bending after surgery

Posted , 19 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Hi

I had my posterior prolapse surgery Thursday. Home Friday. Saturday quite chipper. Today feel tired achy a bit like period ache. I have been a bit busy picking bits up off the floor. No heavy stuff is this doing too much?

1 like, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The best advice i got from this sit was the use of a small stool to put my feet on when having a BM... 6 inches tall. There is one you can buy, a "Squatty Potty", but I had a little one from a craft store that works for me. 
  • Posted

I think a stool for the lav is a good idea. I have heard this in normal circumstances is helpful in emptying bowels . I seem to be quite ok there at the moment plenty of water etc to help .. Have very low a hey draggy feeling mostly on left side today so more resting and staying in pjs too is a good idea
  • Posted

Hello ladies. I'm 4 weeks post prolapse (posterior and anterior repairs)surgery, and the bending thing is serious; just stop doing it. Saw the physio on Monday and she was adamant that we don't lift, or BEND. Now when I bend, or walk too far, I bleed afterwards and I feel awful. Leave the washing on the floor.

I had a nasty infection on week two so I'm really in week 3 of recovery as that set me back.

But all things considered I'm glad I had it done. Sex was painful, my bladder was unreliable and now already I feel better; I can sneeze without peeing!

So glad I found this forum, it's hugely helpful.

• Posted

today is 14 days after surgery and I finally had a full BM, it was very painful, took alot of prune juice and coffee, I know alot said stool softeners but I had the runs so my dr had me stop them to bulk up, guess I overbulked.  Anyway, I tried to sit for long periods of time to make it happen, which isnt easy because im back to working full time after one week off.  I cant tell you what a relief that is and hope this is the end of the pain.  One thing that worries me is if the BM undid my surgery, it wasnt easy, I didnt push but I had sort of spasms/contractions which did the pushing for me. I go to dr on 3/13 and am hoping my surgery is still a success.  Ill keep all posted.
    • Posted

So glad your feeling better.  I can't believe you are going back to work so soon.  Be careful and listen to your body.  
    • Posted

Hi sue, I went back to work on day 8 after surgery.  I had surgery on wed, came home that day, took off wed, thurs and fri as vacation days, then we had the weekend, then a snowstorm monday, work closed, planned on going back tues but then I was in too severe pain so went back that thurs.  I told my dr my plan to go back mon after surgery and his words, "you're in great shape, you'll do fine".  Son of a bitch, im gonna slap him at my appt in march.  Im preparing a list for him for my appt, the reality of rectocele recovery.  Hoping he'll entertain in changing his brochure on recovery for future patients.  
    • Posted

Hi Gail. ...

I've posted our hospitals recovery advice on here in answer to witchesmole request. Maybe it coukd help you? Quoting the East Sussex Hospital Trust guidelines.

• Posted

My hospital recommended 4 weeks off work instantly and the GP said she'll extend that. If you don't need to go straight back, please stay on the couch folks.

I walked too far yesterday and I'm bleeding and sore this morning. Went to 2 supermarkets with my husband. You don't realise just how far you walk and that was longer than 10 minutes, which my hospital suggests until week 6. They've given us a grid with all the physical activities; ironing, shopping, hoovering etc to guide us. It's brilliant! No carrying shopping or laundry not for weeks yet. Maybe this advice isn't given out to everyone?

• Posted

Hi patsybythesea

That sounds like good advice I wasnt given anything from the hospital and no follow up later either. i wonder if somehow you can copy and add file to this forum for us to see what your hsp has advised regards activity etc

• Posted

Pretty sure that Info has already been posted on here. A post by Sue I think (?).  Think it was sowmtime between October and December. 
    • Posted

I've just added the guidelines from my hospital below too. Hope it helps whoever needs it. smile
  • Posted

The resources for information is the only problem with this kind of forum. If we had a page like on Facebook we could save a file for reference, But since it is a rotating kind of thing, we just have to pass on the things that work for us and hope the tips get passed on. I am in the states and I got no information on levels of activity after surgery. The small stool was a life saver for me. The best thing about finding this place was the reassurance I got from women who had the same surgery and survived! OK, we all survive, but the recovery was different than I expected. 
  • Posted

Re the advisory grid sent out by my hospital, we can't add pics or files to these posts but I can write it out here. It's a general guide by the way.

'The chart below is an approximate guide to when you might consider returning to a range of activities as listed. The principle that applies (and this is underlined) is that if you don't feel ready, or if any activity attempted produces any discomfort or strain, then you should defer for a longer period of time. In other words apply a common sense approach and you should avoid any risk of harm to the outcome of your surgery. None of these activities are crucial in order to achieve a normal recovery. The pelvic floor exercises advised by the physiotherapists are considered beneficial.'

We were visited by the physio and advised no pelvic floor appointments til her appointment 4 weeks hence. She insisted the tissue needed time to heal and tapes etc needed to bond with the skin. Stitches needed to have time to do their job.

Ok, the activity grid looks like this:

Week 1: you can make yourself a hot drink

week 2: you can start light housework; eg dusting

week 3: you can start cooking ànd short 10 minute walks

week 4: you need to start your walks if not already done so

week 5 &6: you can start pelvic floor exercises; possibly drive but check with your insurer first; return to desk bound work; swimming

(I've been told that I must be able to perform an emergency stop before I can drive)

week 7&8: you can start hoovering and ironing

week 9&10: you can start heavy load washing; light gardening (no diggjng); household shop; sex with penetration

week 11&12: you can start returning to normal work/exercise (but no sit ups, abdominal crunchs etc)

Avoid: heavy gardening, lifting toddlers/weights/heavy manual employment

I hope this helps anyone here. It certainly helped my family understand that although you can't see I'm healing or incapacitated, this is what I can do.

• Posted

Hi patsybythesea

Thank you very much for taking the time to do this. it is most helpful :-)

• Posted

I know you posted this over a year ago but was so helpful for me as I was beginning to think I am not doing enough and being lazy but when I do anything to much I am sore so thanks for making me feel better and accepting I need to take it bit at a time I am

3weeks post op for anterior and posterior repair didn't realise how much it takes out of you I am feeling better but no where near fit I have 6weeks sickline but honestly can't see me being fir foe work even then as I work full time 40 hours a week and have manual job standing lifting, and bending what's the chances dreading going back to work but thanks your post wa big help x

• Posted

Thanks so much for posting this. I thought I had a good understanding of the dos and don'ts but this has really helped. I'm on day 3 after surgery and thought I'd be back cooking by tomorrow. I also didn't know I shouldn't bend. So glad I found this info early on before I could do anything too wrong!

• Posted

Patsy, thank you as this has been a great help. I have IBS and I’m on Linzess, this has kept me going without strain but I decided not to take it yesterday and to take the stool softener the doctor gave me, I still had a some what loose stool but I had bleeding after. I think from rectum and the stitches area between my vagina and rectum. I have taken it easy other than having to pick my very small chihuahua up and take outside. He’s 13 years old and I have to clean his pads up and mop where he pees. I don’t hurt when I’m doing any of that or bleed. This forum really helps a lot. I have had this surgery before, but many years ago. I tend to think with the rectum and vagina put through so much surgery, to rest and don’t worry about the rest. I don’t have any help and live alone. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.