Best time to take Citalopram?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone

Interested to find out experiences of the best time to take cit? For the last 7 weeks, I've taken 20mg tablet after breakfast each morning. The last week I've found the morning anxiety almost unbearable and wonder whether I should take it at night instead?

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Dan, I have been on citalopram for nearly 2 months and have always taken it in the middle of the day. It is probably different for everyone, so you might just have to find the best time for you. Maybe if you adjust it by an hour every few days rather than going straight to a much later time?
  • Posted

I could never remember to take pills in morning as I also take thyroxine which has to be in an empty tum. So I decided to take at night before bed. Done this for yrs and Never had a problem. Recently went 20-30 and my sister said change to mornings cos works better. However then I started waking early and not getting back to sleep so felt anxious. Also very tired during the day. I've just changed back to night again two days ago so c if it makes a difference. My doc said doesn't matter when as long as same time each day's and it works for u. They can cause either insomnia or sleepiness.
    • Posted

Hi Claire,

I wonder how many of us are talking thyroxine along with ciltopram, I thinking maybe a connection with depressief and thyroxine probs. 

I take ciltopram around 3pm this works best for me I sleep well and wake around 7.30am. Took me a while to find this out but works for me.

how long have u been taling ciltopram ? Do you find they work for you, I didnt realise people took it fir years , I hoping to stop after 6 months

• Posted

I think it's been about 7yrs. Each time I've tried to taper off I've felt worse. Yea maybe there is a correlation I've been on thyroxine though for 12yrs. I'm just sick of waking at 5ish every morn cos I used to sleep 9.30-7ish. Maybe my body is In a habit now not sure how to break it. Everyone tells me I need to ride it out until things settle down and I should go back to normal fr me.
    • Posted

Also did u find any side effects when u were changing the time u took the pill?
    • Posted

i changed it slowly. wen i took it in the evening i took it  2 Hours earlier and the next day 2 Hours earlier till i reached morning,wen i changed to the afternoon i did the same thing, no i didnt have any Side effects, but i now have a normal sleep routine and feel waakte in the morning instead of dopey and staring intl space. ive been on thyroxine for about 20 Years. this Sint my first depression but the first time ive taken meds for it.  hope things get better Claire 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.