Been depressed since heart op

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi all just found this site , so nice to know I am not the only one feeling anxious / depressed. The dr has just prescribed Mirtazpine & after reading all these stories I. Am a bit concerned about taking it , any advise , thank you

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Rosemarie

Welcome to the forum.

I was on mirt for 6 years for depression it stopped working in december and thats when my anxiety started.

It is the best 6 years Ive had my mood was steady and my sleep was good only side effect I had was weight gain.

Because it has stopped working I had to withdraw and be put on another AD that was the hard but I am still on 15mg of mirt at night but have to come off that in the next couple of weeks and its really tough.

Can I just add everyone reacts differently to meds so some of the horror stories on here may not happen to you

I believe mirt is good for depression but not for anxiety.

Stay Strongcool

• Posted

Thank you , yes I was reading some of the stories last night & it freaked me out a bit so didn't take it , going to try acupuncture tomorrow hoping that will helpĀ 
    • Posted

Your doing good some people think popping pills will solve everything.

Acupunture meditation exercise all good do thing to help yourself.

Take carecool

• Posted

Thank you , I have been on some horrible medication since op & I would rather try natural remedies , hate taking tablets x
  • Posted

Hi Rosemarie, everyone is different. My experience is positive. I take mirtazapine with venlafaxine and I've also had CBT (last session today) no weight gain, no increase in appetite: 30mg to sedating. 15mg works for me. All the best and remember things will get better šŸ˜Š

• Posted

Thank you , it's just that some of the stories you hear regarding this ad are a bit scary, glad they work for you, I have got a 15mg one , also having counselling so that helpsĀ 
    • Posted

I also do yoga, Pilates and meditation. I have MS doing all I can! Not just relying on meds' šŸ˜Š
  • Posted

Hia the problems seem to occur more so once you go upto 30mg. If you can manage on 15mg I wouldn't change the dose. I felt great on 15mg best I had in years. Going upto 30mg made me relapse it was that bad. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you , I think because I have been on some horrid medication with bad side effects I am a bit wary of starting a new tabletĀ 
    • Posted

Iv never known side effects like this. I thought old age was creeping in early until I joined this forum. My hips calf muscles eye sight. Felt I was falling apart .. even the middle age spread & cravings for sweets. Happened all so fast too.I lasted 4 months on it I'm on venlafaxine now all good atm fingers xd.
    • Posted

Hi Sharon what strength were you on ? I have been prescribed the 15 mg one, glad your feeling better now XĀ 
    • Posted

Hi rosie I started on 15mg like most...then I think it's the norm to put u upto 30mg. I personally think I should of stayed on 15mg until I felt they wernt working ..but went with the pdr .. wish I hadn't .. if 15mg works for you stay on it don't go up until u feel ready. X
  • Posted

Mirtazapine is one of the most powerful antidepressants and it works much more quickly than any of the others. I had a good experience on it, in that it quickly cleared my depression and restored my sleep allowing me to come off the benzos. However, little did I know it was just covering up the symptoms of my hperthyroidism. It also gave me chronic kidney disease, but this has got a bitĀ better since coming off it. It is not easy to come off, but if you do it slowly, it is not so bad. I put on weight too, but it all came off shortly after coming off it. Then I lost a whole lot more weight which is when I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid.

ā€‹So my advice to you is avoid it if you can possiblly manage without, but if you're in a bad way, it can really dig you out of a hole. It gave me my life back for over 3 years until it stopped working (or maybe it was the hyperthyroidism kicking in, who knows?).

• Posted

Thank you appreciate your comment, you just don't know what to do for the best sometimesĀ 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.