Best time to take Citalopram?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone

Interested to find out experiences of the best time to take cit? For the last 7 weeks, I've taken 20mg tablet after breakfast each morning. The last week I've found the morning anxiety almost unbearable and wonder whether I should take it at night instead?

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My anxiety is worse in the morning as well. I am taking it around 7:30 am. I wonder if i take it at 6:00 am if that would help. 

I tired it at night, but then I couldn't sleep. That was several weeks ago though. 

• Posted

Hi Sissy

I've recently started to sleep better after 2-3 months relying on sleeping tablets. If I change to taking cit in the evening, I worry that my sleep pattern will worsen. I'm now getting anxious about the best time to take my meds! The morning anxiety, from what I've read from others on this site, is the last thing to go. Fingers crossed. I've recently moved to cit after 10 years on venlafaxine. I cant remember any such side effects taking them.

• Posted

I was on Venlafaxine as well for 18 months and it really never did anything to help my anxiety. When I would try to increase the dose, I had all kinds of bad reactions that landed me in the hospital. 

I am glad to see you are sleeping better. Mine is still not great, which may be adding to my morning anxiety. I take 50 mg of Tazodone to sleep. I am also on .25 mg of Xanax a day and really want to start weaning off it as soon as I get stable on the Cit. I was on 10 mg for 1 month and now 3 1/2 weeks on 20 mg. I assume I still need to give it more time. 

• Posted

Time seems to be key. Keep telling myself this week is a blip and that taking cit will help with anxiety. I stopped venlafaxine because my psychiatrist felt it wasn't helping with the anxiety.
    • Posted

I re-read you original post....so the morning anxiety is a more recent thing for you (or a re-appearance). Has anything changed that you can think of...taking a new supplement, drinking more caffiene or alcohol, more stress at home or at work? I hope you get past it soon. 

For me, my worse anxiety is in the morning and then if I have any during the day, it is at a much lower level. I hope it just continues to fade over the next few weeks. 

• Posted

Hi Sissy

Definitely a new thing. I don't drink caffeine or alcohol so at a loss to find a trigger. I don't take any other meds or supplements. I've been exercising more recently and getting to sleep OK. Hopefully just a blip and it'll pass soon

• Posted

I hope so! Anxiety is a strange animal! 
    • Posted

I have been on citalopram since January 6. It took a little over 8 weeks for the side effects to go away. I can now sleep6-8 hours without taking anything and don't wake up with knots in my stomach or nausea. It was a great feeling when I woke up after a good night's sleep and feeling normal again. Just know it can take longer for some of us. It was hard to be patient but,my husband was the one that kept me going or I would have quit.
    • Posted

Sue,

It is great you are doing so well. I am starting to see more and more windows of my "normal" I mainly have just a low level uneasiness/edginess right now. I hope it keeps fading away over the next week or so. I have been on Cit. for about 8 weeks....four at 10 mg. and four at 20 mg. 

I I find if I take my Cit. when I first wake up, then by the time I get up and around I don't seem to be plagued by as much morning anxiety. 

• Posted

HI Sissy,

I think I spoke too soon. Friday night went out to eat seafood and woke up during the night with nausea and diarrhea. I woke up early this morning with the nausea and knots in my stomach again. Is this what they call a blip and do you know how long it will last before evens back out. I was so happy when I woke up feeling good. I want to feel normal again, it felt so good. If anyone else has an answer please post for some encouragement.

Thank you,

Sue

• Posted

MOST likely it was the seafood that made you sick.

• Posted

Sue, I wish I knew. I am still a long ways from being leveled out. I just finished 4 weeks on 20 mg after being on 10 mg for a month.

I hope it settles in soon. Does anyone have any encouraging words?

Sissy

• Posted

I increased from 20-30 2.5wks ago. Felt better after a wk for w couple days then anxiety n tiredness came back. Anxiety went but as we're moving house tomoro my stress has increased and I have nausea and diarrhea. I think that's from the stress not the Meds as I feel like I've so much to do. I take mine at night seems to work better for me.
    • Posted

The seafood did make me sick, but that was Friday night and this morning was when I woke up with the knots in my stomach and nausea like I had 3 weeks ago. Have been doing good for 2/12 weeks and don't understand why I'm starting to have these symptoms again. I thought when I started feeling better I was over the side effects. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • Posted

Hi Dan74

when i took my med at night i couldn;t sleep

started taking it in the morning, found it very difficult to wake and get started in the morning

now i take it about 8 hours before i go to bed, seems to be the answer for me.

i'm on 20mg probably about 10 weeks now and today i've managed to get up go to 3 different appointments and feel fine. a few weeks ago one appointment made me anxious, just keeps getting better for me, hope it will for you as well

• Posted

Thanks icejan. Glad things are moving in the right direction for you.

I'm going to take tablet a little later in the morning to see if it helps relieve the intense anxiety and sheer panic when I wake. This has only occurred in the last week. Previous 6 weeks on Citalopram were going well. Sleep was improving, negative thoughts were few and far between and I enjoyed being around others and playing sports. The last week has been sheer hell.. Very little sleep, constant fear and panic leading to periods of deep depression. Almost feel like I can't carry on but I know I could never harm myself. Just want to get better and start enjoying life again.

Before Citalopram I took Venladaxine for depression. Psychiatrist suggested changing meds so I could get a handle on anxiety. If so, I wouldn't fourfold down end become depressed. Can honestly say I've never felt as bad as I do now... Depersonalised, very confused, can't focus, unable to help at home without becoming tearful. Scared my 2 year old don will remember when his Dad was ill... Things will get better, I just wish I could be more patient!

• Posted

Dan

It's a long road I'm on week 14 now and just started to feels bit better I mean a bit only for the last 3 days but this as happened before and I've ended going backwards these meds are so weird 1 minute you can feel ok then the next boom It all comes back my main problem as been intrusive/negative thoughts we need to be patient and give the meds time to do their job I know it's hard when your feeling down but just keep telling yourself it takes time a long time for some of us but we WILL get there 😃

• Posted

Hi Dan

hope talking the meds later works for you. You mentioned u see a psy dr do u find the advice he gives helpful. It may be possible for you to see someone else as well, or do a mindfulness training. At 2 Years old I don't think your Son will remember these times too well. Just get better so you can take him out and have fun with him.  

• Posted

Thanks icejan. I'm currently seeing a CBT therapist alongside psychiatrist. I've also been attending mindfulness class for 18 months. Talking about my issues with professional people is easy but when my sleep starts to go, like it has the past week, things start to spiral. I find it hard to be mindful when my mind and body are so tired as the invasive, negative thoughts become too much. Slept interrupted for 4 hours last night and feel better today than yesterday. Time to go out and enjoy the sunshine! Have a nice day
    • Posted

thanks for letting me know how stuff is going on. seems u have the right help and a good positive mind U wil get there. enjoy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.