Best bread for type 2 Diabetes

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello Can anyone say which bread does not spike the blood sugar.  I shop at my local supermarket.  I cannot find a list which actually tells you makes and types and the GI.  This is for my husband who is not only trying to cut down but change to one which does not spike blood sugar.  He has been eating wholemeal around 4 slices a day.  He has cut this to 2 a day.  I did think maybe granary but he complains it gets stuck in his dentures.    

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry Libralady -  all bread will spike blood sugar.  Wholemeal will be slower than white but they are all carbs and  the end result is the same - low GI or high GI. 

• Posted

Thanks for you reply.  Advice on diet has really changed since 1974 when my son aged 2 was diagnosed with type 1.  I did realise that there is a difference of opinion on carbohydrate within the medical profession and that many people have given it up.  My husband is today finishing a course of steroids for a flare up of his asthma/copd so this has not helped the blood sugar readings.  I cannot see him doing with out bread apart from cutting down.  Can you tell me what you eat instead thanks.
  • Posted

I use gluten free bread for my mom.  I’ve read that glutenfree diet is helpful for diabetes

I prefer the rice based breads, as corn and sometimes even quinoa are more likely to cause crossreactivity and immune system flairs.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I have heard that gluten free breads are not very nice not to mention expensive.  What are rice based breads please?
    • Posted

I would agree that gluten free breads are not very nice - I have tried them as I have a friend who has coeliac disease.  Never heard of rice based breads and have never seen them in the supermarket - I wonder if they are an American thing?  However if they are rice based they still have carbohydrate in them so not sure of the advantage
  • Posted

All carbohydrates cause a spike in blood sugars not just bread but also rice pasta and potatoes, for example. As far as I know there are no low GI breads. This is why I have virtually given bread up, I have one roll per week with a bowl of home made veg soup.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.  I thought that everyone would say that.  I wonder why then the medical profession does not seem to agree.  My son was diagnosed with type 1 in 1974 aged 2 and I know things were very different then with diet not to mention glass syringes until disposable ones came in.  Can you tell me what you eat instead if he should not eat bread,potatoes,pasta or rice.  My husband is 72 and has other health problems and it is only of late that after trying for ages to get him better controlled that he is listening.  I can't see him going without carbohydrates.

• Posted

Actually I have not given up carbohydrates altogether (although I know some diabetics do).  If I have bread it is a granary type ie seeded.  I have brown rice and whole grain pasta, and if I have potatoes I have fewer than I used to.  I really enjoy my food and I know that if I gave up carbohydrates I just would not enjoy my food as much. I am 70 and like your husband I have quite a number of other health problems.  Do you check his blood sugars regularly? Is he on tablets or insulin? I am on insulin and have to check blood sugars 4 times per day. It is because of that that I have been able to work out what carbohydrates and which I can't and so my blood sugars are very well controlled - even my diabetic nurse is very impressed!!. If you want to communicate some more I can private message you, or give you my email address if you do not want everything to be on a public forum

• Posted

Thank you.  I have suggested small portions of granary bread but my husband says although he does not mind it it gets stuck in his dentures.  Maybe he would try again.  He will eat small portions of rice but white usually so will have to try brown.  Pasta he is not so keen on but I have [post whle grain and ordinary for the grandchildren.  I has taken me ages to get him to test his blood sugar as he kept getting told by various GP's it is not necessary.  I said but how do you know which foods spike and which are ok so eventually he did manage to get a monitor from his gp previously I bought one but he hardly used it.  As I mentioned he has finished a course of steroids this morning so his blood sugar has been up.  Hopefully it will go down now. The gp did not tell him I looked it up on line.  Can you suggest any recipes I could try for him.  Unfortunately he is very set in his ways and that goes for food as well.  If I made a shepherds pie I assume sweet potatoes would be a better topping.  You can private message me if you like with this.  I have IBS and have been trying to follow a lowfod map diet so some foods have been off the menu for me as well but just about to reintroduce foods one by one to see how I react.  

• Posted

I will have a think about specific recipes and get back to you by PM. It is helpful to use sweet potatoes instead of ordinary potatoes on shepherds pie.  I have found in general to up the vegetable and protein intake whilst reducing carbohydrates is very helpful. I also do not eat confectionery or cakes, and only rarely pastries. I never have sugary drinks. I also avoid as much as possible ready made meals, takeaways  or going out as I find all affect my blood sugars quite badly. Fortunately, both my husband any myself enjoy cooking!!

Yes, blood sugars should go down when your husband goes off the steroids. One of my big problems with controlling diabetes is that I am permanently on steroids because of a severe version of an uncommon eye condition called uveitis which in my case is recurrent.

• Posted

Thank you Gill that is very good of you and I look forward to seeing the recipes.  You have my sympathy regarding eye problems.  I don't have uveitis but have heard of it.  I have been told by well known eye hospital that I am a steroid responder as following 2 catatact surgeries my eye pressures soared as they give you steroids afterwards so I needed glaucoma eye drops.  I also have blepharitis/dry eyes which can be a pain and needs regular looking after.  To top it all I now have glaucoma in one eye and quite expect one day to be told I need glaucoma drops for the other eye.  I also suffer from Rhinitis and really need steroid nasal spray but can't as it send the pressures up.  Better rhinitis then worse glaucoma. Eye problems are not nice at all and we all value our sight.  

• Posted

Hi,

Heart Of Nature Pure Grain Bread, per 100 grams carbohydrate is 24.80 gr., sugars 0.50 gr, fat is 16.60 gr. I slice it and freeze it. I eat half a slice toasted once or twice a week. Contains no added sugar and it is full of seeds and grains, very tasty. You can buy it from Waitrose. Better get your husband used to not eating bread or very rarely. Four slices a day is a lot of carbs for a diabetic. Oat gluten free cakes can be eaten, but just two or three in one sitting. You must count the carbs.

I do not eat rice, pasta, potatoes....I have soya bean pasta, quinoa, lentils and beans and lots of greens. Small portions of carbs.

• Posted

People with diabetes should eat bread in moderation, sometimes it can be easy to be taken. Bread is after all one of the most popular foods in the world. Just because you have diabetes does not mean you have to lose all the great bread that life has to offer. To eat bread, if you have diabetes, there are a few things you need to know before eat bread. Some of the best breads for the type 2 Diabetes are followings:

Grain free bread.

Spelt bread.

Sourdough bread

Pumpernickel

• Posted

Why grain free bread? I find that bread with grains in is one of the best for not affecting my blood sugars, and my husband makes it.  The recipe from dani8979 has grains in so she also find the same.
    • Posted

I cannot agree with you Sharlena, all bread made from grains of whichever sort will turn to glucose in the blood thereby spiking your numbers. it's basic biology, be it spelt, pumpernickel, sour dough etc. they are all grains.  If you are diabetic ALL of them will spike your blood glucose.

The NHS on their derisory Eatwell Plate tell you to eat plenty of starchy food and look where it has got the nation- Obese and a Type 2 epidemic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.