Been prescribed Alendronic acid 70mg

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am 62, had an early menopause (started age 34).  Have had 'disc' operations, suffer with arthritis and osteoporosis.  My lastest bone scan showed a significant increase in loss of bone density, especially in my legs.  My GP prescribed AA 5 weeks ago but I have been frightened to take it after reading varying reports on it.  I saw my GP again today and he convinced me to start taking AA from tomorrow. I am still worried and do not know what to do.  

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Jean, what are your tscores? Osteopenia is not osteoporosis and should not warrant any of the drugs. Some facts that are good to know are ones like just as many people break a bone who do not have osteoporosis as people with osteoporosis. Osteopenia does not necessarily lead onto osteoporosis. People who are less than 5feet 2 inches are not considered to have adult bones. Bone strength is different from bone density. 

Last but not least is the effect on bones from taking the drugs that Anhaga described clearly. Density is only one condition that makes the bones vulnerable. 

• Posted

Dear Jean, to sum - and these thoughts occurred before I found this forum - plenty of very fit, agile, people fall and break bones.  I have crashed down stairwells, tripped over, slipped on floors.  All pretty painful but no breakages. So my measure was 'if it was going to happen it would have by now'.  Kathleen and Anhaga have given the best advice you could find, and you really do have to make the decison for yourself. You can always post your feelings, outcome here on the forum, you may have a good result. To refer to Kathleen's last message, osteopenia is (I think) an indicator of possible osteoporosis. Alarmed drugs were prescribed. The best you can do, is maximise your strength and exercise.  That last doesn't mean marathons, just movement of any kind.  And the leafy greens, etc.

• Posted

Thank you for all the advice, I am so pleased I found this form, it is full of brilliant information.   I have never been one to sit down, partly because I have been in pain for so many years but also because I believe in keeping mobile.  I clearly need to think about doing more exercise at the ripe age of 62.  I have always been cautious of exercising because of ongoing disc problems, (have already had 2 operations) but I will have to do more walking.  I am a healthy eater, don't smoke and not much of a drinker.  I have never been overkeen on milk! but from what I have read that is not necessarily a problem.   I have been on HRT since the age of 36 but GP is refusing to prescribe this at the moment, so I am trying alternative tablets. I was told about 15 years ago that the HRT had helped my bone density. 

• Posted

I thought I would give you my experience of AA.  I am a  71 year old female and about 12 years ago in 2005 I was diagnosed with osteoporosis, mainly in my spine and my doctor prescribed AA and said I would need to be on it for life - WRONG! She said it had been prescribed for her grandmother and she (the doctor) was quite happy that she was taking it etc. etc.  I took it for seven years and during the last two years I was taking it I would get aching in my thigh muscles and a weakness, if I lifted something a bit heavy my leg would just give way.   I started to look up any side effects of AA and found a report on a study that had been done on people who had broken their femurs while on AA, something like 90% of them!  Just stepping off a kerb had been enough to break what is supposedly the strongest bone in the body.  After reading that there should be a holiday after five years, but I had been on them for longer than that, it was in 2012 that  I stopped taking them and told the doctor but she wasn't impressed.  I had been off them for two years when I slipped in the garden and broke my femur!! So much for all those years of supposed protection from broken bones.   I had a nail and screws put in and after seven months it was healed but after the break, in 2014  I was advised that as I had had a "holiday" from taking them I should take them again.  I was reluctant to take them but thought I should but I have stopped them again, without telling my doctor, as I thought that if I can break a femur when I'd been taking them for so long then what protection would I get from taking them again. I have recently read that they should now be stopped after three years not five so don't feel so bad about not taking them.  I was offered a six monthly injection but I didn't want that because once it's in it's in and what if I had a reaction or didn't want to take it any more, best to stick to tablets that I can take or not.      By the way, I was told by my dentist that if I needed a tooth out, being on AA, I had to go to the hospital to have it done!!  It's to do with AA causing osteonecrosis of the jaw which makes it crumble when disturbed.   I have about four compressed fractures in my spine, probably not helped by the numerous falls I have, mainly by standing on chairs instead of ladders or tripping over rugs etc. so I think I will just take my chances and hope I don't break a bone again.  The reason I broke my femur was because I wore plastic Croc shoes out in the garden when the grass was damp - a lethal combination.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing, and so very very sorry for all that has happened. xx
    • Posted

AA stays in your system for many years unfortunately.

Sorry you broke your femur and also compressed fractures in your spine.

I can only imagine how painful that is. It was a shame your doctor did not know that it was unwise to take AA for so long. 

I would just go the natural route and all the information is on here.

• Posted

hi my name is Jan I wasnt happy to find I have osteoporosis, but glad that it was discovered in the early stages, after dexa scan and blood test the advise is alendronic acid. I took the first on 2 days ago, im not sure howI feel about taking the meds, but really want to stop the osteoporosis.  Ingaven had upset and painful stomach but am hoping after a few weeks this will cease. apart from that I seem ok.

I am surprised to read on here so many not taking the med. Im wondering whats worse side effects or losing more bone density.

• Posted

I didn't take the meds but I have improved my bone density without medication, solely through nutrition including supplements and appropriate exercise.  So you aren't necessarily condemned to losing more bone mass if you stop taking AA, provided you step up to the plate and do other things to help the bones.  It's quite a lot of work, at least at first, but eventually it becomes second nature and I really miss my leafy greens if I don't have them for a couple of days, or don't feel right if I haven't walked my 10,000 steps... cool

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.