Best bread for type 2 Diabetes

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello Can anyone say which bread does not spike the blood sugar.  I shop at my local supermarket.  I cannot find a list which actually tells you makes and types and the GI.  This is for my husband who is not only trying to cut down but change to one which does not spike blood sugar.  He has been eating wholemeal around 4 slices a day.  He has cut this to 2 a day.  I did think maybe granary but he complains it gets stuck in his dentures.    

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all,

I have this recipe for bread, gluten free, low carb, easy to freeze, delicious toasted...it is so good!

Rustic Paleo Bread With Seeds

Here it goes,

You will need : 150 gr almond flour

80 gr chia seeds

70 gr sesame seeds

140 gr pumpkin seeds

140 gr sunflower seeds

5 eggs

2 tbsp olive oil

1 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 170 Celsius/340 Fahrenheit . Place almond flour and eggs in a food proccessor and mix. Add the rest of the ingredients blitz briefly, you want to keep a decent crunch. Form your dough into a loaf, place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Bake 45-50 min or until brown on top. Cool completely before cutting.

One slice weighed just over 40 gr...it has a very dense texture. Fat 12.7 gr, Carbohydrate 7.3 gr.

I slice it thinly and freeze it....eat a little at the time. Lovely for breakfast and lunch.

• Posted

Thank you everyone who replied to me regarding Bread for Diabetics.  It seems the argument goes on about types of Bread and whether or not a Diabetic type 2 diet should be very low carbohydrate or no carbohydrate.  I thought that bread with seeds and granary bread would be better and raise the BS more slowly, however my husband won't eat it saying it gets stuck in his dentures.  Hr is adamant that he needs carbohydrate as the gp has told him so.  It is not helped by seeing our son grow up with Diabetes type 1 in the 70's when the diet then which was all exchanges of carbodydrate.  I will keep trying to encourage him but I can only do so much and if he is not prepared to at least try then so be it.  I have enough health problems myself so need to look after myself.  Thanks everyone and best wishes to you all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.