Band buddies needed

Posted , 11 users are following.

hi

Hoping to have some positive advise please. Having my band surgery tomorrow and must admit very nervous. 

Any Offers or help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Lynne

xx

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lynne lots of good luck you will be fine. I am 12 days post op and am almost back to normal. Just take it easy and use the time in hospital to rest as much as possible :-)
    • Posted

Thanks so much for your reply - how are you doing? Bet you are relived ...
    • Posted

Hi yes talk relieved the worst is over and only two more days of liquids thank god. I am looking forward to mushies !

Did you do a pre op diet ?

• Posted

I'm ok with the pre op did the 5-7 days - did shakes mainly drank loads of water and normally do so didn't find it too harrowing- just really wish something more for my over thinking! Lol 

thanks again xx

• Posted

I'm ok with the pre op did the 5-7 days - did shakes mainly drank loads of water and normally do so didn't find it too harrowing- just really wish something more for my over thinking! Lol 

thanks again xx bet you can't wait for the mushies 

• Posted

Hi Lynne,

I had my band fitted October last year and have no regrets :-) I just wish I'd done it sooner!

My advice would be.....

Stock up on all the liquids and foods you are allowed, but make sure you vary them because it can get very repetitive! I fell in love with angel delight and jelly all over again! Made a change from boring old yoghurts all the time!

I would get some anti wind agents like windeze as they pump you full of gas during the operation and you get trapped wind across your chest.

Also a fibre supplement like benefibre which is a tasteless powder you can add to drinks etc to help keep you regular! Also maybe get some laxative drinks/powders! Or see how you go on this front!! Hehe

Make sure you have lots of comfy clothes to wear :-)

Also ensure that you are happy with your painkillers before you leave hospital, I was given the dispersible painkillers, I'm a wimp but these really made me gag which obviously really hurt so I ended up with tiny tablets that i could just swallow!

Your be sent home to wear lovely stockings! Try and grab a few pairs so that you can wash them, they never give enough in my eyes!

Gets lots of films, books and magazines in!

But the above are just my opinion! But hope it's been helpful.

You honestly will be fine! As soon as you wake up you are overwhelmed with relief! It's amazing how nervous we get before these things (understandably!) and it honestly wasn't as bad as I thought.

Just remember why you are doing this and it will see you through - Good luck xx

• Posted

Thank you so much for your kind words of support! It has really helped to speak with a real live bander lol! 

I have also stocked up with meds wind relief etc - all ready with shakes liquids broths etc - problem with me is I am a bit of a control freak but guess I just have to relax and trust ...

how ow are you doing? How is your weight loss

love to hear from you when you can and bless you

xx

• Posted

Your more than welcome :-)

I'm still going for regular fills every 4 weeks, my surgeon believes in doing it gradually, I've lost 5.2 stone since the op, I tend to lose approx 7-9 pounds each month, it's fairly consistent!

So glad I've had the op xx

• Posted

Ah yes some anti wind meds were essential. For me Rennie Deflatine worked lots better then Windeze
    • Posted

Wow

Well done. 5 stone since October, you must feel great.

Any other tips of what and how much you're eating would be helpful.

Thanx

• Posted

Thank you!

Exercising is getting a lot easier as the weight is coming off.

I swim 3 times a week for an hour.

1 aqua aerobics session a week

Walk to and from work And on my feet all day!

Trying to build it up gradually!

X

• Posted

I've cut out bread all together - which was my main downfall!

I eat a lot of salmon, chicken and veg, rice.

A standard meal size for me would be;

A salmon fillet

2-3 new potatoes or handful rice

Handful of veg

Baring in mind that I'm still being adjusted every 4 weeks so it gets smaller each month! X

• Posted

Thank you for the tip

Wish you all the best.

My downfall is lack of exercise because of health problems I'm not mobile hence difficult to shift the weight. Hoping to lose it with eating less an then getting exercise when I can.

• Posted

Weight loss is so hard.

Especially when you get so big like myself, I found it really hard to exercise and just wanted to stay at home and eat!

I find swimming enjoyable as I don't get too hot, that's what always puts me off, getting sweaty!

Maybe speak with your GP for advice? Everyone is different and they maybe able to point you in the right direction x

• Posted

Thank you

I used to be able to swim well but since damaging my legs realised that I can't keep my balance in water. I have found holding the bar at the side and doing kicks etc is easier

Hopefully try that soon

• Posted

well done on the exercising and the persistence - that's what I am hoping to do - eventually incorporate a good fitness program which I enjoy xx
    • Posted

Hi 

I'm out sore but happy to say in the land of the living lol - have named my band as my new member Lucy Lastic and very much looking forward to my journey with her.

thank you again

lynne

• Posted

Hi Lynne

Glad it all went well.

Love the name - Lucy plastic lol

The soreness will pass eventually and you'll be enjoying your journey with Lucy to a new you :D

• Posted

Haha that's great!

Glad you are ok and in good spirits!

Just look after yourself and don't rush the healing process!

You've made the first step of the rest of your life! Xx

• Posted

Sorry meant Lucy lastic.

Phone changed it to plastic

• Posted

well done, you will be glad to be home.  Hears to your new adventurelol I had been to the supermarket looking at all the foods that I couldnt have, then told myself 'you dont need it'!!!! lol, came home and tried a couple of pairs of jeans that are still too tight to remind myself!!!I  oh.. and I also bagged up 4 bin liners of clothes that I will not be wearing anymore! :-) all the best x
    • Posted

Thank you - me and Luce are doing fine - getting used to her grumbles and listening more to the effects she is having on my body - really looking forward to having a normal healthy relationship with food :-)

hope you good and having a positive week xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.