Best type of mattress to sleep on

Posted , 17 users are following.

I was wondering what type of mattress PMR patients find most helpful. Because of all my aches, pains and lower back issues I always thought that a very firm mattress would be most helpful and that is what I have been using att home for years.

This past week I had to travel and slept in a hotel with a much softer mattress. I'll call it "medium soft". Low and behold when I got up in the morning I was less achy and stiff. Just did it for one night so don't know if it was just coincidence or a direct affect.

However, it got me wondering what type of mattress many of you have found to be most beneficial....soft, medium, firm or extra firm ?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello scotth, I don't know anything about mattresses and I also don't suffer from back pain or aches and pains however, we have had a memory foam mattress for 2 years now and it is by far the best mattress I have ever slepted on. Regards, tina

• Posted

Before I was diagnosed with PMR, I was having really bad nights and I put it down to the mattress,!The mattress was semi firm but reasonably new!

Rather than purchasing a new one I purchased a memory foam bed topper.

It certainly helped with the aches and pains. I also wear silky pyjamas which helps me slide into position rather than feeling like I am attached to a price of velcro!

• Posted

I should have disclosed that I was diagnosed with PMR around 3 months ago and I am being treated with Prednisone.

I have slept on a very high quality memory foam mattress for many years now thinking that it was the "best" mattress available for anyone with any type of musculoskeletal or joint problem.

I now question that assumption and am looking for what others might have experienced.

Thanks

• Posted

Before  you buy a new mattress, try a Duvet Sandwich - if that does not help, try Easy or Slippery sheets.
    • Posted

I have never heard of Duvet Sandwich style of sleeping. Does it just keep you all snug like a baby. I move a lot during the night, especially when I first lay down. I also have hot flashes which keep me throwing my sheet and blanket off, then I get cool and pull them back on. Hard to get a good night sleep. I do have a memory foam mattress and love it.
    • Posted

If you have two 5tog duvets you should be OK.  But in your case I would really get Easy (slippery or slither) sheets.  They are brilliant.  I have them and although I am now in remission, I would never go back to ordinary sheets.
  • Posted

I have been suffering with PMR since Nov 2015 and before I started on Prednisolone the pain was awful, my mobility was non existent.In bed I could only lay on my back to sleep with a pillow under my knees to releave the pain in my legs.

Since starting the meds it has gradually improved but it is a very slow process for me. I can now sleep on my side and be able to move but the pain is still there.

I find it is the meds that are working yet a memory foam mattress does help.

• Posted

Hi,I have a medium mattress but found the addition of a 7.5cms memory foam mattress has made a world of difference especially as my tossing and turning kept waking my husbsnd (this is no longer a problem as I do not even feel him getting in and out of bed-wish I had got one year's ago)

• Posted

We bought a new mattress 3 months after I started  PMR as advertised on TV, medium.. and it moulds itself to the body to a certain extent.  It is the most comfortable one we have ever had and really helped the back ache  I was suffering from at the time. Dropping pred very slowly has got rid of the pain now..
  • Posted

I tried a firm mattress and I had to return it.  It was painful to move and turn over.

I now have an adjustable bed with a medium soft mattress which I like very much.

• Posted

In addition to my GCA and PMR I have a scoliosis since childhood. The docs always suggested a firm mattress and I was always uncomfortable. A number of years back I added a memory foam topper to my mattress and that helped. Now my husband and I happily sleep on an adjustable air mattress. It's a king size bed so we each have our own inner air mattress with the ability to adjust the firmness as we like. It all zips into an attractive quilted cover with a removable pillow top. You can't feel the division between the two inserts or the fact that it's not a "normal" bed when you sit on the edge.

• Posted

We made a very expensive mistake based on an experience like yours Scotth. We slept on memory foam for a few nights in a hotel, came home and went straight out next day to try and buy. We ended up buying  all singing and dancing linked adjustable beds with memory foam mattresses in different firmness ratings from the company who originally developed them. Although comfortable in comparison to our previous old lumpy thing, over time I found turning over was a challenge and then I found I was also getting very hot. I tried slippy nightwear but that made things worse as they were made from synthetic materials.. My husband has fibro, and he runs cold most of the time, so he was quite happy I thought. It was only months later he mentioned how painful he found it to turn in the night. By now we're out of the 90 day money back trial. Loathe to just throw away all that money and perhaps make similar mistakes all over again I started researching. We knew we liked the adjustable bases as they are great for alleviating discomfort so no more pillows between knees etc and reading in bed is so comfy but this restricted our choice of mattress material. It was while chatting with my cousin who lives in the US that she mentioned they had issues with memory foam in that her husband had developed severe allergies to it and they had changed to organic latex. My experience of latex as a child was not good. It was hard to sleep on and pillows went lumpy very quickly. There seemed to be only two suppliers in the UK. After visiting the supplier several times to try out over and over, we eventually went for a trial on an organic latex with support zones and cotton covers and have never looked back. Very supportive without being hard, no hot sweats any more, turning over in bed is easy.. we are both very pleased. But choosing a mattress is as individual as choosing shoes. There's no one fit suits all. 

• Posted

Great question Scott!

I've found that the mattress makes a huge difference to my sleep. We bought a 'medium' mattress a few years back - I wanted a soft one and Mr Flip wanted a hard one - so we both lost... compromise just doesn't work with mattresses!

We inherited my parents' "hospital" beds - adjustable singles, which have reasonably soft mattresses. We tried them out for a year or so. In loved that I could adjust the angle at which I sleep so when my hips hurt I can move positions without having to get up. I'm going to ask Mr Flip if we can put them back in our bedroom. The reason I swapped back to a regular Queen size bed is that I missed the cuddles!

We also have a rather large and luxurious caravan with a queen sized bed - the mattress is quite firm and I struggle to sleep for the first week or so. A mattress topper hasn't helped a great deal. I don't think there's a lot I can do about this one though.

• Posted

My stepmother and her last husband had these hospital beds so they could both adjust as they liked, but until he got very ill with congestive heart failure they pushed them together for the cuddles!
    • Posted

We had them pushed together too, with a king sized doona on top.... but there's still a ridge and gap in the middle...I like the sound of the bed Jan SP describes above.

• Posted

My cousin bought a sleep # air bed and had problems with the gap. We found another company (from Colorado) and ordered it online. It has a sling support system. It's not inexpensive but cheaper than the sleep #. We saved $100 by buying only one control which controls both sides with a digital readout. Once you find your preferred firmness you hardly ever have to change the setting. We are also using the two mattress foundations covered by a sheet of plywood that we already had. The Colorado company O. K.'d that. Don't be taken it by an extra quiet compressor. You hardly ever use it.

• Posted

Flip,

Forgot to ask - what is a doona? Not familiar with that term on this side of the pond. Jan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.