Back to Work - When & Risks?

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi All,

Firstly, Thank you all for your input and advice over the last few weeks.

Yesterday I had my 6 week PO review with my surgeon, he was very happy with every aspect of my recovery. However, when I mentioned returning to work, he was adamant that not for another 6 weeks. He said that too many people feel pressure to go back to work too soon, do damage by overdoing it and kick themselves 12 - 18 months later due to some form of correction or achieving less than optimum results.

My work would require about 50/50 office/factory floor walking and an hours commute.

I would welcome input / opinions from anyone's experience.

Thanks,

Al

0 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

l  am sorry about the first reply I tried to send. My ipad booted me out and I do not know how to edit anything on this site.

I am at 9 weeks p/o TKR on my left knee. I have been driving again for 3 weeks, now. My knee stiffens up after even driving for 30 minutes, even as being a passenger..

My PT, surgeon's case manager, and my GP all told me to not even think about going back to work until 3 to 5 more months.

I had both the epiduaral, and the general anesthetic. Thank God I did not hear any of the sawing or hammering going on.

I have a couple of friends who had TKRs, and went back to work too early; and, after a year after their surgery, are now experiencing difficulties with their knees.

As people have said on here, you know your body; you know how your knee feels. Do not rush back to work too quickly. Take care of yourself.

• Posted

Hi Darcy,

Thank You for good solid advice.

The experiences of your two friends really answer the question. I have no choice but to wait a few weeks before going back.

Re the spinal anaesthetic, it's not so bad.

I was ready for a general anaesthetic. Just before I went into theatre a junior anaesthisist mentioned that I was having a spinal. I said I was having a general. I was in shock. I spoke with my surgeon and senior anaesthisist, they gave me a choice, but convinced me to go for the spinal.

During the op I could hear the hammering, and under the influence of the sedative, it reminded me of my father using a lump hammer. The memories were very vivid. So in a weird & wonderful way I have very fond memories of it. Weird, but true.

Thanks again,

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Oh no Al I with my spinal had deep sedation too. I didn't want to hear anything. Could you feel anything I know not pain but tugging or anything.

I had a friend had a hip done with spinal and was able to watch it on a screen. He loved it. I think I am glad I was out!

• Posted

Hi Sue,

Good to hear from you.

I could not feel anything at all.

Towards the end of the op I was more awake and I became curiously I tried to look but could not due to the separator sheet. I did, at the last minute realise the TV screen was visible and saw them just finishing the stitches/staples and bandaging my leg.

I'm not sure shy I was curiously, I can't even watch NCIS or any gore whatsoever on TV.

I don't know how I would've reacted if I had seen some drilling or hammering!!! Maybe just as well I didn't.

How are you today? Weather beautiful here again today.

• Posted

Hi Alan, I have had a good, the weather is brilliant and i sat in garden reading in between doing a few things in house. The back of my leg is really sore tonight so I am icing it and then may have an early night. Hoping for a repeat of last night's sleep, I only woke once first time since op...maybe being  near 12 weeks is going to make a difference.

​How has your day been?

• Posted

Hi Sue,

I took it very easy today. I just rested a nbb d iced a good bit.

My son brought me for a spin along our coastline which is beautiful, especially when the weather is good.

As he is only learning to drive, it was a little bumpy, but worth it. We stopped and had a '99' together, nor great for the waistline but delicious.

Going to bed now, hoping for a good night's sleep nd hope you have the same.

I usually fall asleep lying in bed messaging on this site, so apologies to anyone I disappear on in mid conversation.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

You'll have to explain the "99"" to us Yanks. Hope that included a pint.
    • Posted

A 99 is an ice cream in a cornet with a chocolate flake stuck in the top. ;-)
    • Posted

Well I've heard of people putting a scoop of ice cream in Coca Cola, it's called a floater, maybe we could start a new craze!!
    • Posted

Hi OFG, Sandra,

Sorry I missed that '99' banter.

BTW Tom, a 'cornet' is a cone for the ice cream.

Some of the wotd dofferences/usage between us and the States can be funny.

Cutlery versus Silverware.

Boot versus Trunk

Bonnet versus Hood

Anymore Anyone?

Best wishes,

Alan

• Posted

How about

Chips in UK are fries in US but crisps in UK are chips in US !

Pavement verses sidewalk!

• Posted

Havent had one of those in years Sandra....takes me back!!
    • Posted

Hi Al , seen you like me did not really have a good night, maybe it's the heat!!!!, it is good though to get out and enjoy this lovely weather. Hope today is good for you, take care S
    • Posted

Thanks Sue,

How are you? 

Nice here again today.

My wife and kids are gone to a wedding,  havee the place to myself, so no excuse not to relax, but I will get bored. 

However, all good and looking forward to the day ahead. 

• Posted

.......and we park in the driveway and drive on the parkway.....

And so it goes.

• Posted

Or as I used to needle an Englishman I worked with....you write English.....how come you don't speak it.
    • Posted

Hi Al just enjoy the peaceful day but I know

what you mean it can get boring on own all day. I am doing very little today as think overdid it yesterday.

S

• Posted

Barometer changes (either way) can really cause grief. I've had Dr's discount that and others while heartedly agree it's a problem. I cane tell 2 days ahead when we are getting a weather change
    • Posted

Will do Sue, just doing my exercises, not a lot more.

It's absolutely beautiful here today. It must be in the mid - late twenties and blue skies.

Hope the rest of the weekend is the same. 😎

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.