bad reflux with 80mg omeprazole

Posted , 35 users are following.

Hi im all new to this site but am finding the discussions very useful i have had reflux for about 5 years now and was on 20 mg omeprazole and over the last few years it was increased to 40 mg as still getting symptoms. I have had 2 endoscopys the first showed a high amount of acid so was told to just continue with medicine and include metroclopramide for the sickness side effects. After about a year of still having problems i was sent for my second endoscopy which my larynx closed up as soon as they tried putting the tube into my throat ( i was sedated at time) . They have now put me on 80mg of omeprazole but the last 6-8 months the symptoms have returned and i am also getting raised itchy rashes from my wrists/arms to my ankles. I feel sick quite a lot of the time and my bowel movements are awful(loose). This is making me very anxious all the time thinking something else is going on and just wondered if anyone is having these sorts of problems? Im due to see the consultant again next month but not sure what else can be done as theres no way im having another endoscopy.

3 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I would like to add that I think the diet is the key in recovering from gastritis. I don't have experience about reflux without the gastritis but I would not be surprised if it is similar. I hightly recommend the book "dropping acid" by Jamie Koufman.
    • Posted

Thanks will try to get that book from library or second hand from amazon.
  • Posted

Sandra I was also on nexium 20 mg twice a day for years. As I was diagnosed for Lpr three weeks back my doctor told me to take 80mg of prilosec per day (40mg/2) for first month. But my acid reflux symptom like burning throat and heart got worst, though with other medicine he gave me for my Lpr symptoms improved. So when I talked him for this situation he advised me a mixture of half glass of non fat yogurt and half glass of water with little bit of salt and sugar. Within three days all burning symptoms and loose bowel movement was gone. If you have lactose tolerance you can try it for at least three days. let's hope it will work for you too.
  • Posted

Hi forgot to mention try some chewing gum seemed to work for me or even a mild bitter! Found this post who said it worked for him to but I guess the proof is in the pudding only way to find out is try it won't do you any harm!

I know this post of chewing gum for acid reflux is older, but I just wanted to reply about it. I fly a lot for business and I have ear problems when flying so I chew gum to help with the ear popping. I noticed every time I chewed the gum that my stomach acid would ease a little. I was having a horrible burning stomach this week and no extra pills, tabs or anything would ease the acid. I pulled out a stick of gum and with in five minutes, my burning stomach felt so much relief, it was amazing. So please chew some gum and see if it works for you I looked up some info on the web and it seems to be true that gum helps with acid reflux.

The Remedy: Chewing gum.

The Claim: It relieves heartburn.

The Science: It may be hard for most people to think of chewing gum as a remedy for anything other than a case of bad breath. But several studies in recent years have shown that it can in fact help alleviate the symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease, better known to most people as GERD or heartburn.

Chewing on a piece or two of gum, it seems, helps force fluids back into the stomach and flood the esophagus with alkaline saliva, neutralizing acids that cause the characteristic burning sensations.

• Posted

Have read this too. The thing is you read so many claims and it would cost a fortune to get all of these things and living in the UK you can get the normal prescrption medicaiton for free so you would prefer to get that. I also find that a lot of people assume you have the same symptoms as them so when I say I have acid reflux they start teling me to take this and that for heartburn when I never get heartburn.
    • Posted

Hi:  I also used to chew alsot of gum for my reflux.  But, you are only treating the symtoms and not the problem.  Likely you are getting reflux while you sleep and burning your esophagus, then you feel it all day. 

So before bed I take 20mg of Nexium.  I pour the capsule contents into my hand and swallow the tiny time pills with water.  Doing this prevents the Nexium from burning a spot in your stomach, causing nausia when eating the next day.  The reason I take it at night is because "if your esauphaugus gets burned while you sleep you will burn all day."  That's what I tell people now.  So, the idea is to stop acid production while you sleep, but you will produce some acid with your meals during the day.  That is critical because acid blockers can lead to major nutritional deficiencies causing addition issues.  Try this regimine for 30 days, I think it can change your life too.  

• Posted

I had to call out my doctor yesterday (am in England). It took him about ten hours to get here.  There were about six phone calls where they went through these questions like do you get pain here and do you get pain there and every time I went through them then there was another call asking the same questions!  Then when he got here he said he could not help me  and suggested I carry on taking the medicines that do not work!   They could have saved me sitting by the phone answering it and said that on the phone.   He was telling me what nexium is used for and that you can take two sachets a day!   Yes I said. I know alol that. I was told all that when it was first prescribed and I can look all of those things up online in a few minutes -  why did I wait ten hours for you to tell me same thing!
    • Posted

Not a good idea to change my doctor.  Would have done that if it were a good idea - ages ago,  believe me.  You will not find anymore who is quicker to fix a problem or change things than me when it is a good idea. It is not that simple or that black and white.
  • Posted

I'm sorry to hear that you have had so much discomfort with your digestive system.  I have also had many similar symptoms for many years.  But, the last year was the worst. 

I've been rushed by ambulance to the ER because of this.  I had to retire early because I could not get well enough to leave the house and I was sick for nearly all of the last year. 

But, finally I have relief.  I no longer burn after I eat.  I no longer bloat up after eating.  I can eat anything I want, no restrictions, even have coffee.  I no longer burn while I sleep only to wake up with a sore "stomach".   I had a bunch of bottles of pills that I would take but got no relief.  Now I will tell you what I did.  First, I took a parasite remover.  Ivermectin.  Apparently I had liver flukes in my liver ducts.  They can block the liver from producing enzymes nesseccary for digetion.  The bloating stopped within a day or two.  Also, after looking at my CT scan from the hospital, I noticed that I was obviously constipated.  But no doctor noticed it.  They wanted to remove part of my small intestine, but I said "No". 

So now, before bed, I add 3 tbsp of psillium to 8 oz of fruit juice and a capful of Miralax or generic.   Every night.  Also before bed I take 20mg of Nexium.  I pour the capsule contents into my hand and swallow the tiny time pills with water.  Doing this prevents the Nexium from burning a spot in your stomach, causing nausia when eating the next day. 

The reason I take it at night is because "if your esauphaugus gets burned while you sleep you will burn all day."  That's what I tell people now.  So, the idea is to stop acid production while you sleep, but you will produce some acid with your meals during the day.  That is critical because acid blockers can lead to major nutritional deficiencies causing addition issues.  Try this regimine for 30 days, I think it can change your life too.  Let me know. 

• Posted

Very interetsting but I feel too ill to go out etc and live on my own with no help. I have to make do with whatever food is here or get it delivered.

And forcing myself to eat because I feel so down.

• Posted

Hi Carmel

It may be a bit late to try to help you.

Ok, it is unlikely to secrete excessive stomach as we grow. 

Less stomach acid secretion causes reflux.

1. Acid reflux is not result of excessive acid production. Studies show with age acidity reduces.

2. With ppi your reflux flares. Compare your present pain with the time before you were taking ppi. I reckon now is worse. 

3. You will need temporary ppi only if you have legion or ulcer in your stomach. 

4. As you lower your stomach acid you will experience more acid reflux.

5. There are many foods that can help you better than ppi. A two minute steam cooked spinach, almond, ricotta with raw honey and wholemeal bread, if you can find it New Zealand rose apple, keri (it is New Zealand apple juice, no added sugar or preservatives) and pineapple. Vegetables are good.

Avoid irritating foods like onion, garlic, tomato and spicy food.

There are supplements like pepzin gi. I take it and feel good. 

During the day you can control your pain with the foods above.

At night slippery elm and gaviscon will help you. 

6. Don't sleep on your back. It is a recipe for heartburn.

7. Healing is slow process, I believe with these foods you will be relieved right away and your healing is at hand.

• Posted

Hiya.Spicy foods,l tomatoes, onions etc make no difference.

I do not hvae a sore throat so do not need slippery elm.

Sleeping on my back makes it better but I am so used to sleeping on my side I automatically do that when asleep. And no it would not be possib le to find new zealand apple juice. But apple juice would not help. I dont get flare ups. Some reflux is caused by over production of acid, it varies from person to person. You cannot say it is thbe same for everyone.

Have researched a great deal on this subject, all of this information is widely available in books and websites, nothing new, but none of it fits me.

What would help many people with these problems is to eat and drink less. Not eat or drink at least three hours before going to bed.Eat more slowly. Take fibre supplements.

Reduce sugar and never eat fruit with other foods.

• Posted

Dear Sandra,

I was on 40 mg omeprazol twice a day and the sore throat got worse! I reduce it to 20 mg 2 a day and now 150 mg zantac 2 a day.

I feel the same symptoms in my throat, but i notice that seems that stress makes it worst. I found myself always tense, my shoulders and stomach.

kEEP IN TOUCH

hugs

• Posted

Well I'm onto day 3 of only 40mgs of Omeprazole and I have bad indegestion this morning so had to take Gaviscon. It's making my anxiety levels raise due to the feeling in my throat so don't know whether to stick with it or go back up to 80mgs. Anyone got any advice please

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.