Bend on tkr

Posted , 8 users are following.

I’m in week 4 after my tkr and getting quite worried about the bend. It’s only about 20degrees. I did have a slight infection in the wound and just finished antibiotics. All clear now. I can walk short distances with one stick or without. It’s just my exercises with the bend. It’s just so stiff! 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Shona I hired a cpm machine for 4 weeks to help with my flexion it may be worth considering. Just keep doing your range of movement exercises, rest, ice and elevate afterwards. Don't worry about strengthening exercises just yet ROM are definitely more important X 

• Posted

Most hospitals around here stopped using the CPM machine I loved it got comfortable put my leg on it and let it do all the work. Now they do a more hands on approach.Whether its the therapist massaging your knee and then start gently bending it before giving it that final push to see how far it can be bent. As far as doing it with out the maching heel slides sitting on a chair ( like a dining room chair ) and straighten your leg out and with your heel on the floor slide it as far back as you, another sit on a table with your knee over the edge and try and bend your knee as far back as you can. Compared to the CPM these are hard.
  • Posted

Apparently it's a machine doing the work rathe than one's muscles. I loved it for three sessions a day for the first 3 days in hospital then it was stopped. I would fall asleep during it, maybe it was the drugs.

Read heel slides and other exercises there are some good Youtube videos.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.