Best type of mattress to sleep on

Posted , 17 users are following.

I was wondering what type of mattress PMR patients find most helpful. Because of all my aches, pains and lower back issues I always thought that a very firm mattress would be most helpful and that is what I have been using att home for years.

This past week I had to travel and slept in a hotel with a much softer mattress. I'll call it "medium soft". Low and behold when I got up in the morning I was less achy and stiff. Just did it for one night so don't know if it was just coincidence or a direct affect.

However, it got me wondering what type of mattress many of you have found to be most beneficial....soft, medium, firm or extra firm ?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

For those who think that adjustable beds are limited to hospitals, you are wrong. These days, adjustable beds are also called as the lifestyle beds. Adjustable beds can be seen common in many homes these days. If you are a person who dislikes lying down flat, then adjustable beds are of your choice. The all new adjustable beds can help you browse internet and watch television, with your head high. It is also best recommended for elder people (adults) who need that extra care for their legs or hip or shoulder. Today, adjustable beds come in innovative designs and style, where you can adjust the comfort, with the help of a piece of remote. Most of the luxury end adjustable beds come with a motorized system.

There are many manufacturers who claim their adjustable beds to be of premium quality. A good airbed should have a minimal design without complicated systems. There are many adjustable beds that are quickly inflatable and comes with remote control systems. You have to look for the material used in it. A single small vent is more than enough to put water on your investment.

Secondly, do NOT go for high priced air beds, as they are not worth it. Paying a huge price and buying an adjustable bed is like fishing in the muddy water. Check for the guarantee and warranty. If your manufacturer offers you a generous warranty and guarantee periods, you can opt for buying those kinds.

My personal choice would be for buying Serta raised air mattresses with never flat pump. It comes with 2 pumps which automatically inflates and maintains the air pressure. Adjustable beds are also a great for therapeutic uses. It helps to deal with various medical conditions like back pain, spine misalignment, acid reflux issues and neck pain.

Some of the best adjustable beds that I have found good are;

Reverie Adjustable Beds

Serta Adjustable beds

Sleep Number Adjustable Bed

Sleep Comfort Adjustable Bed

Leggett and Plat Adjustable beds

Tempur-Pedic adjustable bed

• Posted

Spring mattresses are the popular choice of mattress today.

Coir mattresses and PU foam mattresses are often cheaper but they can be unsuitable because Coir can be too hard on the back and 100% foam mattresses tend to be a heat trap and too soft leading to back related issues.

However, not all spring mattresses are created equal. It’s critical to understand what’s gone into a spring mattress, it’s core components and layers before you take your pick.

There’s no blanket answer to the health benefits of spring mattresses. Some find spring mattresses good for back pain but others don’t, some find them comfortable and supportive but others disagree. Spring mattress benefits come down to the components of the mattress, matching what they deliver with what you need.

Traditional Bonnell vs Pocket Spring

Bonnell springs have been used in mattresses since ages. These springs form the core layer of a mattress. They are interconnected with helical wires and bound inside the mattress frame. Bonnell spring has fewer, larger springs, which are linked together with high quality fillings. The impression is somewhat firmer than the pocketed. This means Bonnell spring is less receptive to pressure and may sag under your body weight. Bonnell Spring mattresses are ideal for Guest Rooms or for children rooms, where the higher level of support may not be absolutely necessary.

Pocket springs are individual springs encased in fabric units that are connected with each other. The springs can compress and expand individually without affecting each other. They offer high point elasticity and better pressure distribution. A mattress with pocket springs enables zero motion transfer. If you’ve got a restless bedtime partner, you need a pocket spring base in your spring mattress.

The pocket spring uses the small individual springs, each in its own calico pocket. With each small spring reacting to the pressure applied to the mattress a perfect degree of support is gained across the length of the body – with maximum support given automatically where it is needed most – ensuring the spine is kept straight even if you sleep on your side

Spring mattresses can be used with other padding layers to provide extra comfort , luxury and the support to meet individual body needs.

Memory foam layer for pressure support

With spring forming the core layer, the mattress needs a soft comfort layer on top. This is where memory foam layer really adds to the advantages of a spring mattress. Memory foam was designed by NASA. It softens in reaction to body heat and moulds itself to body contours, making it ideal for pressure relief. If you’re more of a side sleeper, you’ll notice the added comfort around your shoulders, rib cage and hip. Even on your back, the foam aligns with your natural spine curve giving the soothing touch for a good night’s sleep.

While ordinary memory foam can be a heat sink, a more advanced version called the ‘Open Cell Structure’ (OCS) technology further ensures the foam layer doesn’t trap heat. It allows ventilation and gives a cool, dry and fresh feel.

Natural latex layer for comfort and freshness

100% natural Latex is considered the creme de la creme of mattress layers. What Latex provides apart from superior comfort is that it is naturally hypoallergenic and anti-microbial as well as cool and comfortable.

Natural latex does not contain any synthetic products. And it improves breathability and bounce, something children love.

At Ministry of Sleep, we have come up with MAYA, a pocket spring mattress combining the best of spring, memory foam and Latex to fit all ages. Further being an online only brand, all the savings of avoiding middle men are passed on as better prices to the end consumer.

Maya has been benchmarked with all leading brands and in the pocket spring category, Maya’s price is the lowest in comparison. The mattress comes with a 101 nights risk free trial with 100% refund.

For more details visit Buy Memory foam mattress Online | Buy Spring, Latex mattress Online

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.