been waiting weeks to go for AAA op

Posted , 7 users are following.

after been diagnosed with a 7ctm AAA the consultant told me I urgently needed a Endovasular op, that was 4/5 weeks ago and I found out this morning I won't be seeing the surgeon until 29th Sep when he will talk me through the procedure and hopefully when I will have it. I'm 78, male, and I know this could burst any time and at my age it would be fatal so you can guess how I feel, after reading all the other messages about the pain after the op supprised me as the op is not open surgery but a bit like key hole surgery from what I been told, any help and advice would be appreciated, thank you. James16105

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You are lucky, I have no idea what size mine is

I dont even know what caused mine

Mine might be fatal, I dunno

I cant even find out how to get mine checked again, it was over a year since it was checked

If I die there aint much I can do about it, I am just doing what I have done for years, I am not going to sit around worrying about it, I'll end up with ulcers

Everyone here will sypathise with you, but you wont get much information, if you want that speaak to your GP, he went to Medical school to give you answers and its what he is paid for (assuming he hasnt moved to Oz)

Well good luck with whatever you find out and do

Dieing aint so bad, its just for such a long time, Life is the longest thing you are ever going to do, make the most of it live each day like its your last, I do, and today is a good day

• Posted

thanks for your helpful reply Derrick,  you should keep at the hospital to insist you need a new check up, tell them you are always worried about it bursting, I'm sure they will get back to you, go online to your hospital and you will find out what the procedure is, don't let it rest, it's your body. let me know how you get on.  James

• Posted

I'm not worried about bursting, there isant much I could do if it did

Waiting on letters and appointments, no one seems in a rush though, so it cant be all bad

Case of hurry up and stand still and carry on with my life

• Posted

Hi Derrick are you by any chance from New Zealand. Just noticed your Oz comment. I can feel your pain in regards to letters and appointments etc
    • Posted

Nope, UK, but I been to Oz, and the good old NHS is looking after me biggrin

• Posted

My repair was open but my nephew surgery was endovascular. His surgery was performed through an incision in the groin and a small one in the upper left chest. His was emergency surgery because he wasn't aware that he had an aneurysm until it dissected. He is 50 yrs old, 6'2, 195lbs. He was very active, infact he was on a treadmill when he noticed a problem. He went to er the following morning because he hadnt recovered from feeling sick the night before. Doctors ordered test only to discover the aneurysm and its dissection. Endovascular is definitely not as invasive or traumatizing to the body but its still heart surgery and carries risk. His main hurdle to overcome was tiredness. Also, his recovery time was a lot less than mine. His surgery was April 14, 2016. He says that he still gets tired faster than normal but not in pain except for occasional brief fleeting pain. His incision looks like a scratch... My aneurysm was monitored for 8yrs before my surgery. When it started to enlarge and doctors said surgery was necessary, it took about 3 months to actually get me to surgery. I know having this knowledge probably has caused a lot of sleepless nights, it did for me but your doctor's truly have your health as their number one concern. Everything has to be in place for them, for you health wise and for your recovery. Continue to get as much information about it as possible, it will help. 7cm seems huge but your height, weight and other factors are taken into consideration as well. I am 57yrs old 5'5" and mine was 5.8 cm by the time I had surgery. I hope you received a little comfort here. It is scary, it's a lot to wrap your head around but you will get through it. Try to take it one day at a time and make sure you have a good support system.

• Posted

Hi gigi, thank you for your very informative and helpful messaage, it did help me, your nephew was young to have an AAA, you said he felt very tired after the op and thats what I worry about as I am 78 but I do have a wonderful wife who is ten years younger than me and I know she will do everything she can to help me. I just now wish to hell I had it all over, it's been a long wait, I'm hoping I will start feeling better by Christmas, once agan gigi thank you, (love your name) James

• Posted

Christmas, what better goal? Sounds like you have a great wife & support system already. Before you know it, you will be recovering. Thanks for the compliment!

• Posted

I think the timescale target from diagnosis is approx. 8 weeks. Though you have a large AAA ( mine also was large but at 5.5cm which then triggered the repair process ). Some have grown to 9cm without rupture. Any burst/rupture could be fatal regardless of age.Try to carry on normal though this will obviously be at the back of your mind. Once you've had your consultation they'll soon have you in for surgery. You will probably have evasive surgery rather than open surgery due to age. I'm 68 and had evasive. From my own experience you should not feel any discomfort. I had EVAS performed in preference to EVAR. Slight difference but effectively same process ie Stent. I went in one morning and back home the following evening. The only discomfort I had was having to have a catheter ( to check colour and volume of urine to make sure renal function was ok ) until the following morning. Yes, key hole surgery via groins, no soreness and the 'nicks' are hardly visible. Took it easy for 6 weeks and now doing things as before. Had mine done end June, follow up CT Scan in October and seeing Consultant in November for review. Hope all goes well James but do try to carry on as normal. Regards.

• Posted

thank you jw99 for your valuable help, it really did make me feel   a lot more optimistic and calmer in my self. will post results. once again thanks for making me feel better already. James
  • Posted

At last, someone who can tell me how they sort these things out,

I thought they opened up your chest and had a good old poke around until they found something

This keyhole surgery sounds a lot better (who want a big zip in their chest anyway?)

But again I have no idea how big or small mine is, but 5cm sound big, no wonder my gut seems to never go down (I hope mine isnt that size yet though)

I do take a rather fatalistic view though, I got Cerebral Malaria a couple of years back, died twice (thanks to the nurses and doctors that bought me back) so nohing is impossible thanks to the NHS and our wonderful doctors/nurses

Thanks to everyone on this thread, its been interesting reading how this has affected them and how they got over it

I wont be jumping in with more comments/views, but I will read them biggrin

If it goes belly up for me I'll post that though

Have a good day and an even better life lol

• Posted

I do like your sense of humour !

If it cheers you up and from what I can gather, the mortality rate from open surgery is significantly greater than evasive surgery!

Keep on rockin' biggrin

• Posted

well, you have to have a sense of humour about it, depression isnt going to make matters any better

I gues you are asleep while this goes on, so if it goes belly up, I wouldnt know anything about it

That has to be better than pipes and tubes all over you frown

The doctors will do their best, they always do, but if you number is up, there you go (maybe my number wont come up, I have won buggerall on the lottery)

Hope for the best prepare for the worst (my old sargeant major drummed that into us, I used the same words 20 years later with recruits)

• Posted

Hi, I'm here to give you some encouragement.  My husband is 72 years old and was diagnosed with an aortic abdominal anuerysm 10 cm. three and a half months ago. Had no idea he had it.  Went to the doctor for a completely unrelated issue and this is what was found!  A big shock.  He was in a surgeon's office the next day and in the operation room for an Endovascular repair the next week.  He did great and went home the day after the surgery.  He is 6 feet and before the surgery weighed 198.  He was not in any significant pain, only the incisions in the groin area and only took Tylenol.  But he completely lost his appetite and lost about 15 pounds.  Just could not force food down.  This went on for about three week and of course he was tired and weak.  He slowly got his appetite back and has now gained the weight back.  His energy level is improving and I think he will soon be 100%.  During this recovery period, he quit smoking so he has been dealing with that in addition to trying to come back from the surgery.  He goes tomorrow for his three month check of the scan area to make sure everything is in place.  I know you are afraid of your aneurysm bursting, but as you see hey can get pretty big and not burst.  I am kind of glad we didn't know about his but a few days before he had the surgery.  He had been very active, playing golf, doing yard work, lifting heavy objects, just what he had always been doing.  I don't know that there is anything you do that actually causes one to burst or anything you can do to keep it from bursting.   Hang in there for the next two weeks!  I will pray for you to have your surgery soon and recover completely!  😊

• Posted

Hi Ann, thank you so much for your helpful reply, it really has given me confidence to have the Op, the op must not have been too invasive to the body when they send you home the next day (I'm pleased to hear) why was it he lost his appertite? strange one that , could it have been the effects of the anesthetic? pleased he is now okay, once again Ann thank you so much, James

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.