Baritric surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,I've been referred for gastric surgery this month what happens at this appointment? Thanks Stevon

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Bariatric surgery can improve many health problems related to obesity, such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, unhealthy cholesterol levels, and sleep apnea. Surgery also may lead to improved physical function and mood, and better quality of life.
  • Posted

Hi stevon. Can i ask if you don't mind, what is your weight and have you any co morbidities like type 2 diabetes etc, as i am currently with a weight loss clinic and i am going to ask for the surgery myself, i am 16 stones 3 and have a bmi of 39.8 with type 2 diabetes, i was hoping as the NICE guidelines say that if you have a bmi of 35 and over with a co mobidity like type 2 diabetes surgery would be an option, i am hoping to get approved for the surgery and just wondered if your weight, bmi etc fell in line with mine. 

Thanks, Sue.

• Posted

it is your chance to ask questions and their chance to do so too - they need to ascertain which type of wgt loss surgery would be best for you - 'one size does not fit all' - every one is different - so do some research into the various types of wgt loss surgery - maybe join a support group or online forum such as WLSinfo and chat to people who are living with the various types of surgery - look at the pros and cons as they all have them and decide which you could and could not live with - go to this appointment armed with some knowledge - be aware that whichever surgery you are considered an appropriate candidate for it needs lots of commitment on your behalf and is not the quick easy fix that the media would have us believe - all surgeries require massive lifestyle changes - good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions at this appointment as it is a 2 way process 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.