Beginning exercises for after ankle fracture

Posted , 7 users are following.

We need to wait until we get our doctor's okay, but I found an article online yesterday, that seemed helpful. If you are interested, look up these words " royal berkshire ankle fracture "  for an article entitled " Physiotherapy following your ankle fracture - Royal Berkshire Hospital " . 

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

This is a great link. I've had little to no help, even from my physio.

My surgeon gave me go ahead to walk but with no instructions at all - just stop if it hurts. It hurts all the time!

The physio gave me a couple of the beginner exercises then said don't do anything until you see your surgeon again?!?

These exercises have a simple start and gradually increase as strength returnsreturns.

Thanks!

• Posted

I found it helpful too. I was hoping it helped someone here. 
    • Posted

Patti123...I have the pain on the top of my foot too burning and numbness worse at night I don't know if it will be ok with your dr but I have been doing s warm Epsom salt soak before I use it then ice after my walks this seems to lessen the pain a little
    • Posted

Thanks for letting me know about that! I don't see any reason why I can't do that. I will ask him. Thank you very much!!
    • Posted

I agree....it is worse at night. I find warm baths, followed by ice seem to help too, as well as massaging it. It has gotten much better in the last two weeks (the time I got my cast off and realized I even had it), but I still have 50% to fix. Appreciate your help.
    • Posted

Hi Lisa- I had to look back to see who recommeneded the Epsom salt baths. It was you. Loved it. Thank you!
    • Posted

You are welcome I love them, they are a part of my nightly ritual ...Epsom bath... comfrey massage ....ice ankle and elevatesmile and of course stalk this website for any new info that might make this healing journey easier smile
    • Posted

That's my nightly routine now too! I have been using the comfrey cream for 3 weeks now and think it has helped my swelling enormously (or maybe it is just all the massage I do on my foot). The only thing I add to your list is that I the cool fresh aloe vera on the top of the foot and big toe (where it hurts from my cast) and over the scar, then wrap it all loosely with an ace bandage to hold it there for the night....feels heavenly. Btw, I think the hot and cold is a good thing as well (contrast therapy) on the foot! 
    • Posted

Hi Lisa- I had a doctor's appt. today and I mentioned our concern with the numbness on the top of our injured feet and big toes. I told him I have been massaging it a lot (since it came out of the cast 3 weeks ago) and now I have only 50% of the feeling back. He said our problem is totally normal and has to do with the cast being on for so long (7 weeks for me). Did you have a cast on too? If so, for how long? He said the ankle was not the only thing frozen in place for all that time; the foot was too, and this will be worked out through PT, using it, and time. He said Epsom salt soaks were fine to do to loosen the area up. I asked how long it takes to get the calf muscle back to normal and he said about a year or so, and it can come back to 99% it's original size approx., if you work at it. As I left the office, I met a gal who was a pharmaceutical rep, sitting in the lobby of the building, She told me she had broken her ankle a few years ago (at 52), and she said it took her a full 18 months before her ankle was totally back to normal (she had two broken ankle bones). She said her ankle is 100% back to normal and she has run races since the break and can do anything she did before she injured it. The swelling took a long time to go down according to her, and she also mentioned something I have been experiencing in the last week, which are jolts of pain, out of no where, that run through your foot, ankle and/or leg. She said that really worried her when it happened, so she asked her doctor about it, and he said it was a very good sign, and meant that the nerves were beginning to fire. She told me she learned that first the bones heal, then the tendons, and finally the nerves reconnect. 18 months is a long time, but isn't it great we may feel 100% by then!
    • Posted

Patti123,

Wow 18 months is long time!!! But all my fears will at least have solutions. I was talking to my daughter last night and I told her I was going to have a Cankle instead of an ankle for the rest of my life she was laughing at me because through this I have said ... I am never going to get to leave my house but I have ... I am never going to get my dog back but I did ... I am never going to go back to work but I did ... I am never going to walk but I have ... So everything you just told me has calmed my fears for the future I can wait ...All the jolts of pain are weird glad to know those are normal!!!! Your posts are always so helpfully thank you sooo much!!!!

• Posted

Lol oh and what about cute shoes?
    • Posted

So funny! I'll have to ask him next time about the pretty high heeled shoes....but come to think of it the gal I talked to in the lobby had at least medium sized heels on I think. I have been wondering if I will be wearing flats for the rest of my life and all the high heeled shoes in my closet would turn into a museum of the life I used to live smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.