Best stool softener available in the UK please

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hoping someone can recommend one that works please

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Laxido/Movicol/Macrogel - all the same ingredients, just different brands, you need to take one a day every single day to keep things soft, and drink plenty of water. This stool softener absorbs fluid from your tissues and you need to drink a lot to even the balance. It's let my fissure heal up, was recomended by the colo rectal surgeon. Wish Id know about it years ago.

• Posted

How are you today ? 

I swear by Movicol / senna fissure wouldn’t have healed if not for them - guess everyone different - but they are my life saver 👍

• Posted

Good morning Natasha

So far so painful !

My GP will be ringing me before surgery this afternoon so by the end of the day I should have the movicol

Any idea what time of day to take ....my bowel movements are in the morning

Many thanks

• Posted

I’ve tried everything to tame myself to poop at night but don’t work - I drink one in morning and one around 2 I poop in morning 

If you find pooping to much try 1 and a half - you can mix the both in the water stared leave on fridge and drink throughout day 

I was prescribed zapain 30/500 I took one and one paracetamol - drs don’t like too prescribed as it’s opiods and can hung us up but one pre poop is fine for me 

Lots of veggies ! 

I’m at work if you wondering late reply ! 

Thoughts are with you - it does get better ! 

• Posted

Thanks Natasha...esp for reponding when you 're in work

I've got some codeine but have avoided as they're a constipater bit might give them a go when things are really bad

My problem being vegan is my diet is massively high fibre and before the fissure 3 bms a day was normal for me ...now my bowel seems really sensitive and it's 3 to 5 times a day

I'm not constipated but every time it's hell....and for hours afterwards which is why I'm hoping the softener helps

It's so weird discussing my bum with some one I haven't even met but its far too personal to discuss with most people I know...and the incontinence is a definite no no

It's really helped me not feeling so isolated ...thank you

I am so fortunate to have an amazingly supportive husband but I am trying to retain SOME dignity !!

• Posted

Stool softeners never really worked for me,  but 1/2 cup of canned pumpkin or pumpkin pie filling works like a charm! Some dog owners even give it to their constipated dogs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.