Best lotion for extremely dry skin

Posted , 13 users are following.

My skin is so dry it flakes off, especially my lower arm and leg areas, looks similar to the results of a milder sun burn. I need a brand name of a good moisturstering lotion. Help!!! I live in Northeast Pa USA ..

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Impruv.  Contains shea butter, which may be why it works so well.  You can get plain shea butter from the pharmacy.  Also h*** oil.  Sorry, that word gets censored all the time.  These are all available in Canada so I assume US as well.
    • Posted

Sorry, not clear, the unmentionable oil is a separate suggestion!  I found when I had some skin problems a while ago and Lubriderm didn't help, but Impruv and h*** oil actually healed me.  

• Posted

Is the h**** oil you mentioined 'Jojoba Oil?  If not, can you spell it for me?

• Posted

No.  Because this medicinal herb is illegal (in some places even the components that have no psychoactive effects) I've found whenever it's mentioned on this forum the post gets deleted.  Another name for this plant begins with the letter c.

• Posted

I have the same problem & now use coconut oil every night. I find it really makes a difference. Hope you find the same. Best wishes. 

• Posted

I mentioned recently in a discussion I started that after 3 years on Pred I had developed a rash on one leg in particular with accompanying red spots on the other leg and both arms.  This rash is getting much worse and is very itchy.  My doctor gave me a mild Cortisone cream to apply for 2 weeks only and that time is now up and the itchiness is back and the rash is getting worse.  There have been several suggestions here as to oils or creams to apply.  Could a few of you give me your thoughts on what I should use as this rash is becoming real problematic.  My doctor suggests it is a sign of the liver having trouble removing the toxins from the Pred and the toxins are trying to exit the body through the skin!
    • Posted

I'm really not sure I'd agree with your doctor (it sounds a patronising way of putting off the patient asking questions to me)  - and I would be keen to see a dermatologist or rheumatologist very experienced in vasculitis I think. And if he REALLY thinks it is due to the liver I'd want to be having liver tests and possibly see someone who knows about liver problems!

It's going to drive me up the wall - but I saw a description that matches that recently with a possible diagnosis and I neither know where or what it was now! Except I think it did involve vasculitis.

• Posted

Eileen, thanks for your comments on my concern.  I'll follow up here with my physician.

• Posted

Double Base cream is the answer.  Use it exactly as on the label.  Don't use soap, shower gels or anything else.  I was prescribed this when a friend told me about it.   I still use it although I have now been in remission for nearly six years - I had GCA.

Cuts use Manuak Honey Cream, expensive but you need so little of it.

• Posted

Unfortunately DoubleBase doesn't appear to be available in the US except from Amazon UK and the delivery is extortionate! I've looked all over the place...

• Posted

Eileen, I got double base from the US amazon site.

Karen in NJ

• Posted

That's good - it was the cost of delivery that was boggling! But I suppose if you have Prime (or whatever it's called) that doesn't apply?

• Posted

Eileen

I have emailed the manufacturers to see why it is not sold in the USA or if it is, is it under a different name.   It is made in the UK Diomed.

• Posted

I don't have prime but sometimes ordering over a certain dollar amt. gives free shipping.

• Posted

According to google the active ingredients in this product are isopropyl myristate and liquid paraffin, if that's any help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.