollen, with leg elevated and iced.

It's beautiful here this week, which isn't very often, so I'd much rather be sitting outside. Maybe later🏖

• Posted

Hi AL

Just heard back from the doctor, the catching I am feeling could be hamstring tendinitis, this is something they will want to keep eye on. This is because he cleaned out alot of stuff from the back of my knee and around my hamstring. If does not improve over next two weeks with therapy call them back. Use ice and elevated right after pt and through out the day..

Thanks

Tom

• Posted

I hope it's nothing and passes Tom.

I got 96° today at group physio, so happy enough with that as it is after an hour in a car.

I think I'd be really happy if I ended up we it 105° or so.

I can't think why I need more.

• Posted

That is amazing way to go!!!!! Keep it going

I am back at therapy tomorrow, just did my afternoon exercises. So I have some free pain if anyone needs some. Time for ice

Have you gotten all the way around on a bike yet?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.