Bartholin gland removal

Posted , 57 users are following.

Hi everyone.

Just wondering had anyone had their bartholin gland removed? I'm am currently on abscess number 16. 16th in 2years. My last 2 burst just over a week ago and it's now back again. I've bee. Referred to a&e by my doctor but I am in so much pain right now I can't even get up from bed to make it to the hospital. I had my shower getting ready to go but the pain was to much I couldn't even get dressed from the waist down. I know when it gets this painful it's nearly time to burst but I can't eve. Get up to pee and I'm about to burst here hahaha. So just wondering who has had the gland removed as its something I want to enquire about now. It's getting to much and completely interfering with my life. I've had enough sad

0 likes, 99 replies

99 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

It’s shocking to me that all of you guys had such a long healing time after Bartholin cyst removal. I have been dealing with Bartholin issues since I was 24. At 26 I had my right one removed since I had recurrent abscesses. I had very little pain afterwards compared to having the abscess it was NOTHING. I had the surgery on a Friday and was back at work on Monday. About 9 years later I had one on the left side that never got infected but grew to be HUGE.  Turns out in addition to a Bartholin I also had two vaginal cyst in there. HAd that removed on a Friday was back to  to work on Monday. Fast forward to Feb of this year and I developed a huge abscess on the left side. It was very infected and I was septic and had to be admitted. It drained spontaneously in the hospital. It healed and my dr just thought it was an abscess not a cyst. Well lo and behold last weekend it came back. I got to the dr before it was infected and I had surgery today. It was another cyst. My dr said a small piece of it must have been left behind after the last surgery since I had 3 cysts in there last time and it grew back! So I’m home now. I have little to no pain and I will be back at work tomorrow! The dr said he got it all this time. So do NOT let these stories of excision scare you. The pain is nothing compared to the abscess and healing is quick. It is SO worth it!
    • Edited

Hi Melissa,

We are talking bartholin gland removal, not just cyst removals. The bartholin gland removal is a major surgery which takes much longer to heal than having the cysts removed, and is quite a different process. We also have auto immune conditions that have complicated the procedure. No one is trying to scare anyone. There simply isn't enough information about this procedure online,so we chose to share our stories in hopes that it may help someone else understand what to expect if they too need a gland removed.

Sorry you have also been dealing with repeat cysts/abcesses. I am glad to hear that your recovery times have been quick.

• Posted

I have had both glands removed and not just the cysts. I demanded they remove the glands because I knew this would keep happening. Trust me, I have an active sex life with my husband and I definitely don't have any bartholin glands so lube is my friend. 

• Posted

It's only been a little over a month since I had my gland removed but it's been a slow process....Had one infection and countless hours of pain..... However it's getting better and my wound is almost closed I say at least 2wks the max.... Can't wait

• Posted

Thank you for you post!! I was starting to get worried about recovery. I had my right Bartholin's Gland removed on 5/11 Friday and was back to work Monday 5/14 with some discomfort and tenderness and I have fibromyalgia  & Sarcoidosis so I started to get really nervous because of my sensitivity to pain and weakened immune system! I had some brownish discharge but i assume it is old blood. I have a desk job so luckily I do not have to do a lot of walking. I have not examined the would eat but will be doing so today!

• Posted

omg I just had to make an account on here to thank you for this. I am getting mine removed tomorrow and was almost in tears reading all these recovery times. I am 24 and would be absolutely screwed if I had to take multiple weeks off of work. Like it is just not possible. My doctor was a little vague, he just said we needed to remove it ASAP and left the room and then called me with his earliest time after I left the office. I have turned to the internet for a lot of my questions and it has been disheartening thinking it is going to take me weeks to recover so thank you a million times!
    • Posted

I am very curious about what it does aesthetically down there? Do you have scarring from the stitches? And mine has grown so large I am worried about the skin being all loose once the abscess is gone? Do you have any answers for that?
    • Posted

I'm still healing but the skin is back to normal tightness and I have a small scar which I thought would be alot bigger. I. Was intimate with my husband yesterday and had no pain but my right side toward the middle of the lip still has nerve issues but other than that everything is good and this is day 40 post op I believe .

• Posted

Hi, just curious because I can't find any information anywhere for the UK. Does the surgery cost & if so how much? 

• Posted

just had mine removed 4 days ago.

it could be different each person but I have a bruise the size of a fist on the inner side of my thigh going up towards my vagina

hardly can walk me to use a cane so me personally I can't imagine wanting to go to my job.

how was your recovery time

• Posted

i had my gland removed two weeks ago and i do not want to have sex but my husband want me to give him oral. I do but it teases me. i know i cant put his penis inside of me but Do you know how soon i can have oral sex.

• Posted

I I would not recommend trying anything for at least 4 to 6 weeks.

I heal very fast so I'm already having sexual intercourse I am almost 8 weeks after the surgery I would recommend using a lubricating product.

I was too excited the first time and I didn't and then it put me back on recovery.

and I would also recommend doing your bath at least 6 times a day to speed along any swelling that you might have.

be careful of infection as well .

so I guess what I'm trying to say is if you want to give your husband oral sex go for it but I would not recommend trying anything for a time.

• Posted

Hi! can you please give me some insight on how it felt and looked down there after the removal of the glands??? I may have to get my right one removed...Im 18 and have been dealing with this since I was 15. Do the nerves still work the same? Is there pain during sex? Is there pain when you body tries to produce something it no longer can?? Thank you so much

• Posted

hi! I see this is an old post but what happened to the skin? did it actually stretch out? I am 7 days out since my gland removal surgery. My gland was the size of a very large egg for 3 years! Never caused any pain so they never wanted to lance it. But finally, they did and once I was healed, I did notice that the skin was a bit stretchier in that side. Not tight like the other side.

• Posted

Hi,

I just had my left gland removed on Monday March 26th. My god the pain is awful! I'm taking morphine, Tylenol and Advil every 3 hours. I honestly feel horrible. Ice been doing sitz baths and lots of ice packs.... please tell me this gets better! sad

• Posted

It gets better, just takes time! Sitz baths are good.... helps keep it clean and prevent infection. Rest as long as it takes, don't rush it! I'm 7 weeks post-op and still resting/recovering. Don't rush things, as long as you still have stitches. Trust me, popping a stitch is the last thing you want. Everyone heals at different rates....but you should notice your stitches starting to dissolve around 4 to 6 weeks. Once you're a couple of weeks post-op, try using a warm washcloth as a compress instead of ice...I found it helped a lot. Take your pain meds, stay in bed, and rest lots! I hope you feel better soon, and have a speedy recovery!

• Posted

I had my right gland removed on the 23rd of March and it’s seems the pain is worse now than in the beginning. He told me mine was rather large and he had to do a few layers of stitches and glue at the top....well I got brave and had a look down there the other day and that crap looks discussing....I have come unglued and the catheter is gone.... I sorta feel like I might be getting an infection....then I squirt it with warm water and it feels a little better sometimes.....did anyone notice a certain type of smell at anytime during you healing process ?  Can I use anything in my sitz baths? I didn’t realize this was going to such a lengthy process
    • Posted

Hi lori88001,

I am very familiar with what you're going through! I hope you feel better soon. These wounds heal from the inside out, so you will see the wound for a while. Stitches should start dissolving at 4 to 6 weeks, this can be a bit painful/raw as they come out... that's normal. Any odour, redness, etc. can definitely be a sign of infection. If you don't have a follow up appointment soon, I would call and make them. It is also common to get yeast infections.

For the sitz bath, use Epsom salt only. Try to do 1 or 2 sitz baths each day and see if it helps. It's good that you took a look at the wound....keep an eye out for any changes.

Unfortunately, it can be a very long process. I'm currently 9 weeks post op (left gland), and just started back to work for 3 small shifts a week. I'm also still fighting some post op infections. My experience from my last surgery for the right gland is it takes about 6 months to get back to normal. I do have an autoimmune condition and so my wounds are typically slower to heal than someone without. You should still see small improvements weekly....but don't rush it!

• Posted

Thank you so much for the sitz bath info....I just ordered one....I think you might be right....its smelly and hurts....I will go in tomorrow if i can wait that long or go to urgent care tonight....
    • Posted

I am now 4 weeks out tomorrow and am still having some pain, especially if up and around most of the day. I believe, however, it is getting better, but the nerve endings are still healing. Had yet another suture (that didn't dissolve) cut out last week, too. I go back to work full time next Tuesday....wish me luck! Btw, those sitz baths were awesome...I just used warm water, tbough. Good luck! Hope it gets better for you!

• Posted

I took another look down there are there supposed to be yellow areas?
    • Posted

Yellow might be bruising, yeast, or infection. I'm sure there are other possibilities I'm not familiar with also. I would call your doctor tomorrow and have them take a look just to be safe.

• Posted

Yellow might be bruising, yeast, or infection. I'm sure there are other possibilities I'm not familiar with also. I would call your doctor tomorrow and have them take a look just to be safe.

• Posted

I had both of my glands removed Tuesday ( 4 days ago ) and am supposed to be returning to work this coming Tuesday (a week later). Is this enough recovery time in your opinion? I’m still in a lot of pain and am alternating ice packs and sitz baths all day long. My doctor told me the recovery period was 4-7 days but reading what everyone has posted is making me think this may be a very long process. I am able to get up and out of bed but for very short periods of time and the pain is uncontrolled with alternating Motrin and Tylenol around the clock. I was prescribed Percocet but the pain and pressure of feeling constipated that first day was not worth the small amount of pain relief I may have felt. I do feel as though I’m getting better slowly but I’m wishful in thinking that the first few days are the worst and then it starts to get better quickly? Any advice or tips for me? 
    • Posted

How has your recover been? One week seems pretty ambitious for having both glands extracted.

I had my right gland removed 4 days ago and feel like I need at least a full two weeks to be able to sit up normally and not be in pain. Have you been using ice at all? I have had an icepack between my legs almost constantly which helps the most. Especially with the dark hematoma that formed. 

• Posted

Sorry for the delayed response, I've been transitioning back to work and life lol!

How are you doing? One week probably wasn't sufficient for a gland removal, if it was just a cyst removal then maybe. I would say most people need minimum 4 to 6 weeks without any other complicating factors. I know this advice is delayed....so let me know where you are at, and how you're feeling now. Also if you still have any questions!

I do recommend sitz baths with Epson salt for the first 4 to 6 weeks. Just a personal opinion from my own experiences.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.