Bartholin gland removal

Posted , 57 users are following.

Hi everyone.

Just wondering had anyone had their bartholin gland removed? I'm am currently on abscess number 16. 16th in 2years. My last 2 burst just over a week ago and it's now back again. I've bee. Referred to a&e by my doctor but I am in so much pain right now I can't even get up from bed to make it to the hospital. I had my shower getting ready to go but the pain was to much I couldn't even get dressed from the waist down. I know when it gets this painful it's nearly time to burst but I can't eve. Get up to pee and I'm about to burst here hahaha. So just wondering who has had the gland removed as its something I want to enquire about now. It's getting to much and completely interfering with my life. I've had enough sad

0 likes, 99 replies

99 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there,

I've been there and I also got to the point of telling my doctor that I need to get my gland removed because I just could not deal with another abscess. My last one was late February of this year 2017. It got to the size of literally a tennis ball and I too was hoping it would pop on its own like two times before. This last time was like my six or seventh time that crap came out. They cut me more this last time and they also left packing inside for 3 days and it was the most excruciating pain I've ever felt. I couldn't walk in the ER when I went to get the packing removed. So don't wait till it gets bigger. I finally had it I didn't want to go thru the pain again and I can tolerate pain. So after I had it drained and packed I felt it was coming back but I said hell no if the doctor cut it not too long ago there has to be a way to get the abscess out. So I started taking really hot baths with Apple cider vinegar. I would usually take a mirror in the tub so I squeeze where I feel the abscess and I press down hard as if you're popping a pimple. It took me probably half an hour to see it draining. I now understand the purpose of the bath, it helps all the pus drain out. So when I go pee or any time I use the bathroom I do it with my legs wide open after sex I jump in the shower. I'm always squeezing it and I also wear pantiliners so it absorbs whatever is trying to drain. I haven't had another cyst since then. I was getting them almost every 2 months until I had to figure out a way to keep it from getting infected. It's worked for me. I hope they help you with this issue. Just don't let it get big because you're just letting your skin stretch out.

• Posted

Omg that seems like torture. A tennis ball!!!! Mine don't grow that size. Largest would be an egg. But the each time I get one it seems to be worse than the last. The 1 that popped yesterday was so bad I actually couldn't go to the toilet. I had to go in the shower because the pain trying to stand up was unbelievable. I was thinking even if I did make it to the hospital how will I let them examine me because I couldn't even uncross my legs. I'm getting acupuncture done in a few days. I know someone who does it and she said she's going to do some on be hoping it will prevent. Desperate times!!! But I'm seriously thinking of the removal. Nothing does work for me. Everything online. For me it will pop when its ready. I've tried the baths, epsom salts

• Posted

I just saw your message sorry about. Thats what i thought, maybe waiting for it to pop but it got huge, to the point i actually felt sick. I had it on my left side and it gets to the point i feel pain on the whole leg. Yes it felt like more pain with the one after it sucked i felt like this wasn't  living. This is suffering and why haven't they done more freaken research. It practically put my life on pause. I hated my life i hated having a doctor that saw this is as no big deal. Mine popped on its own one night that went into the ER there was was 15 patients before me  so i said screw this i'd rather be in pain in mybed. Got home took 5 advils literally and slept like a baby. Next morning took my kids to school in pain, how can anyone drive with something the size of a tennis ball down there it was hell. I got home and decided to take another 5 advils because i couldn't even go upstairs. I fell asleep and woke up soaking wet. Another time it was the same size i was taking my son to the parent conference and right when i stepped outta my car it started draining so i rushed home.  But the last time i got it again it wouldn't pop. I couldn't even walk to the room in the hospital. The doctor was shocked to see the size and when he drained it we were all just waiting for it to be done because it was a lot. My doctor tried putting a catheter but it just kept popping out it wouldn't stay in. But since he didin't want to  remove the gland he just said we'll just see if it comes back. It does fill up but I already know from where it supposed to leak from  so I squeeze the hell out of it and i literally stay in the tub for an hour or until the water gets cold. When in the tub it will drain a lot if you squeeze it but my metality is like I'm squeezing this out and  feel a      little pain rather than feel that excrusiating pain and having to still walk into the pharmacy to get the meds. Its been a few months now thank god. you should get it drained and when it finally heals and you feel good about squeezing it do that. I always have a compact mirror to see how it looks. 

• Posted

hello! i have the same problem. I'm looking into surgery to remove my gland and my labia because I'm 21 and have had this issue since I was 13. I cant take bathes because its unpredictable, i have to keep everything sterile and be very careful.

I've had 5 marsupializations done and it still hasnt cured it. This is an on going issue that caused me to drop out of public school due to it making me unable to walk. It has gotten so bad one time where it was the size of a golf ball.

It stretched out my labia and actually caused it to infect my labia as well, so I might have to have reconstructive surgery to make it look decent for whenever I get into a relationship. I'm probably the youngest person to ever have this problem and it all stems from not talking care of my vagina sooner, that cause an infection and blocked up the ducts in my bartholin glande.

I'm hoping soon I can get the surgery so that i can finally live my life like a normal 21 year old and maybe finally I can go swimming which I haven't done in 8 years.

If anyone knows a good doctor to preform this surgery in the Dallas Area, please tell me. I need helpp!

• Posted

so im actually also 21 years old and i just had my bartholin gland removed last week. i couldnt tell you long-term effects yet, but considering for the last month i basically havent been able to leave my bed because of the pain (not to mention multiple doctor appointments, ER trips, catheter, antibiotics, pain meds, etc). ive been dealing with bartholin cysts for years prior to this, but usually could take care of it with baths or antibiotics. i was sick of not feeling like i was living a normal life (especially at only 21!!) and so i went into my doctors office to check out a golf ball-sized cyst and he basically came in and said "doesnt seem like this will go away, does it?" and i broke down crying. its mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausting to go through these procedures again and again and again. so it was decided i would get it removed, and two days later i had a successful bartholin gland removal. its been 6 days now, and im already so thankful i did it. the post-surgery pain that inevitably came with the procedure was well worth it. i stopped the heavy pain meds after 3 days, and i stopped taking anything for pains on day 4 i believe. again, i dont know about long-term effects, but right now i believe this was the best choice and that my doctor did a wonderful job. (hopefully this post didnt jinx anything.)

i hope you get some relief from your pain! i honestly really suggest asking your doc about it.

• Posted

Hi! maddie! i am 18 and have been dealing with this for about 3 years. i had the catheder surgery which was unsuccessful. the next step would be the gland removal but I am worried about the outcome. could you please tell me more about the pain and what type of discomfort or sensations happen in that area you have when you please yourself or are sexually active (if you have been healed yet ofc haha) how long is the healing process?? i am especially worried of being in pain when my body tries to produce something it no longer can. thank you so much, I really appreciate you reading this because hopefully it will help me decide if i should get the surgery! ❤️ i hope all is well

• Posted

maddie hows your recovery now? i get the gland removal this month and can hardly find anything about it

• Posted

Have you had marsupialization done? Most doctors try this before glad removal. I had my laced a dozen times before I got the right doctor to marsupialize it. Glad removal is last resort. I got the marsupialization and it's been going well but I'm having issues with the scar tissue from having it lanced to many times by not such great doctors. My doctor said if it continues they will remove the glad but it's a much more serious surgery and a lot longer recovery.

• Posted

Hi.

Yes I've had it done once. Last November. Had no complications from it. No pain anything. I'm sure they would of done it again last week only I was in to much pain to make it to the hospital I just had to wait for it to burst.

• Posted

I won't let them marsupialize mine again. My doctor isn't even suggesting it. When I saw her last she said we are taking the glad out if it comes back after the marsupialization surgery. I always try and get to the doctor as soon as it shows up. When it is small they can schedule surgery and start you on antibiotics so it doesn't get infected. I cant take anymore so I told myself I would find a different doctor if mine wouldn't remove it.

• Posted

about 8 months ago in October 2016 I got my first one. Since then, they keep returning over and over again with a maximum of 3 days without one.

3 weeks ago i had to have it lanced in emergency because the receptionist at my Gynaeo office wouldnt book me an appointment sooner since I wasnt pregnant and i ended up in hospital. They placed a words catether and it gets removed tomorrow. 

she a repeatedly told me that she refuses to remove the gland because my body needs it for natural lubrication but these have gotten so sever that it's hard to manage. I cant have a sex life, and i dont feel confident with them. She has even refused the Marsupialization surgery saying that it was the surgery outweighted the benefits. Should i switch doctors if she still refuses to remove the gland? As women who have dealth with this longer than I have... what are your opions and what do you think my options are? Am i being unrealistic or asking for to much?

• Posted

I used grape seed oil or jojoba on the gland to ease the discomfort when it was small. And use lymphatic drainage technique to pump the area everyday, few days so far hasn’t grown bigger. Definitely need good rest, since I noticed that it grew bigger when I was very tired.

With the oils helped me twice disappeared the swollen without burst out. Now Came out again after one year , and still using jojoba oil and lymphatic drainage technology to control the swollen, around 7 days now changed from pain to seat to just discomfort. 

• Edited

Hello,

I came across this post and thought I would reply. I have indeed had both bartholin glands removed. I am currently recovering from the removal of my left gland, and I had my right bartholin gland removed in May 2016.

My right side cyst/mass came back after surgery multiple times, so I decided to have the gland removed. Once my right gland was removed, the mass in the left side started growing bigger. Previously the mass on the left was small so we just monitored it. Once we determined it was growing, I decided I didn't want multiple surgeries like the right side, and had the entire gland removed with it so that I can move on with life.

Having the gland removed is more of a major surgery, but worth it in my opinion. My story is a bit more complicated with an autoimmune and bleeding disorder, so my healing time is slower than average. After the gland removal, I am off work 8 weeks.... transitioning back part time at 1st and increasing my hours weekly. The first gland removal, I would say it was 6 months before I felt close to normal. I did have many complications that affected my healing time. With the most recent surgery for the other gland, I am currently 3 weeks post-op....but am much further ahead than previous.

All in all, I am happy I chose to have the glands removed, even though it was a tougher recovery. Now I feel like I can move on with life without these cysts/masses looming over me.

• Posted

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am having my left gland removed in a few hours and am very nervous about post-surgery time. I,too, have an autoimmune disease and am hoping recovery will not be dreadful. I was told I would be out of work for about 2 weeks but now I am questioning that. I just look forward to no more excruciatingly painful abscesses. Are you now using hormone vaginal creams since you had both glands removed?
    • Posted

Good luck with your surgery today!

If you're having the gland removed, most likely you will need more than 2 weeks off work. Everyone heals at their own pace, but autoimmune conditions tend to make wounds slower to heal. I'm at 5 weeks post op, and still full of stitches and unable to sit. They say stitches usually dissolve around 4 weeks...it took about 6 weeks last time for the 1st gland removal. I highly recommend you get a sitz bath that can sit on the toilet bowl, and after the first week do a 20 min sitz bath (with epsom salt) twice a day for at least 20 mins. This helps keep the area clean and lowers the risk of infection. Do this until your stitches heal.

Recovery sucks, but is definitely worth it to not have to deal with the painful masses anymore.

I have not used any hormone vaginal creams, as the gland removals didn't cause the dryness I read about. The glands are not your main source of lubrication, and therefore I haven't noticed any difference post surgery.

I hope everything goes well for you! Let me know if you have any questions about recovery, I know it can be scary when you don't know what to expect!

• Posted

Thanks for the response😊 Surgery went well...in a lot of pain of course. I had my first sitz bath earlier and it sure felt good. Walking isn't happening aside from bathroom trips. Hoping the pain will start to subside soon but I am realistic in expectations. I am so glad the anestheskologist listened to me and gave me everything he could, including the scopolamine patch I still have on, so I wouldn't have another awful experience like I did after hernia surgery. I have a follow up appt on Monday. Glad there is an elevator in that building!😊

• Posted

I'm glad surgery went well. I wish you a full and speedy recovery smile

• Posted

Thanks smile So far, so good. Stitches dissolved and one snipped. Still having pain. Not able to stand for long periods as yet, so will probably be out of work a full 4 weeks instead of the 2 weeks I thought. I sure hope you are feeling better!
    • Posted

I'm glad you're doing well. Definitely take the full 4 weeks, and don't rush it if you need more time. I just started transitioning back to work for short shifts this week. Still in pain, but able to stand and walk short bits 😊

• Edited

I had right side removal done 8 days ago I was hoping to go back to work today but there's no way I work assembly on a car line... But my stitches busted open yesterday which I figured was normal but then the bloodshot came out releasing new blood. I'm just nervous because it doesn't look how I'd expect it too down in that area. I have post on appointment in a few hours today and I have a few questions for my Dr. But if you get this I was wondering when did you get nerve sensations back on the treated side? I'm having nerve pain and it's so uncomfortable with the other pain and burning sensation

• Posted

Hi,

I got my first abscess in August/September of 2017. It was painful to do ANYTHING, but eventually it bursted with hot compress ants & salt. Now it’s returned, however this time it’s not  infected. It’s about a group size says that’s been there for about nine months. It’s not painful. However it is still noticeable.  I could get it lanced but I know that it is just going to return  and be infected this time. So,  I was thinking of just getting the whole gland removed rather than going through the whole infection process again.  My question for you is how is the sex after it has been removed,  & how soon can I have sex after the surgery.

• Posted

do yoy remember having unpleasent vaginal smell after surgery? its been 5 weeks since my left gland was removed and i have this smell for maybe 3 weeks. no infection, wound culture negative...

• Posted

Hi,

I'm new here...

I've just had my first cyst and since it's inside the gland, my OB/GYN has decided to go ahead and just remove the gland altogether. I'm very nervous about this, as I've read all of the horror stories on here in other discussion threads. I want to know what I need to be doing to physically and mentally prepare myself for this. Thanks!

• Posted

Hello. i had gland removal 1 week plus 1 day ago. i was told my stitches will dissolve and no sitz baths i can shower but just let water run off. gently pat dry area with toilet tissue. 2 days ago i noticed a burning feeling and also noticed new bright blood at times. im still unable to sit even with a donut pillow. the new bleed is concerning as well as occasional burning sensation. my post op appointnent is in 6 more days ( 2 weeks post op).

my question is, the burning feeling.. what is that? it comes and goes.

• Posted

what was the burning sensation? Im having similar pain and started new bleeding again. nit a-lot but i notice it when i have the burning sensation. its been 1 week since surgery. I still cannot sit.

I hope you are doing well.

• Posted

Hey Aimee,

I think it may be time for me to remove both glands also.

it was reccomended but i was too worried and theyre judt too much of a nuisance during sex now.

Im most concerned about the lack of lubrication this may cause.

Can you please share your exoeriance regarding lubrucation issues, if any?

Monique

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.