Baritric surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,I've been referred for gastric surgery this month what happens at this appointment? Thanks Stevon

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It is a chance for the surgeon to assess you, your health status and which surgery he/she thinks would be best suited to you personally - they will ask you about your eating habits, lifestyle etc and it is your chance to ask questions to so you might ask 'which surgery would you recommend for me?'; What are my other options?; how much weight will i lose?; how many operations have you done?; what is your fatality rate?; what after care will i receive (this is especially important if you are self funding as some do not include aftercare so you need to get this straight); how long will i be in hospital; when will I be able to drive; how long will I be off work; what will my eating regime be like after this operation?; how will it affect any meds currently being taken?; how long does the operation take? what pain relief will i be given?  'how soon will the surgery take place?'  Take a note book with you and jot down the answers of those questions you aim to ask as there is a lot to take in and you might not remember everything afterwards. 

what can i eat post op

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Bandid,I wasn't sure if I was being considered for a band or not as this is my first appointment and nothing was explained I will take a pad and pen great idea to help me along.

• Posted

a few more  questions you might need to ask if you are self funding are :-

How much will it cost ?

Are there different aftercare packages and if so how much do they cost or are they included in the price?

• Posted

the consultant will consider your eating habits, health status, life style and run through the various types of surgeries on offer and may advise which one would be best suited to you personally however  in the meantime before this appointment,  it might be an idea to get yourself onto a wgt loss surgery forum such as WLSinfo and do some research on other types of wgt loss surgery other than a band as this might not be what is best for you and some info on the other options such as RNY, sleeve, duodenal switch would come in handy I would think. If you are funding this yourself then you might have more say in which you end up having however if you are going down the NHS route then the final choice might not be yours to make however if would be better to go with some info - good luck
    • Posted

It's through nhs,does anyone know how long it takes from initial appointment to op being done?

• Posted

the length of time can be months to years depending on the area where you live and there will be many hoops you wil have to jump through to satisfy the criteria and to show your commitment before you will get the go ahead but this is a question you can ask at your appointment - you will probs have to go to appointments with a dietician and follow a diet too - you may also need to see a psychologist  - good luck
  • Posted

Thank you for your information 🖒

• Posted

Don’t worry bariatric is one of the best surgery for weight loss.This helps to reduce your weight. this involves the excision of about 80% of the stomach. It is an irreversible surgical option. The small size of the stomach left leads to early satiety with smaller portions of food, decreased hunger, rapid weight loss with minimal long-term side effects.Last year my uncle also did this surgery at “Metabolic surgery Istanbul”, Turkey and lost his weight of 30kg. It has also been shown to control blood sugar in type 2 diabetics via increased insulin sensitivity.
    • Posted

I wish to correct your statement above as I feel the info could be misleading - Nisa,  you are presuming that Stevon is going to have a one of the types of wgt loss surgery that involve removal of part of the stomach, however, not all types of wgt loss surgery involve such invasive surgery - for example a band works purely by restriction and no removal of the stomach - at the time of posting, Stevon did not know which type of surgery would be most suitable for him and which he would be advised to have - ALSO a couple more inaccuracies as not all types of wgt loss surgery are irreversible nor do they all help with diabetes - the band IS reversible and as the band does not work by malabsorption (as with RNY or DS) it would NOT help to control diabetes though wgt loss as a result of the band could help. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your most serious and grateful input Bandid as I am getting a little confused now 👀

• Posted

My intention was not to confuse you but to point out that there are several types of wgt loss surgery (aka bariatric surgery) and it would be wrong to generalise and think that they all worked in the same way and had the same negatives and positives - some work by malabsorption, others by restriction and some by both malabsorption and restriction - perhaps it would be a good idea to do some research on the various types of surgeries you could be offered so that when you go for your appointment you will go armed with some background knowledge as these ops work in different ways and involve types of surgery - you could possibly get more info from a local support group or an online forum dedicated to wgt loss surgery rather such as WLSinfo - if there is anything which specifically you want to ask though just fire away and I will do my best to answer - good luck  
  • Posted

Surgery on the stomach and/or intestines to help a person with extreme obesity lose weight. Bariatric surgery is an option for people who have a body mass index (BMI) above 40. Surgery is also an option for people with a body mass index between 35 and 40 who have health problems like type 2 diabetes or heart disease.
    • Posted

some privately funded wgt loss surgeries abroad are performed without meeting this criteria - occasionally in this country too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.