Backache from sleeping on my back

Posted , 10 users are following.

Sorry, another thread about back sleeping.

For the last few nights I have been waking in the early hours with backache that is preventing me from falling back to sleep.  I have arthritis in upper and lower spine but I reckon it's just positional or at least a mixture of both.  I don't normally suffer from much pain in my back and it was onbly picked up on Xrays for other things.

I have a memory foam mattress topper, I'm trying pillows in various positions to support my back and knees, and taking pain relief when it's due.  I save 2 cocodamol for night time use.

It's probably too early for me to try side sleeping, and anyway was told after 6 weeks that I could sleep on operated side - no way could I sleep on that incision yet eek  I do find the differing advice on side sleeping confusing.  When I was in hospital they rolled me onto my good side with a pillow between my knees to change my dressing and told me never to turn on that side without a pillow between my legs.  I'm not sure whether they were inferring that I could sleep with a pillow between my legs and didn't think to ask at the time.  I was too busy hanging onto the bed rails for dear life!

Any advice you lovely folks can offer ??? 

Cels xxx

2 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, Briefly have been sleeping with a pillow between my legs even before my hips were replaced in 1989 and still do and have totally fused spine, don't use to big a pillow, best wishes and good luck, Tony
    • Posted

Thanks Tony,

I too was sleeping with the pillow between my legs pre-op and think I will probably go on doing it for ever.

Cels xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.