Baclofen for alcoholism

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm 47 year old woman and was drinking up to 3 bottles of wine a day for years.although it was a slow progression from teenage years till now.I have been on it since 9th of August and didn't believe it would work for me but had to give it a go as I was desperate.Well it hit my SWITCH as they call it on 26th of August.I can't believe is that simple.I just don't want to drink anymore.Have even been to the pub for lunch and it doesn't interest me at all.This drug WORKS!!....Just can't see how it will get approved for drug abuse anytime soon as its out of patent and all that entails.Side effects are pretty severe but so is being drunk all the time

3 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

There are many articles about baclofen and addiction. One claims that in recent trials 100 people suffering from alcoholism, or alcohol abuse, about half found their cravings had reduced considerably. Some said they were completely cured, while some said the side effects caused them to stop taking it as they felt so ill.

the main stumbling block seemed to be finding a gp willing to prescribe it. The majority of people taking baclofen obtained it from 'varying sources', mainly off the Internet or from a private Dr who would issue a private prescription.

Personally, the list of side effects would put me off taking it.

• Posted

I did get mine from the Internet and have ordered another batch.It is costing a lot of money and next time I will approach my go but I don't hold out much hope.But what I have spent on the baclofen I have saved ( or will save) on wine.I am taking 180 milligrams and 2 days after I titrated up to this amount is when I became indifferent to alcohol.I will leave it a while on this amount and they start to titrated down
    • Posted

I would have deep reservations about ordering drugs online. Plenty of warnings that you don't know where they came from or what they actually contain. Many concerns about the age of the drugs, with the possibility that they could be drugs which have been discarded by drug companies and are in the 'wrong hands'.

having said that, I'm aware that many people order drugs online without any problems. The above is purely my own view based on articles and reports ive read/seen.

Am pleased you have found something which is obviously working well for you. My GP won't prescribe nalfemene which I accept, but wouldn't resort to buying it online. However, each to their own

• Posted

Why won,t your GP prescribe you Nalmefen? Did you ask? It is on the NHS now. I would take that further or find a gp who will. I am on it and it works great.

• Posted

Is it true that gp's are prescribing it as that's the brand name of baclofen I got from the internet
    • Posted

Nicole, what is the name of the medication printed on the box/bottle please?

I don't understand your reply to ray21540.  He mentioned about Nalmefene which is not baclofen.

• Posted

Wow, that is very similar isn't it?  biggrin

Thanks for replying so quickly, didn't want any confusion.....

• Posted

Hi Joanne,

Are you from C three Europe because I am trying to log in but am struggling, if you reply to this message I can send a private message with my email

Many Thanks

Emma

• Posted

My first attempt to reply got moderated, presumably because I included my email address.

Yes, that is me.

Go onto the C Three Europe website and no matter what page you are on, this is a contact link in the menu on the left hand side.  Click that and it takes you to a page that lists 3 ways to contact me.

My email address is listed there.

• Posted

If you are serious about stopping then is there not a centre for people with addictions? Or tell your doctor you were so desparate to stop you ordered on line and it helped but you would rather take his advice.
    • Posted

I am going to see the doc next week and tell them all about it.Over the years I've back and forth to the docs and they just tell me to cut down ect.Have had 3 liver function tests that came back normal so I think they just thought I was just exaggerating.But haven't been back for about 7 years as I was spiralling out of control albeit privately,no one but my hubby knew how bad I was.now I'm really worried as my completion has changed and I'm bruising very easily
    • Posted

I was referred to an alcohol/drug centre and they'd never heard of it, I gave them the info which I'd found online and was told they wouldn't recommend it due to horrific side effects!!
    • Posted

I had a day programme where I went to the centre each day to take Subutex for codeine addiction. The side effects I must admit were lovely.
    • Posted

If you don't mind my asking, how did you get addicted to codeine? My husband was given codeine 30mg post surgery. I've taken a couple of them when I couldn't sleep, but didn't feel a thing. Didn't do or make me feel any different

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.