Been put on citalopram for anxiety and not sleeping, sleeping is worse!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been taking these pills for about 10 days and initially the side effects were awful, nausea, sick, no appetite, more anxious and virtually no sleep. After taking first pill in morning I realised it made me sleepy so switched to taking before bed in the hope it would help with my sleeping. Unfortunately not - did get one good night at weekend and felt so much better yesterday but last night it's like back to square one. Anyone got similar experience - currently on 10mg citalopram and don't see doctor again till November.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

MY DR FINALLY TOOK M OFF HEHE DISCOVERED ALL MY SYMPTOMSWERESIDE EFFECTS.T
    • Posted

Bobbee I've seen you on another thread and everyone is different I think you need to stop fear mongering. 
    • Posted

Hi, you are both right... There is no right or wrong, simply think bobbee is sharing his horror as to the effect, as I had also, and I would not want others to suffer these effects if there are more suitable options... Which I appreciate there ma not be, as you are correct also holly, everybody is different, but we are all on here as we are depressed or anxiety sufferers. Good luck everybody, it's sh*t feeling like this :-( xx
    • Posted

Hi Holly,

seem to be causing a bit of controversy here with other posts ! Thanks for your input - just to report something more positive I had a reasonable nights sleep last night , still not feeling too great today but definitely better. Been trying natural aids to help sleep, relaxation apps, lavender oil, tiger balm to ease pain in neck and shoulders ( which incidently is awful and think this will be contributing to poor sleep) . Aim to get some better pillows to see if that helps and also tried a trick recommended by my sister in law and put a nice cuddly fur throw on top of mattress and lay on that for extra comfort - sounds a bit crazy but actually think it may have helped ! Will maybe even try it with a duvet underneath as she actually suggested but will have to pinch one from elsewhere to try it. So hope for anyone else out there that these simple things might help them too, anything is worth a try.

Val

• Posted

That sounds great Val I'm so pleased for you! The only way is up. So sorry you've got physical pain to deal with too, that's not going to help. Also didn't mean to cause controversy, just the above poster has been posting unhelpful messages on lots and lots of posts just saying COME OF CITALOPRAM IT'S DANGEROUS etc and it's very unhelpful.

Anyway enough of that! Good luck for another good night and let's see how you get on x

• Posted

That sounds great Val I'm so pleased for you! The only way is up. So sorry you've got physical pain to deal with too, that's not going to help. Also didn't mean to cause controversy, just the above poster has been posting unhelpful messages on lots and lots of posts just saying COME OF CITALOPRAM IT'S DANGEROUS etc and it's very unhelpful.

Anyway enough of that! Good luck for another good night and let's see how you get on x

• Posted

Morning

must have been a fluke , had another sleepless night but again think it's the pain in shoulders that is apparent as soon as I am lying in bed, my newly purchased v pillow for support appears not to have helped. Don't know if the side effects from pills could be increasing the shoulder pain at times and still clinging to that and hoping it will ease in time. Anyone had these issues? 

Val

• Posted

Hi Holly

almost scared to say it but feeling a bit better and sleeping on some nights a bit better. I was wondering if this would be the maximum effect I can expect from 10mg or is it liable to keep improving over the next few weeks? Not really keen to have an increased dose unless doctor advises it. What was your experience of it, I see some others have gone up to 20mg but had to reduce again quite soon because of side effects?  Given that my side effects were bad on 10mg not keen to go through it again. Will the benefits keep in reading on 10mg , I am just two weeks into taking them ? 

Val

• Posted

Hi Valerie I recommend reading the effortless sleep method by Sasha Stephens she's been through it all and has a very knowledgable approach.
    • Posted

Hi David

i have downloaded this book to my kindle , anything is worth a try. Will let you know if it's successful - thank you

Val

• Posted

Let me know what you think - the steps seem simple but they have to be consistently put in place.

I also found her follow up book 'The Effortless Sleep Companion' helpful - it deals with lapses and she knows every symptom and worry trust me ! x

• Posted

Hi David,

canI also ask if you were on citalopram when you were successful with this book ? I find my sleeping to be worse since taking them and can see that before them I actually wasn't so bad for hours of sleep but I did need pills for the anxiety that seemed to kick in after poor sleeping for over a year. Just hoping most of these side effects will ease in time .

Val

• Posted

Hi David,

canI also ask if you were on citalopram when you were successful with this book ? I find my sleeping to be worse since taking them and can see that before them I actually wasn't so bad for hours of sleep but I did need pills for the anxiety that seemed to kick in after poor sleeping for over a year. Just hoping most of these side effects will ease in time .

Val

• Posted

Hi Valerie,

Hi Valerie - I've been on fluoxetine for 5 weeks haven't taken citalopram yet but may consider it if the fluox doesn't have much impact. The book provides a series of 'promises' (to your self) around sleeping hygiene and actions when things go wrong. I haven't been cured as such yet (it does take time) but am following the guidelines and they do help over time. The citalopram side effects will calm down after a few weeks.

• Posted

Hi David

just wanted to update you on your recommendation that I read the book 'The Effortless Sleep ' - I have now read it and whereas a lot of the rules are not new  I do feel a benefit from taking on some of the ideas and it has allowed me to approach sleeping in a less stressful way which I believe, fingers crossed, is already having some effect. It's either that or the medicine is finally doing its job, whatever! That aside I enjoyed the book and found it to be very useful and have even recommended it to family members . Thank you so much for posting the info in the first place.

Hope you are well and coping too

Val

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.