BACKPOD for Costochondritis/Tietze's

Posted , 7 users are following.

I hope that fellow sufferers of Costochondritis / Tietze's may benefit from the following information. You may have considered buying a BACKPOD but are perhaps put off because it seems a little expensive for what it is. However, after trying out all sorts of cures for Costochondritis I decided that for less than the cost of two physio sessions I would give it a try. I'm extremely glad that I did as it has helped me enormously.

A little bit of background ... I'm a 58 year old UK female. All my life I have kept myself fit and healthy. Before November 2016 I was a regular at the gym, where I did a variety of strength and aerobic based exercises, I was a keen hill walker and led an active lifestyle. In November I went to my GP complaining of pain below the left rib cage. Over the course of several months gastric or heart related sources of the pain were ruled out through various tests (ultrasound, chest X-ray, ECG etc.) and various painkillers were prescribed, which didn't really get rid of the pain and some had unpleasant side effects. Finally in May 2017 I was diagnosed with Costochondritis. I was advised not to lift or stretch and to rest as much as possible. I hadn't heard of

Costo before, and neither had family and friends, so I started researching on the internet. I tried various recommended lotions and potions and various things like anti -

inflammatory diets, and exercises, which didn't seem to give much relief to my pain.

Not wanting to aggrevate my condition further, or have any setbacks, the Backpod appealed to me as I could take things at my own pace. I started using it daily in July and it has certainly helped to free-up my ribcage. You simply position it under your back then lie back on it, starting with three pillows under your head, and over the weeks progressing down to zero pillows. It's September now and I have reached zero pillows in nine places on my back for a minute at a time. This means that the maximum time spent is less than ten minutes a day which anyone could easily fit into their daily routine. Over the weeks I've looked forward to using it for the relief it gives. Don't expect results if you don't persevere every day. I think my back was well ceased-up because it was a few weeks before things started to improve.

I'm not 100% back to fill fitness but I feel that massive progress has been made and I feel very positive that things will continue to improve. For example, as pathetic as it sounds, a few months ago I couldn't slice bread, chop veg, lie on my side, reach up, carry even the smallest weight, walk with arms swinging or drive without instant pain; now all of these things are possible.

I'm extremely grateful to the New Zealand inventor of the Backpod, Steve August, for his helpful advice and encouragement, after I purchased it. He suggested that a combination of Sports Massage treatment with the Backpod would be a good combination. He was right. I now walk 2 x 30 minutes each day and do daily gentle stretching exercises.

Steve has made YouTube videos about Costochondritis and the Backpod and his explanation of Costo as a mainly mechanical problem makes sense to me.

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Please give me the link to his site ... this sounds like exactly what I need!
    • Posted

If you have Costo too you have my sympathies. You could simply type the word Backpod into the Amazon website and you'll find the product. Surprisingly mine took only a week to arrive, even though the estimated time was a lot longer than that, sorry I can't remember exactly but several weeks. The Amazon seller name is: offizieller_Backpod shop.

You can see the product on YouTube where it's inventor, Steve explains about Costo and using the Backpod. The site is: HOW TO FIX (MOST) COSTOCHONDRITIS AND TIETZE'S SYNDROME.

Let me know if I can be of further help. All the best!

• Posted

Thank you! I am a 74 yr old lung cancer survivor, heart attack survivor and COPD sufferer ... I miss going to the Gym with my friends! Didn't do much ... walked the treadmill and the the stationary bike, but it was something! I can't seem to do that now that I have this! I don't want to "rest"! I want to be fun and active again ... I'm going to put this on my Christmas List ... 

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that you've having such a rough time. I hope that your condition improves soon and that it's not too long until you can enjoy being with your friends again. Take care.

• Posted

I totally agree with you. Unfortunately this site will soon delete your post because they apparently dislike people mentioning the "pod". It's the only thing that worked for me. After using it for over 18 months now I would say that i'm 95+% better after a lifetime of high mileage driving I was well and truly seized up. To anyone who reads this thread before it's pulled, Steve August is a gem. It is beyond me that this site is happy to promote useless medication but refuses to let something that actually works to be known about.

• Posted

Thanks for your warning. I hope that you're wrong about my review being taken off this site. As you say it's a great product and could potentialy save people from a lot of suffering. Fingers crossed!

• Posted

Hopefully, by the looks of things the policy may have changed as everything seems to be up still which is excellent news. The device works for sure!
    • Posted

I hope that this post isn't removed when fellow sufferers could possibly benefit.

I read somewhere, maybe in the instruction booklet, I'm not sure, that the Pod could be used whilst driving. Have you heard of or tried this?

• Posted

Yes, it can be used when driving. When I was emailing Mr August he suggested it, as I do a lot of driving. I did try it but it didnt suit me as I usually had passengers on board and I preferred to do the daily floor routine which I still do about every other day.
  • Posted

Hi costochondritis chris, I noticed you sent me reply but it hasn't been sent though for me to read yet, I noticed by your other replys you suffered from costochondritis, please if you had the time let me know if you suffered these symptoms I'm having I've not been diagnosed and I'm worried I have heart problems, I suffer, shooting pain electric type pain In chest, pain/tingles/heaviness in arm, short of breath, palpitations, neck soreness and a tender breast bone( no swelling), 90% of the time all on my left side, 10% my right side, I feel tired all the time as well, this happens most days on and off though out the day it's been happening for 3 weeks now and I have had a couple of days in between were I feel alright, thank you so much for your time. Lynsey x

• Posted

Hi Lynsey,

I don't know why my message hasn't been released. I hope you get it soon. Maybe it was too long as I included a lot of information to try to help you.

The symptoms that you describe fit with my Costo symptoms. Which country are you in? Get your GP to refer you to a Rheumatologist ( no charge on the NHS in UK) so you can have a diagnosis that will put your mind at rest one way or the other. I think that being anxious is really bad for Costo because your body tenses and the pain increases.

Look at the YouTube clip 'How to Fix (most) Costochondritis and Tietze's to understand more about the condition.

Let me know if I can help further. I hope this message reaches you.

Take care. C.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.