Backache from sleeping on my back

Posted , 10 users are following.

Sorry, another thread about back sleeping.

For the last few nights I have been waking in the early hours with backache that is preventing me from falling back to sleep.  I have arthritis in upper and lower spine but I reckon it's just positional or at least a mixture of both.  I don't normally suffer from much pain in my back and it was onbly picked up on Xrays for other things.

I have a memory foam mattress topper, I'm trying pillows in various positions to support my back and knees, and taking pain relief when it's due.  I save 2 cocodamol for night time use.

It's probably too early for me to try side sleeping, and anyway was told after 6 weeks that I could sleep on operated side - no way could I sleep on that incision yet eek  I do find the differing advice on side sleeping confusing.  When I was in hospital they rolled me onto my good side with a pillow between my knees to change my dressing and told me never to turn on that side without a pillow between my legs.  I'm not sure whether they were inferring that I could sleep with a pillow between my legs and didn't think to ask at the time.  I was too busy hanging onto the bed rails for dear life!

Any advice you lovely folks can offer ??? 

Cels xxx

2 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The nurse at hospital rolled me onto my non-operated side to sleep the 2nd night and I have been alternating between this (pillow between my knees with another pillow under my feet) and on my back - feet supported by a thin pillow. i have a couple of extra pillows that I rotate through for extra support or while some dry from the sweats ... grrhh but I dislike the hot-cold slimy feel if the sweats.

Sleep is a very flexible term I find. I slept once for a 5 hour stretch but most often it is 2 hours at a time waking with the sweats or muscle pain soewhere. I've come to believe it is our body's way of waking us to stretch and indeed most nights I do a full round or two of my first prescription of them. This certainly helps things down a little so I can sleep UNLESS it is near time for a pill in which case I might as well give in to one.

Our pharmacist had both hips done at once and cannot understand why I am still taking pain meds at three weeks. Good thing my husband was there, I might have clocked him (smug nasty man even if he is also a hippie).

• Posted

Give him a slap from me too Linda.  Stupid insensitive man should know better!

I really think you've hit on something there, about our body waking us to stretch and move.  I know how stiff I am after just a couple of hours sleep so can imagine that after several hours it would be awful.  Very good point.

Are you in the UK Linda?  Interesting about your nurse rolling you onto your side to sleep.  I've noticed there are difference throughout the UK in the advice given, but even greater differences from the US and UK.

Hmmmmm!

I'm wiggling my toes after my socks coming off for a bit.  Sheer bliss.

​Cels xxx  

• Posted

Hi Cels - I am in Ottawa, Canada. There really seem to be great variations between practices in the UK, AU and CAN. I used to manage research programs and I am fascinated by the rich potential of the people involved on this site to feed research into these differences. Kate in particular, has quizzed a few of these, but there are dozens more embedded in our discussions. of course some relate to surgical training, others to the organisation of care (esp at the assessment stage ( in my city, they have organized a single assessment centre for all joint replacements; it increased standardisation and decreased wait times substantially) and composition of health teams involved. The biggest puzzle to me relates to the very 'hands off' approach all seem to use post-surgery. I truly believe a call line could help - thank goodness I found this site.

Thanks for your support re the pharmacist - I wondered after if I was simply being "too sensitive". But .. there is often a gentle spirit of competition amongst us as well, isn't there? I guess it is natural to want to mark our accomplishments and milestones - helps motivate us through some of the tougher aspects of recovery. I am struggling a bit with (yes the night sweats) and nausea. At first it was incidental but it has become more intrusive. And, it risks offending my main chef (and nurse and bottlewasher)! Of course the up side is that I am losing weight.

However, I continue to make progress with my exercises, have tackled (and mastered) the basement stairs so that I feel a little less claustrophobic and more independent.

I really hope you get a better sleep soonest.

Warm regards,

Linda

• Posted

The system really is hinky first thing in the morning. Just reread my post and I am aghast at typos ... sorry.
  • Posted

You can buy a bed support that you put on your bed, to lay your pillows on, like in the hospital where you are not completley flat, don't know if that would be any help, maybe don't even need the pillows with some, medical sites have them.

Personally I think they should lend us all a hospital bed, no worries about getting up then either, just push a button lol

• Posted

I've looked at the foam wedges from Amazon Lynn but the reviews are mixed.  They're only about 20" wide and people have said they just slipped down the bed.  My lounge rug is rolled up in the spare room so I don't trip over it and have thought about putting this under my mattress, but will probably persevere for the time being.  I would have to get someone to put it under for me and if it's not comfortable I'm stuck with it all night lol.
    • Posted

Ah, yes not good if you wouldn't be comfortable with it. You may get used to it .
  • Posted

Hi 1st Full hip surgery right leg Lateral 12 Jan started sleeping on my back, my husband made me which we calla cheese for between the bottom of my legs as they have in Hospital when ya wake up. Keeps my legs apart when i sleep on my back, Then i have to go back in again on 16 Feb to have another surgery as i caught an infection. I have now been laying on my back for 9 weeks, but it has only been 4 weeks since my second op. I had back surgery 7 years ago i have Titanium in my spine my Facet joints have had it, i had L5 S1 as i have Arthritis but my fusion did not take. On of my Physios told me never to try and lay on my good side incase i go midline. I make sure my hips. bottom are flat on the bed and put a pillow under my legs so they are well amost flat which takes the pressure off of my spine. Cels if you look at my story you can see where  i started from, i am looking at another 3 to 4 weeks on my back, i must say i am used to it now, but i have ever been a back sleeper, tried just moving on my operative side i lasted 2 seconds hurt like hell. We all will get on our sides in the ene and we can have a Side Virtual Party lots of hugs coming your way x
  • Posted

Hi forgot to tell you if you do not have one get a Matress topper cost just over £100 we have a visprung bed very expensive but i could not lay on our bed without our mattress topper over an inch thick and the cover can be washed in the machine. x
    • Posted

Thanks Daywalker, I do have a mattress topper bought just before my surgery and so glad I did.  I've rearranged my bed a bit today too so let's see what tonight brings.

Rotten news about the infection and one of the (many) things I worry about, but worrying is what I do best rolleyes

Loving the idea of a virtual side party.

Cels xxx

• Posted

So happy that you have your Mattress Topper. i had to have 18 days of a bloody strip wash, i hated it every minute of it. I had a shower on Sat hubs put a waterproof dressing on, i have original pic with my 38 staples, then the second op from my sutures, horrid scar. I am still so scared about having a shower withouth a dressing on. My Surgeon thinks that when from the original op in Jan i had 7 days with no dressing on that a some water may of got into my Staple hole as a coule of days after my shower one of my staple holes started to leak, in 4 weeks i went back to our Hospital 7 times, i had my own private room after my surgery which was nice. I am OCD at home this has made me worse. Origianlly my surgeon put me on Antibiotis started with 1 box then my staple hole was still leaking then abother box, then a 3rd and then into Hospital for a second op, i had 3 days of IV 4 times a day of Antibiotics and since being out of  Hospital i have to have 6 courses ie 6 boxes, I had a Nose and groin and a swab rest on the 15th of Feb a day before i second surgery, and it all came back clear. Saw my surgon last Wed he took my dressing off and said it looked ok. But on one side just anout an inch it seems thicker raised somehow though closed, unless i put a pic up you won't know what i mean, i have never put a pic on here, x
    • Posted

Awww Jeez.  Did they have to reopen the wound then and clean it up inside?  You didn't have to go through the whole op again I hope, that would have been a nightmare.  I read about soneone who had a deep wound infection having to havd the implant removed and be without a hip joint for a bit.  

I won't be showering for a while as mine is over the bath.  Strip wadhes aren't ideal but 

• Posted

Yes changed part of my hip the inside of the cup, they are unable to see behind it, and if that infection had got into my bone, i would not want to go down that road. Yes completely open me up apart from about an inch at the top, he did not find anyting stuffed loads of antibiotics in it, i have never been so scared in all my life the the swab came back with the result.  i am already on meds another 4 a day i guess now they are added to it. We have a showe en-suite, it is so hard for me not to shower once a day, i still have my raised toilet seat and 4 wooden blocks on a chair downstairs. CelsB what type did you have Lateral-side.?
    • Posted

Hi again,

My ipad was playing up during the last post so it was cut short..

i had a posterior incision.  The pain is basically just stiffness, the wound is a little sore too of course.  I get my staples out on Thursday so it'll be the first time anyone has looked at the wound since hospital.   I'll ask about wound care.  Some say it should be kept dry, some advise a moisturiser or oil to keep it supple but i'll be scared of introducing any infection, especially after you experience.   Glad to hear your op site was nuked with antibiotics and that these are ongoing.  Keep those pesky bacteria away!

Take care, Cels xxx

• Posted

Please let me know what they say abiut caring for wound as my dressing was removed last week by district nurse and nothing else said . Thankyou

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.