Basic Comfort for LS

Posted , 18 users are following.

I'm not sure if anyone else experiences this? I tend to find something will work for me down there, then it does not. For example: coconut oil has been quite soothing in the past, lately it just irritates me no end. 

I tried Olive Oil but it wasn't that great. The Doctor prescribed Sylk vaginal moisturizer and that can either be Okay or not. 

Has anyone else got other 'comforters' for LS? Mine gets sore and stingy as opposed to itchy. Any help appreciated. x

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm in the uk. I use Epaderm too. I have a small travel tub in my handbag and use it instead of soap down below all the time. If I'm out and have to use a loo that doesn't have a basin in the same compartment then I use it for 'washing' after a wee.

At home I use coconut oil but understand that some people don't get on with it. I did use Emu oil, and it was nice, but haven't got any more. Aloe vera gel is also nice for a change now and again.

• Posted

I use tea tree and witch hazel wet wipes from Boots which I cut in half and store in a plastic toilet wipe box for use at home and put a few in plastic bag to take with me. They remove any acidity and some A & D original diaper rash ointment which I have in a large 500 g tub I got sent from the U.S. It is half petroleum jelly, some lanolin, with Vitamins A and D. I put it in a little round container which goes in my handbag nicely. My Dermo recommended Vasoline to make a waterproof barrier, but this is much easier to apply. I can't manage emu or coconut oil,as they are too thin to stick I find.

Annie

• Posted

If things get too bad I use hydrocortisone then Hydromol over the top. I like you find something can work then not work. Coconut oil was fine then suddenly it was not so I stopped using it for a few days. It is fine again now. Bizarre.

• Posted

If I get sore and stingy I suspect yeast and I use just a finger full of Censtan cream (saved from the last time I did a 7 day treatment) outside and in, to nip it in the bud.
  • Posted

Canestan
    • Posted

I just read this as I believe Canestan is anti fungal . so just a heads up.

Some antidepressants and antipsychotics in particular can react badly to antifungal medications

• Posted

Yes, people on those meds need to know that, thanks. LS and chronic thrush often seem to go hand-in-hand. I'd rather nip it in the bud than wait till there's cheese and have to do a week of applicators and gooey mess.
    • Posted

I always understood that clob can cause thrush sometimes. My Derm started me off on a weaker steroid which had anti-fungal in it.
    • Posted

I can see how they might think clob was the cause, but I had LS and thrush in a vicious cycle for forty years. Once I was diagnosed two years ago and used clob for 18 months, the only time I got thrush was after sex.
  • Posted

I am new to the forum althoough I have been diagnosed with LS for about 6 years now.  My practice nurse has just suggested Sylk as a vaginal moisturiser. I asked about coconut oil and she suggested some people can have a sensativity  to coconut.  It is a nightmare.
    • Posted

Sylk sounds like a pretty good product...not a lot of weird unpronounceable ingredients...mostly natural.  Probably worth a try. You might want to alternate with either the coconut oil, aloe vera gel 97% or higher or the emu oil...just so you don't build up a tolerance or sensitivity to the product.
    • Posted

I've used Emu oil and it is brilliant. I was just finding in pricey ordering it etc., if you know of cheaper bigger bottles that are easier to get in the UK please let me know! (Maybe I am asking the impossiible don't know!)
    • Posted

Hi pam 

I was in a lot of pain earlier this week. I'm currently using a salt water spray, sylk, a bit of canestan and the magic touch for me was vaseline on my clitoris (as it has been super sore). I am SO comfortable. smile I'm also on an antibiotic cream for one patch which might be infected I suppose. (From thrush as I have it a lot). Bathroom visits are interesting and complicated I must say!

• Posted

The doctor prescribes me Epaderm to moisturise and to wash with.  Like Goose grease but it is an emollient and mixes with water and washes off easily with water.  Does make me feel more comfortable and you can use as much as you want.
  • Posted

It is indeed weird that so now and then a person has to switch to something else.  As if LS gets used to one thing and ignores it.  I alternate when that happens with sometimes Emu oil and other times Calendula cream (for babies)  after that coconut oil is just fine again.  

Sometimes I try all the variations that I have read on this site - manuka oil, witch hazel are my latest additions.  At present it is so very hot where I live, and LS doesn't like heat.  Added a bladder infection to the mix as well and had to go on anti biotics again.  Almost done with that and now I hope all stays well and keeps some kind of balance.  

• Posted

I find the same with shampoo's.  I use one for a few weeks and then it doesn't seem to leave the same shine or feel as clean and I have to switch.  The same with deodorant that works for a short while and then stops working.  We build up immunity to things used over a long time as our bodies get used to the products which are in effect trying to counteract the bodies natural process.  I think this is the same with Ls.  Therefore I think it is preferential to alternate treatments and you can go back to treatments that have stopped workng in the past when the body forgets them hopefully.  I just hope that they find new treatments to at least help us stay comfortable and hopefully one day soon a cure.
    • Posted

I'm hoping for a cure too.  Soon.  To be free from all this care.  Too go swim in the lakes as I please and while the rest of my body is still able.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.