Bad hip Replacement - Hurts to sit

Posted , 20 users are following.

I had an anterior right total hip replacement 9 months ago now and its been nothing but problems!! I just found out I have adductor tendonitis which accounts for a lot of groin pain but also it hurts when I sit.

I can feel the new joint when i sit down and i can literally feel it through my butt cheek. Has anybody else had this?

Chrissy

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Patientzero007,

I am having a lot of trouble, too.  I had the posterior and it felt like I was sitting on a golf ball or bowling ball for at least 7 months. One day I woke up and it was gone. It's still painful down the outside of my thigh, I can't bend my knee because they tore my meniscus and I feel like I'm walking on marbles.  I very discouraged as they say it's the sciatic nerve.  I know I don't know a thing, but that part of the pain is gone but the other has remained. Now they want to give me steroid shots because it's supposedly caused by spinal stenosis!  I don't know whether I'll let them or not. The pain is in both knees and both feet and I feel like my legs are as stiff as a board. It'll be the beginning of the 10th month when I go back and I'm at a loss of what to do.  Like you, this has gone on way too long. As far as feeling the joint, I thought I was, too.  Then I read on this forum that it's too deep to feel. The pain is worse now than before I had the surgery, so I think I made a big mistake.  At least, I was aware of what I could and couldn't do and was always very aware of what I was doing. I'm going to get a second opinion if this dr. doesn't do something that can help. Having pain every single minute of every day for 7-10 months doesn't seem normal to me, but maybe I'm wrong.  Good luck, Chrissy.

• Posted

Oh Dana I sympathise. Six months post op and I don’t have a day - or night- without pain or discomfort. I am desperate to sleep but the pain in my pelvis and back wake me all the time. 

I can walk faster but not far and my leg swings out fro the knee. 

I was in a lot of pain before but nothing as persistent and debilitating as now! 

• Posted

Hello Chrissy

You need to get a second opinion.  This does not sound right.  What country are you from?  Is it easy/hard to get a second opinion?

All the best

• Posted

Im in Florida. U.S. i have gotten 2 opinion s who said the size looked right and was diagnosed with adductor tendonitis.. I am in more pain than before hip surgery..i thought it would be great but that's not result i got.

• Posted

Hi Chrissy:  I'm so sorry to hear you are having so much pain.  Not supposed to be that way anymore!  I had my left hip joint replaced 9/6, and while my thigh is numb, I have peripheral neuropathy in my legs, so if I have nerve pain, as I understand many others have experienced, at least I don't feel it.  However, I broke my kneecap and my left foot in 2015, and both swell every day when I walk, and I have a stress fracture in my knee, so as much as I am enjoying walking on my "new" hip, I am still in pain every day too.  The day before my surgery I attended a class given by my hospital of what to expect, etc.  I asked the moderator, who had his hip joint replaced, if he feels it.  He said no.  Well, I feel mine every day.  I guess I still have a lot of inflammation and that is why I feel it, but I am definitely aware of it.  Still have pain on the outside of my hip too, and my thigh feels bruised.  Doc said that feeling is from surgery (6 weeks ago?).  Anyhow, one day at a time.  Hope you're feeling better.  Janet

• Posted

So sorry to hear about yours! I think whether you feel it depends on your fat in your glutes... I am now 9 months out...very sorry i had this done. I wish you speedy recovery
  • Posted

Evening....I’m really sorry you’re feeling so bad.   I know how you feel.... I’ve been through a lot of this myself.   Having my first rhr then 3 weeks 2 days later I’m having a total hip revision due to a dislocation.   Was on this dislocated hip for at least a week if not longer.   Then six weeks of non weight bearing was rough.   Had the groin pain, then came the nerve pain.  Dr diagnosed me with bursitis and tendonitis.  Limped for months after surgery, still have a slight limp.  Finally dr referred me to a pain dr.  Injection in my femoral cutaneous nerve.   He diagnosed me with Meralgia Paresthetica.   This is a sensory nerve so every thing that touches my thigh bothers me.  Started about 7 months after second surgery.  Also saw neurologist. Had nerve conduction study done. I’m now 14 months out and am just starting to feel a little better.  I too felt like this new hip was being jammed into my butt every time I walked.  Sitting, I had and still have that feeling of sitting in on a ball.  That is slowly going away not as prominent as before.  I had dysplasia and was years short on this leg as time went on only got shorter.  All my muscles in this hip and thigh are atrophied for non use or not proper use of thigh and hip.  So these muscles were short.  When I got new hip it stretched these muscles, tendons and nerves. Not to mention retraining these muscles to move properly.   It’s been a very long road but I’m getting there. I too thought I should of never did this surgery but the pain was bad and it was getting harder to get around.  I was going to gym 3x week and the pain I endured afterwards was bad.   I know it’s hard but don’t give up.  Exercise as much as you can. Icing helps with pain and heat helps to soothe.  I have been doing that for months and believe me it really helps.   An occasional 1/2 pill of tramadol every now and then to get me through some of the days.  I’m also taking lyrica 3x day.  Thursday I’ll be trying a spinal stimulator for 7 days.   I have back issues too stemming from the hip.  For some of us this surgery will take longer for us too feel better.  Have you had X-rays  or mris of hip to ensure all is well?   I’ll keep you in prayer.  I know it’s disheartening but I really think all will get better with time. Are you able to exercise?   God’s blessings to you for healing and a speedy recovery. Hugs Linda
    • Posted

Hi you mentioned anything that touches your thigh irritates. I am a leggings and tunic girl but since the op they cause me so much pain I have to wear dresses. I can’t wear trousers, cut offs or tights. I have no idea what I will do when it gets really cold  😢

• Posted

Wow.  Was thinking of doing anterior approach next go round but I keep hearing problems such as yours.  And feeling it through your butt cheek... is that a new feeling?  I think you should check that out.  Sounds funny to me but I do remember it feeling hard on my butt for a while.  That fortunately did go away.  

Hope you feel better soon...

Susan

• Posted

Yup. I lost a lot muscle tissue by not being able to exercise before the surgery and after surgery I've had so many problems. I do not recommend Interior approach as people have had so many problems with it but the posterior people have very few problems

• Posted

I can still feel mine when I sit - and it'll be two years at the end of this month that it was done. 

It's like you can actually feel the stem inside your cheek, which is impossible as it's inside the leg bone. 

I can only assume it is scar tissue inside the leg muscles.

• Posted

I feel the actual femoral head, the joint through my butt cheek not the stem. I hope once I'm able to start exercising I can build up that muscle again to stop that. With all the groin pain I have that's the least of my problems

• Posted

i hope! thank you Susan....i can actually feel the rotating ball...i had my physical therapist put her hand under my butt and she could feel the ball....my mri said loss of fat in right butt so i am hoping building muscle there will help

that's the least of my problems,, but one step at a time.

thank you

• Posted

That also makes sense, as I lost a lot of weight before the THR, so I have much less 'padding' in that area (and a whole new wardrobe full of nice clothes) now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.