Benefits of using olanzapine as an anti-psychotic

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey guys. I've been on 20mg of olanzapine for several years now. I am really alarmed by the amount of stories from people on the web who chose to discontinue this drug. It's virtually impossible to read anything positive about the benefits of using this drug. From what I've read people experience unbearable withdrawals when weaning off this drug and worse still for many, the problems they experienced when they started this drug return and they wind up back in hospital. Surely someone else out there can understand the advantages of taking an anti-psychotic to ward off experiencing acute psychosis. My worst episode of psychosis drove me to terrifying suicidal and quite ashamedly, homocidal thoughts as well. I don't want to underestimate these given their very serious nature. It's just disillusioning to read so much venom towards this drug. Perhaps, I am just pro-medication but apart from very unpleasant side-effects for the first couple of years, my mood finally stabilised and I can honestly say that generally I am a happy individual. I have read though that using olanzapine can lead to cardiovascular disease and diabetes. I am too afraid though to come off this drug as I am terrified of the kind of psychosis I experienced returning. Does anybody out there have anything positive to say about using olanzapine or should I believe all the free-spirited conversations about this drug that dominate the Internet? I know I should discuss any changes to my medication with a psychiatrist but I am happy with my levels of creativity and function normally overall. I'm afraid to rock the boat. I don't think I could endure another depression post mania. I can't bear anxiety either so maybe I'm being cowardly or too drug compliant but fear of stepping back into acute phases of my illness are deterring me from risking everything in an attempt to take control of an illness that has plagued so much of my adulthood. Can anybody relate? I don't mind hearing from people either who have strong oppositions towards using this drug. 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey, am glad that the drug is keeping you stable, if all is good then I definatley would not be looking at altering it, the problem with antiosychotics is that they do carry seriously heavy side effects, but if theybsre manageable all good, me oersonally I was on aripirizole 7 years on off basis, I found that the medication works only sude effects can be a real battle , that is for me personally, the most challenging thing I face is that symtoms of my psychosis always seem to return after some time of bein if meds,, only this time I am nine months meds free n not psychotic, although do have symtoms,, that are a nuisance, another thing I found is that as time has gone on I have experienced symtoms I never had initially , and am not sure if its my illnesd or as a result of takin meds ,, so complicated,, its horrible having this psychosis, I cant live fully without meds n the meds taje away all my good qualities creative talkative ambitiious etc I feel sad about situation but do try make most of each day ! Sirry to sound so negative but on a pisitive note am glad your doing so well
  • Posted

I am also on 20mg Olanzapine. It has helped my psychosis a great deal. Although I still get symptoms wen really stressed and have put on a lot of weight I am scared to change as my suicidal episodes have decreased imensly. I hate the weight but part of that is bad dietary and alcohol. I don't have the motivation I used to have but that's because I rather sit in front of the TV and do nothing. I've been on most psychotics and I find for my disorder this is best. I need to look at my life style. End of.
    • Posted

I also found when changed to Olanzapine I became a couch potato. My motivation is very poor and I've dropped some activities I used to enjoy for lying in a darkened room watching the TV. Iv been on most anti psychotics and am at a dead end. I can't b put on clozeral or beta blockers. I'm asthmatic so beta blockers would kill me. And I'm not good enough at taking my medication and do on wen times are unbearable so clozeral is also out. Any suggestions most received.
  • Posted

Glad to hear that Olanzapine is working for you. I was recently put on it for Fibromyalgia and so far it has been working great for me too. Not very often that you hear the success stories for certain drugs so I find information on them tends to be skewed quite a bit. 
    • Posted

I was also put on Olanzapine due to my tachycardia unfortunately I've just come out of hospital because my pulse went sky high at 189ppm. I wasn't believed I was feeling this and was told my oxymetre was probably wrong. My psychiatric team just kept saying ring in if u feel poorly and they will talk to me. After calling in 3 times I decided to call my surgery to talk to a Dr. My GP happened to b duty Dr and also told me the same but said come to the surgery to check it out. He did my stats and was amazed at my high pulse rate so had a nurse do an ECG. That was abnormal my heart had gone into cit and he had rang for an ambulance as an emergency. I went to hospital on bus and siren. All very frightening. I was sorted out in resus and have to b referred to Cardiology. I guess what I'm trying to say is its not always anxiety which my psychiatric team has been keep saying. moral to my story if your really struggling with " anxiety " beware. You know best.if it needs treatment. I could have died.
  • Posted

Hi Mervyn

Are you still using olanzapine 20 m.g

How are you now?

I am using olanzapine 5 mg

• Posted

Noone, it's a 3 year old thread. People have to cope with this med, they come here in times of stress. I don't think mervyn is checking anymore.

• Posted

Hi mervyn  regarding olanzapine  I was put on this medication 10 years ago after being admitted to hospital with severe depression having  to have  6 sessions of electric shock treatment  I have been to a new doctor a few weeks ago  He doctor did not approve of this medication and looking into all the side effects it has badly caused my mobility problems and water retention with which I have to cathatize I also have become diabetic all side effects of this medication  I was on 5mg until a few weeks ago and the doctor prescribed me 2.5 mg for 2 weeks and then 2.5mg every other day  The withdrawal symptons have been horrendous  I have had panic attacks and had to call out the paramedics as I thought I was going to have a heart attack I would not advise anyone to take this drug.  I am feeling terrible anxiety  So sorry to be so negative  Could the doctor offer you another medication in place of Olanzapine  with much less side affects?  Hope all goes well with you  kind regards from Margaret
    • Posted

Hi Margaret

One website is suggesting 10% taper every 4 weeks.If you are still suffering ,re instate olanzapine,use 2,3 months then start tapering by 10% reduction of every current dose.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hello apu91247 thanks for your advice. for the last 4 weeks I have been taking 2.5mg per night reduced from 5mg I phoned he same practice for advice regarding withdrawlal symptoms told me to stop stop taking olanzapine and see what happens!!I feel I cannot do this  I am feeling terrible distress but want to come off this drug Since taking this drug I have become diabetic  Had septic shock and almost died and have had a stroke  I believe the is the result of Olanzapine I shall continue the 2,5mg for the next few months and review the situation I am not sure how to do the 10% reduction in tablet form?   Many thanks again from Margaret
    • Posted

Dear Margaret,

Do you have tablet cutter?If not buy online.cut the 2.5 mg pill 4 parts.take 3pieces which is approx 2 m.g ,take for a month.

Then start taking 2 pieces which is 1.25 m.g for a month ,then take 1 piece ,which is 0.625 mg for a month .Then stop taking and see for 1 month.you will be off olanzapine successfully.

Dont fear ,you will be off successfully.If any withdrawal occurs reinstate 1.25 m.g which is half of the 2.5 mg tablet and do taper again.

I am sorry olanzapine made your health problems.

• Posted

Hello mervn I have been taking 5mg of Olanzapine for over 10 years  I am now in the process of suing my doctors for medical for clinical negligence  Whilst taking this awful drug I have suffered a stroke, septic shock( which I nearly died,) loss of mobility and brain damage the result of the stroke. I am now physically and mentally disabled This drug is evil and the withdrawal symptons are horrendous  and I am trying to come off this drug At present I feel a mental and physical wreck.  Sorry to be so negative but it is the truth My symptons are all due to taking Olanzapine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.