Bartholin cyst, I want it out! It's practically has me feeling like I have a disability!

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I went to my doctor's appointment on the 21st of February. I went in there confident about telling my doctor that I want the gland removed. He wasn't with it. He said no , I started asking him why not, I can't go thru this hell any longer. It's making my life a living hell, I can't even shave like I want because I'm afraid. He said that if I can't stand the pain I've been going thru due to the cyst I would regret getting it removed because it's even more painful. He even said that he's has patients with terrible bruising and swelling. He practically tried scaring me. I said but this is for life. I've had it a lot of times and it sucks and I just can't. After trying so hard to convince him he says well let's see what happens you might be one of the lucky ones who doesn't get them. I said yeah right. I said if it comes back I will big you until you get the gland out. He insist that it's very bloody and messy. I need a another doctor that's willing to do it because my doctor doesn't understand how it feels as a women. Now I bath in hot water with my mirror and I squeeze all that nasty stuff out. It's so exhausting I'm tired of this.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Mary, I would strongly suggest getting another opinion from another doc. I kept getting them all the time as well I even had 2 ward catheters put in within months of each other. My gyn decided to remove my glad. It's been almost 2 years since it's been removed. I will say it's not as painful as the cyst oozing and such, but there is discomfort. I am also not gonna say I haven't had any problems since. My doc removed the whole gland,however I have developed a sometimes discomfort lump in the same area. And I have no idea what it is since the whole gland is gone anyways. At least there is no more pus, and oozing.

So yes go get another opinion you shouldn't have to live in pain.

• Posted

Hi Shayk80,

Sorry I just saw your message, the pain is what scares me. I just had it drained again on the last days of January and I feel like it's already coming back. I've been taking hot baths and I squeeze all around. For some reason it still feels sensitive.I literally stay in the tub until the water gets cool. Did you have to stay in the hospital? Do you regret it or you're happy you got the gland removed? I'm curious. I appreciate you taking the time to give me a little info on what's it's like.

• Posted

Hi, you need to go back and demand to see another doctor, you shouldnt have to put up with it, i had numerous cysts and the glands removed last October and it was the best thing i did ,i was in hospital as a day case and had a general anaesthetic 

i was in agony afterwards and had severe swelling for about 3 weeks but its so worth it in the end. Please go back and say you need it done xx

• Posted

Hi Elaine,

I know right I really need someone who is confident enough to want to help me. Thank you so much for sharing. So all together how long was the pain for? You said agony and I imagine the moment doctor took out the packing it was excruciating pain. Do you feel like your normal self again? I hate not being able to do the things I normally did before this bs.

Thanks again!

• Posted

Hi Mary, i was in agony from the day after the op. I did get an infection a week after surgery which didnt help , i had really bad swelling for 2 weeks. Felt like i had tennis balls down there to be honest , i didnt have any wound packing i had dissolvable stritches, i would say i was in bad pain for 3 weeks and going for a wee was painful as it stung but i just used to pour a jug of warm water on my wounds as i went to the loo , i used to zap the area with the shower then dry off with the hairdryer set on warm, please go back to your gp and demand to see a consultant , you need to get treatment. You will be so glad you did it xx. Good luck xx
    • Posted

ps , you will feel tired for about a week after surgery and i would suggest wearing loose clothing. I bought some leggings also let air get to the wound as much as you can. When i was at home i would not wear panties i just laid on a soft towel to catch any discharge. It really helped with the healing xx
    • Posted

My god Elaine I feel like crying right now. Why do we have to go thru this. I'm so angry for getting this. Why me, I can just imagine what my life would be like during recovery to top it off my room is upstairs. I hate this. But you feel totally better now right? What do you advice me to keep handy if I find a doctor that will do the procedure. I know I should have lots of pain killers I'm a single mom so I need to be prepared because I won't have anyone to help me. Thank you so much.

• Posted

Hi Mary. I really feel for you my lovely , i will be totally honest you will need help after the op, you will want to rest and you need to, is there anyone who can help have the children ? Or come and stay with you for a week, im not trying to scare you but it will be painful but so worth it in the end , you will need strong pain killers and plenty of sanitary towels, i bought maternity ones as they are bigger and softer , a couple of soft flannels and towels to change daily , i had my op on 31st October and im feeling ok now. I do sometimes get some soreness still but think thats just the nerve endings 

i think it depends on how big your op will be , mine was very big and involved  skin grafts so hopefully yours wont be as bad , please go and see your GP and demand to be referred to a gynaecologist xx

• Posted

Ps are you living in the UK or USA ? Its different here as its nhs and we seem to get referred easier over here xx
  • Posted

I have only had one bartholin cyst marsupilized and my doctor said point blank, if it comes back he is removing the whole gland. And I trust my doctor 100%. Have you just had the cysts drained or have you had a marsupiliazation?
    • Posted

Hi rj,

I've had it drained only. Doctor tried putting the catheter and it kept coming out it just wouldn't stay in I believe doctor said because scar tissue. That's it I don't really want a marsuplization because it's gonna come back. Why can't I have a doctor like yours hopefully I find one fast because I can't do this anymore.

Thank you again

• Posted

Hi Mary

I did have the marsuplization and have been good so far.. maybe you should consider that first...my dr was very good and said that the marsuplization is pretty successful ...

I feel badly for you... if you live in the ny queens area I can give you my doctors name

Renee

• Posted

Sorry for what you're going through I've only had one but when I asked my OB/GYN to remove the plan she wouldn't either because it only had one. But she did say it happened again to call her immediately and she immediately get me in, which wasn't much comfort. Find another doc girl!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.