bad reflux with 80mg omeprazole

Posted , 35 users are following.

Hi im all new to this site but am finding the discussions very useful i have had reflux for about 5 years now and was on 20 mg omeprazole and over the last few years it was increased to 40 mg as still getting symptoms. I have had 2 endoscopys the first showed a high amount of acid so was told to just continue with medicine and include metroclopramide for the sickness side effects. After about a year of still having problems i was sent for my second endoscopy which my larynx closed up as soon as they tried putting the tube into my throat ( i was sedated at time) . They have now put me on 80mg of omeprazole but the last 6-8 months the symptoms have returned and i am also getting raised itchy rashes from my wrists/arms to my ankles. I feel sick quite a lot of the time and my bowel movements are awful(loose). This is making me very anxious all the time thinking something else is going on and just wondered if anyone is having these sorts of problems? Im due to see the consultant again next month but not sure what else can be done as theres no way im having another endoscopy.

3 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Sandra,

Maybe omeprazole is not working for you, there are other equivalent medications out there that your doctor could prescribe you instead. When I complained to my doctor about dexilant, he prescribed me nexium. I ended up taking dexilant after all for two months. Dexilant (PPI) started working for me only after a month when I started a strict acid-free, dairy-free, fat-free bland diet to make sure to not hurt my stomach anymore. About the rash you should ask your doctor, it can be so many causes and maybe you need treatment. One more thing: I don't have the same problem as you, I have/had gastritis with reflux  but pepzin GI works wonders for me. It might be worth looking into. I don't think if interferes with the PPI, ask your doctor to be sure.

• Posted

Hi Carmel,

Pepzin GI is a mix of zinc and amino acid. It is used in Japan to treat ulcers, but it helpful for gastritis as well and maybe other stomach problems. It protects and helps the stomach lining heals. The way it works is a bit complicated, the easiest thing is that you google it and read for yourself. You can look at the reviews on amazon too. I have taken both. It has helped me greatly and it still does. It took it for two months in the past and it made me feel normal again, then I stopped and some of my symptoms came back a little bit, so now I am taking it again and feel better already.

• Posted

Thanks for this info.  Presumably this is same as pepsin?  I did read somewhere  that some people take pepsin with something else - Bromelain or something, for such things. Does this make sense for you?  Glad you are on the mend.
    • Posted

Hi Carmel,

No it is not the same as pepsin, pepsin is some digestive enzyme, bromelain too. I don't take those, I am afraid they hurt the stomach. PepZin GI is a mix of zinc and amino acid. There is a Z in pepZin GI. You can find a lot of information on internet on it.

• Posted

Th is is one of the reasons Ihesitate . People are quick to say take this and that and it hurts and its wasting more money, it can cost a fortune.  I have multivitamiin tablets with zinc in surely I could take those to get the zinc?
    • Posted

You are right to be careful, I do read a lot of things on the internet too. Everybody has its own little recipe, some make sense, some don't and some are just hurtful. This is why I suggest you do your own research on this supplement, I am not sure it applies to your case but you can figure it out by reading reviews on amazon and the information on the internet. This is the supplement that helps me most and give me long term relief. I take DGL licorice, evamore water and slippery elm as well but those give only short term relief.

I don't think eating multi-vitamins is the same thing, even though zinc has been proven useful in itself. There is something special about this formulation. I personnally stopped taking multi-vitamins as it was giving me stomach pain, vitamine C for example is very acidic, B vitamins car cause pain too in high doses, check webmd for side effects of vitamins. Moreover according to an article I read on the New York Times there is no scientific proof that vitamins are helpful if you don't have a clear deficiency and eat healthy, and they can be hard on the stomach. But I do understand if you worry about B12 and calcium deficiency because PPI can make it harder for you to assimilate them, just be mindful of what you feel when you take them to make sure it does not do more harm than good.

• Posted

I got a tablet crusher to break down the vitamin pills before I took them,

The thing is that everyone says take this and that (pay for this and that) and if you listened to them all you would have to sell your house to pay for it all.

Some is just a waste of time others can be harmful. And people tend to talk about their own experiences so I find that if I tell people I have silent acid reflux they say oh yes so have I you should take this and that and ignore that we hvae different syhmptoms and I dont need some of the things they suggest because I dont have the symptoms those things help with.  Have read about dgl licorice and can see what you mean about the rest.  I started to take the vitamins because of the ppis and having a bad stomach and thinking I had to top up to make it up. Someone suggested melatonin to me recently for gerd and acid reflux yet when I researched it although this was mentioned it was mostly about sleep.  Mind you it might be a good idea to get more sleep because when you are in pain it is hard to get to sleep.  In the UK where I live most people just go to the doctor and listen tl him and rely on medication and if it all goes wrong they still listen to him - how daft is that?

• Posted

I am not sure pepzin GI is what you need, it is more for gerd with gastritis or ulcer. If your stomach lining is not damaged, it might not be helpful. I don't know. But from everything I read, the low-acid diet from the book "Dropping acid" should be helpful, or at least worth trying.
    • Posted

Thank you ever so much for your thoughts on this. My problem is either gastritis and/or ulcer(s) with silent acid reflux.  Doesn/t it get annoying that we try so hard to read and learn about these things and get it right when other pople eat rubbish, smoke and drink and are seemily ok?
    • Posted

I agree with you, it is upsetting. My doctor said that I am lucky to have those problems because it forces me to eat healthy, and I won't get all the diseases that go with a bad diet. But then I read about Jeanne Calmant, the oldest recorded woman on earth. She was eating 2.2 pounds of chocolate per week, had wine port every day (in moderation) and was smoking 1-2 cigarettes per day. Some are more lucky than others. I hope you get better soon.
    • Posted

Hope you feel better too.  Have ordered that book from the library, thanks for that.  Can see what the doctor means about being forced to eat healthy but one of my pleasures is food, I love a lot of the foods which are unhealthy like burgers and chips and could never give them up 100%.
    • Posted

Maybe you can find healthy alternatives that you enjoy. With time you might enjoy them more and not have desire for unhealthy food anymore. Taste and habits change hand in hand. I do miss a good (healthy) pizza though! I have not touched a tomato for 6 months.
    • Posted

But I see what you mean. Before I got sick I was taking french cooking lesson, experimenting a lot in the kitchen, using butter and lemon a lot. I had bought also an indian cookbook and a israeli cookbook and was cooking a lot of spicy and delicious food. Now I am eating bland and boring but at least I feel better.
    • Posted

I find that eating tomatoes etc makes no difference.  But I understand what you mean.  I started to have a salad every day either with boiled eggs or sardines or whatever and quite enjoyed it, just dont feel well enough to get it ready or go to the shops. now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.