best pain relief

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was diagnosed by ultrasound with multiple gallstones 6mths ago. Decided on referal 3 1/2mths gone and not heard a thing till after a really bad attack last night, I rung hospital today. Apparently they somehow put thier letter to me inside my file instead of sending it to me !. Thats our wonderful NHS for you. anyway I've got appt to see consultant in two weeks and I'm shaking with nerves at the propect of surgery.

Meanwhile I see from some posts that Codeine is not a good analgesic for gallbladder pain. As i have taken Co-codamol with varying effect, can anyone advse what drug is best.

Thank you.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi you don't know me not posted on this board before but just to say they have diagnosed me with sphincter of the oddi dysfunction reckons there's nothing they can do, thought pisces 1 being as you worked for the NHS for 40 years don't know what as exactly you or anyone may be able to offer advice on pain relief as narcotics are meant to be bad for it. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
  • Posted

I've heard that Glyceryl Trinitrate (Nitrolingual) spray is useful for SOD, maybe that'll help you smile
  • Posted

Piscies - wish you all the good luck for June!!

I also waited over 4 months for the op - like you was petrified - have written a few notes on here in the past about how much i was wanting the op but also not wanting the op as so scared in the run up!!

Now you have got the date keep focused and stay positive how much this op will benefit your way of life. For so long my life was on hold with gallbladder attacks, no family meals, nights out and periods of staying in bed in awful pain or worse dosed up on painkillers feeling awful. if this is like you keep rembembering the end result your life will be back on track!! stay positive!!

I can honestly say it has been the best thing i have ever done and as nerve wracking as it is going into that hospital on the day (I cried in the carpark! and wanted to run out the hosp once i was all ready to go down to surgery!) keep remembering how awful that pain is when gallbladder starts - nothing can be worse than that.I had a great team of about 6 looking after me going down to surgery all of who do these ops all week every week - gallbladder ops are one of the most common ops people are brought in for. the anethisist came to see me before surgery as did the surgeon and they know what there doing as i say they do it every day. they have all the neccessary equipment in front of them and after couple hours you will be gallbladder free. i had a weeks rest in bed made the most of it!! with mild painkillers. but no pain as worse as the actual attacks.

Good luck piscies will all be worth the worry once done - and please feel free to ask any questions theres plenty of us on here that have been in your shoes

smile

• Posted

Hi

Thanks very much for your comments. It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one to feel so scared about my op. I went for the repeat swabs yesterday and the minute I went in the hospital I nearly had a full blown panic attack. I don't know why I feel like it, I'm well used to hospitals. It's the loss of being in control I think. Ah well the next 2 weeks will pass in a flash and when its over I'll update you on how it went.

• Posted

Good luck Pisces1

I started gallbladder pain in October 2010 and have had a few bouts in hospital since then and an ERCP in December. I had pre-op first week of January and had it repeated last week as it had run out - got my op on 6th June (finally)

I'm definitely feeling as apprehensive as you are but know I need to get rid of this thing cos I'm fed up of feeling ill or being in pain.

Would have posted on here sooner but somehow my account never got set up but thanks to everyone who posts on here as it's been a very helpful resource and made me feel better :-)

• Posted

Hi happyalien

Thanks for your wishes. I shall think of you on the 6th and wish you the best for your op. I'm sure it'll be fine and be over before you know it. Do post and let us know how it all goes.

Good luck

• Posted

Well had my gallbladder out yesterday - good riddance.

Whole thing was fine and they did it keyhole so just 4 small stickers on my stomach at the moment. Didn't need to stay in overnight.

I do feel like I've been hit by a bus, everything aches and I'm still really sleepy but that'll pass soon.

I was pretty nervous about surgery and general anaesthetic but everyone was so nice in the hospital and I don't remember a thing until I woke up in the recovery ward where I got given the world's greatest painkillers (made me feel like I was being hugged in a giant duvet)

Waiting on a visit from a district nurse today who will check my very small wounds and sort out when they're changing dressings etc so it's a pretty well organised and hassle free process on my part.

Still not really felt like eating anything, got a really dry mouth (apparently an after effect of anaesthetic) so just drinking lots of tea and water.

So at the moment it's all going well and a few days of aches and pains is nothing compared to the agony I'd get when my now deceased gallbladder used to kick off so looking forward to eating bread without fear of gallbladder reprisals in the future :-)

• Posted

Happyalien

Really pleased for you that its all over and it sounds as though it went well. Gives me a wee bit of confidence, my turn next Mon. I shall be glad when its over. Take things easy even tho you may feel fine, it is still a major op. Let us know how things progress

Take care

• Posted

Good to hear smile The worst pain I had after the op was nearly knocking my block off on the car door frame whilst trying to fall into the passenger seat in the hospitals car park, it really gave me a clatter :lol:
  • Posted

Good luck for your op on Monday Pisces1 - you'll be fine :-)
  • Posted

Hi.

Well my GB has finally gone. The hospital was very clean and the staff very professional tho the anaesthetist was quite curt which didn't help my nerves. Was in a lot of pain when I came round but 2 shots of a pain killer soon settled that. Back in ward at 1pm , home by 5!!!!! Didn't see a doctor post op & no follow up.!

Had a lot of pain in umbilical incision. Have been as mobile as I can be, but wonder if I've done too much. I'm 66yrs old but thought I'd be back to normal by now.

Even so I am just so glad its all done and I'm looking forward to getting on with my life.

Thks for your support, It really helped.

• Posted

You survived then :D Take it easy for the next week or so smile
  • Posted

Thks Dr Spock. Can anyone just tell me if its normal to still be getting pain on movement a week after having this op done.? Although I'm feeling much better in myself, I still have a fair bit of pain (umbilicus) when I move and I'm still having to take pain relief. I have got a massive bruise beneath this wound. I don't want to contact GP if what I'm experiencing is normal.
  • Posted

As the bruise changes colour the pain should recede but see your GP and get the thing checked out anyway smile
  • Posted

17 days since my gallbladder was taken out and whilst I know my body has to adjust to living without it I'm still not feeling great.

Doing things just makes me very tired. I'm trying to get out and walk a bit and do things so I don't get myself into a pattern of not doing anything at all but I'm still getting almost wiped out by doing anything.

I'm probably just a little annoyed with myself as I wanted to feel better by now.

Anyone else taken a bit of time to get over it? I'm due back in work next week but I don't think I'll be making it in just yet - which also annoys me as other people in work who had gallbladder ops were back after 2 and a half weeks.......sorry to moan about it, I suppose it could be a lot worse I'm just fed up :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.