Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia

Posted , 12 users are following.

At my age one normally visits bathroom 3-4 times. Though I stop all liquids before 6 PM still night visits to bath room are there. At one web site I read that one should control it as long as possible so that bladder gets used to longer intervals. I apprehend that it may do more harm than good if one put excessive pressure on the bladder. Any views/ experience about it?

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Urologist can measure bladder and do tests to find out what's going on. Could be your not emptying your bladder. That's what was happening to me. Had a few nights I was up every hour and a half. Pee a little, go back to bed. When doc did urodynamics test they filled my bladder up all the way. I could only pee out less than a third of it. Holding it til you have to pee bad can stretch your bladder from what I have read in here and been told. Don't rush into things. Find out what's causing the problem. Blockage, prostate, bladder muscles not working, etc. Could be a few things. Tests will tell more.

• Posted

In my experience, it's best not to hold on too long, as for me, the pressure of a full bladder makes retention more likely!

• Posted

I can see that in those circumstances you don't want to hold it in for long. My own circumstances are that age 50 post holep all is good, but I occasionally notice my frequency is creeping up and I will wake to pee after say 6 hours sleep then not get back to sleep as so close to morning. Leaving me tired - happened today and yesterday ! When this happens I have dropped to only voiding say 250ml instead of 450+, and I need to as I see it, "recalibrate" by holding on longer for a few days where convenient. If you ignore the mild feeling of needing to pee it often goes away and doesn't come back for ages. I can see that this is a bad idea for those at risk of retention or with high PVR. I believe mine empties more or less completely as pre holep, a hospital hand ultrasound scan during my acute prostatitis showed a PVR of 50 ml

• Posted

Another factor to consider is ankle swelling or edema. If your ankles swell during the day, by raising your legs in sleep, all that fluid can be mobilized and cause you to pee more through the night.
  • Posted

"At my age"  How old are you?  Just to put another approach in:  due to BPH my pee-ability is totally shut down.   I do CIC (Self-cathing) each and every time.  I cath just before bedtime, and only get up during the night to pee 6–9 nights each month!  The rest of the time... I sleep through the night.  I'm almost 68.

• Posted

Hi cartoon,

" only get up during the night to pee 6–9 nights each month! "

Did you mean:

" only get up during the night to cath 6–9 nights each month! " ?

What is your typical volume in morning ?

Hank

• Posted

What you suggest is much more likely to cause serious problems than fix them. When bladders get stretched due to retention, they can lose their elasticity permanently and that can put you into unfixable retention.

The suggestion to get checked is a good one. They use a protable ultrasound to measure you and it takes about 5 seconds. If you're NOT in retention, you might be able to train yourself a bit. But most likely, you have BPH issues which can be treated. If you're off fluids after 6 and are still going multiple times/night, you would do well to have a full workup from a Urologist to see what's going on.

• Posted

I did both. Had it measured in office and went to imaging department at hospital for ultrasound of bladder, kidneys, etc. Didn't take long at all. Pretty simple. Then they knew if I had any blockage or stones stuck anywhere.

• Posted

I agree with you that one should not stretch the bladder as it may cause more harm than good. I having occassionally been seeing the Urologists who did prescribe medicines one after the other but as he said all their medicines are risky for Glaucoma patients like me as these tend to increase the eye pressure. Thus I did not find it proper to take this risk.Anyway I think I have to live with this problem of visiting bathroom at night 4 times or so as here-to-fore.
  • Posted

If I take 3 200mg ibuprofen before bed I can get through the whole night. Works during the day too.
    • Posted

Do you do that on a regular basis? I was under the impression that there might be issues with doing that.

Rich

• Posted

It's not considered a high dose. Some people can't take ibuprofen because they are prone to bleeding but if you are healthy enough to take it it is fine. It can also effect blood pressure so I would watch that. I take it every other night. If I'm going to a ball game or a movie I take it before to limit bathroom breaks.

• Posted

Ibuprofen isn't too good if you have issues with kidneys though, and a lot of us who have urinary issues also have some kidney disease, as I have, as a result, probably, of strain caused by multiple UTIs.

• Posted

PK,

I hope you do not have any retention issues because ibuprofen before bedtime can make it worse and in the process stretch the bladder making it even worse down the road.

Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.