Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) & IBS

Posted , 9 users are following.

Anyone tried this home remedy?  I'm getting desparate.  Thanx.

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My dad takes it for heartburn which helps with that but he burps like mad when taking it. I don't know whether that would cause problems with gassiness when you have IBS.   

• Posted

Hi:  Thanx for your input.  I found a large bag of baking soda in my pantry that I use with vinegar and hot water to clean out the kitchen sink drains smile  Maybe it will clear out the nasty bacteria in my gut.  We'll see.  I'll let you know.  Wish me luck. 

• Posted

I use bicarbonate of soda occasionally to remove tea stains  from my teeth because no other product I have tried works.
    • Posted

Hi Frazzled, if you want to sort out bad gut bacteria I'd go for Kefir, and extra Virginia coconut oil.

• Posted

I've tried both and they didn't seem to help.  I've been adding and removing food stuff from my diet for over 20 years and I still haven't hit on what's right for my system.  Since my IBS conditon can go into remission (and has) for years at a time, doc tells me I have stress induced IBS.  I'm not sure of that because I know certain foods cause flares.  Sigh.

Thanx for your reply.

• Posted

You can have food induced IBS and stress related IBS at the same time.
  • Posted

What exactly are you expecting it to do? It's an old remedy for hurt burn but that's it.

• Posted

I've done a lot of research on the net and am on several forums.  I want to try to lower the acid Ph of my dode (I body is more acidic than most since I was a child) and lowering acid was one of the suggestions.  That may be adding to the aggrevation being cased the IBS-A . I'm ready to just about anything. 

• Posted

Hi, funny enough eating acidic foods converts to alkaline in the body, this is what I've read, except blood which is strictly controlled and you can't change it.

• Posted

Hi martin:  Hmmmmmmmm that's an interesting statement you made re:  acidic food conversion.  I'll have to do more research now that you've given me "food for thot."   Thanx.

• Posted

Look up metabolic acidosis.  Might give you more information as to why I asked the question. 

Thanx

• Posted

Hi, yes so apparently the acidity of the blood can be changed, I keep learning something new, I have IBS and Rheumatoid Arthritis plus redundant colon which I reckon is someway linked to the IBS, I am always reading this that and t'other, trying to find some wondrous thing that might help.

• Posted

Hi martin:  We are all lucky here to be able to share our IBS woes and information (good and bad) with each other.  That's a blessing.

I'm sorry to know about your RA, along with IBS.  Must be a "hard row to hoe" for you.  I assume you're being treat for RA but what about your twisted colon?  Is there nothing that can be done about that?  Was there someone in your family line that suffered the same condition?

• Posted

Hi, I've had the RA many years been on the usual medication, recently I started on biological drug seems to be working pretty good, as for the redundant colon it was found out during colonoscopy which could not be completed, then had to have barium enema to finish the job, probably hereditary, you find these things out when they start poking around.

• Posted

"poking around" is right.  Last month my gastro told me he was going to "double dip" me.  That's his way of saying he's going to do an endoscopy and colonoscopy one after the other.  After those procedures, he told me you have IBS (I already know that and told him at our consult).  He said add more fiber to your diet and lower your stress.  Gee thanx is that all you have to offer after all the poking?  You made my day martin with your comment.  I'm glad the drug you started seems to be working.  Good luck with it.

• Posted

Hi, all this fibre malarkey is a total maze to me, they say you want loads of fibre you want soluable for IBS but you want some insoluable, then you read things about needing fibre is a load of rubbish based on no scientific evidence and can be doing you far more harm than good, it's a mystery to me, all trial and error.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.