Beginning exercises for after ankle fracture

Posted , 7 users are following.

We need to wait until we get our doctor's okay, but I found an article online yesterday, that seemed helpful. If you are interested, look up these words " royal berkshire ankle fracture "  for an article entitled " Physiotherapy following your ankle fracture - Royal Berkshire Hospital " . 

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Noting......thanks Patti, also compartment syndrome after fractures and casts.....most never heard of it.....👣
    • Posted

Interesting Jannie! I just researched it. I'll ask my doctor if I could possibly have this on the top of my foot from the cast being installed too tight. I now remember I went back into the cast room one week because the cast felt too tight and they told if it was fine. It is getting much better through massage- maybe it's bringing oxygen into the area by doing so. Thank you for the info- very helpful!
    • Posted

Patti, I think Doctors know things can happen, why we the patients are mostly left in the dark is beyond me - last Dr I saw says compartment syndrome happens a lot.  Thank goodness for Dr Google....even though you have to be mindful it's the Internet - I find massage very helpful.  Take good care 👣
    • Posted

How is yours doing? You have it too, right? Thanks again for the info. At least it looks like we can reverse it.
    • Posted

Jannie- I looked at pictures online and I don't think I have that, as I don't have sores, big bruises, or blisters, just a lot of tenderness on the top of my foot. What do you have?
    • Posted

I dont have that either but my ankle is so stiff and I can get dorsiflexion to properly bend foot also hyperextended leg.......it's slowly unlocking  but it's far away still......I think it's just the severity of the break, times heals all wounds, when is another story....haha. Take care Patti 👣
    • Posted

My ankle is still super stiff despite massaging, exercising, icing, blah, blah, blah. I limp badly and is swollen 24/7, more so after 10 hours at work. My physio is at best useless, just massages some cream into my ankle, and sympathises with me. She told me that only one other patient had swelling at  10 months which made me feel even more fed up. I get angry that every morning when I awake that I know that another day has passed with no progress. I have the do further exercises with rubber bands as my lower leg is tender and is apparently weak. 
    • Posted

Sounds as though your physio hasn't had much experience in ankle breaks if she telling you only one other patient had swelling at ten months. Think she must have a brother who is my physio. He just says "keep on with exercises and make another appointment for two weeks time. 

I had a young year two student who has done more for me than those who qualified. Unfortunately she now left to return to university. 

I am returning to work on Tuesday, dreading the standing. Just have to wait and see how things go. 

• Posted

Hi Paul- I read at one point that the average person with ankle injuries has swelling 12-18 months out, and sometimes a bit more. I think it may be normal, especially if you are on your feet 10 hours a day. Someone here recommended Epsom salt soaks. My foot was throbbing last night, after too many WB walking exercises for the day, and the very warm bath with Epsom salt (my first time) helped me a lot. I slept like a baby (or should I say kid...babies seem to wake up a lot at night). Just another idea...you probably have tried everything and time seems to be the only true healer, but any ideas are worth trying, right? Sounds like you need a new physio btw! Maybe it's time for a change or new ideas/methods- the change may be just what you need if possible. Have you tried swimming if you can get to a pool somewhere?
    • Posted

It I get really frustrated as I think she has almost given up on me when she made the statement that there is only one other person with swelling at 10 months. I have 30 minutes physio every 3 weeks which is not enough in my opinion. I returned to work mid  Jan after 3 1/2 mo this off work. I will be totally honest , the first two weeks will be hard on you especially if you are on your feet alot as I am. I felt tired constantly and when returning home went to bed after eating. It did get easier but you will have good and bad days. I was advised by my doctor to return to work part time and on light duties 😂 That lasted a day or two. Make sure you let your employers know your situation and take regular breaks. Good luck on your return
    • Posted

Hi Patti. Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

The last 7 months have been challenging to say the least and I know we are all in the same situation. I take on board about trying new ideas, and that I will try Epson salts. I am now looking into paying privately for a new physio as I have lost all confidence with my NHS physio. I have arranged to go swimming this Friday, the first time in 43 years, so that will be an experience...lol  I have 3 weeks holiday left to take before August at work so will take my annual leave before schools break up and hopefully it won't be very busy. 

• Posted

Paul- Let us know how the swimming goes. I went swimming for two days when on a trip, about 3 weeks ago, where there was a pool...it was such a freeing and magical feeling to be able to swim and move, because I was still NWB and just had my cast taken off at that point, 7 weeks after my injury. I never enjoyed swimming as much in my whole life! I hope you find it as wonderful as I did. And it sure sounds like it is time to get back in the pool for you!  Sounds also like a well-deserved holiday coming up for you too! 

I just got a fresh comfrey leaf and root delivered by mail and I ground it all up in a food processor, plastered it on my ankle and foot where it hurt and where I could feel and see swelling, and also all over my healed incision near where the bones were broken. I look quite silly now with an ace bandage and seran wrap encircling my ankle. It may not help, but I'll try anything that people say helped them at this point....hItting this thing on all fronts. We can't give up!

• Posted

I will let you know how the swimming goes. I'm a little apprehensive but looking forward to experimenting and hopefully won't sink...lol

I was displaying one of my Eastern bloc cars at a classic car event a couple of Sunday's ago and got chatting to a chap who had a knee replacement and he goes swimming 2-3 times a week and says that he has no pain or stiffness as a result. I used to love swimming as a child but always was too busy as I started work, then family commitments etc. If it is a success then I will go 2-3 times a week, and yes Patti, I definitely am in need of a holiday, the last 12 months have been difficult to say the least, I just hope that this is the start of improvement and can look forward to the summer. Where did you buy the fresh comfrey leaf ? I may try it as I have read good results and as you say, it's worth trying. We certainly can't give up even though at times it is difficult. 

• Posted

I ordered them online in the states from an organic farm in NC, and they sent them to me in California. It was just part of the plant (leaves and a root) and it came fresh through the mail. I think you could plant it and get a full plant eventually, but I was so excited to finally get the plant (hard to find) that I ground it up (root and all-the roots are the most potent I hear) and made a poultice for my foot and ankle and it's on right now. Let me know how the swimming goes! I'm so excited for you Paul!

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Paul- What I got was called "Common or True Comfrey". Kind of pricey- 19 dollars a root. The root came with leaves too though. If you can find a plant from your local garden shop, that would be a better route to go. Otherwise, try this one.
    • Posted

I will take a look online to see if I can buy in Uk, maybe try as you suggest our local garden centre. I am pleased for you and really hope it works, I'm sure it will do from what I have read from other group posts.

I will let you know how swimming goes on Friday.

Thank you for your kind comments.

I really appreciate it.

Im off to bed now as its 01.30 almost 

Good night and take care, speak soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.