Best way to record blood pressure readings

Posted , 5 users are following.

When I was first diagnosed I was told to take the readings twice a day,morning and evening; take 2 readings and record just the lower one, which is usually but not always the second one. The the same dr changed tactics some months later and said to still take the 2 readings but do an average of both sets of numbers. 

I have read here that different peoples' drs have different methods and I just wondered what others thought was the best method? Should be most interested to know.

0 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am amazed with the depth of knowledge of you guys! I have learnt more about toothpaste and flu jabs than I ever thought possible!! I wish I could contribute such knowledge. I can offer advise on the best way to fish the Norfolk Broads if that helps?!

Anyway I have gone down the average route of readings thisorning. I have lost a bit more weight (wife not happy as my bum is now officially listed as "missing") but my average came out at 123/81 so I am OK with that!

I may celebrate with one pint of real ale tonight.

Have a great weekend everyone.

• Posted

My email has been on strike for the past 2 days so there was lots to read when I finally got it sorted. Had such a laugh at some of the things you say and as you say Fisherman, some of the things people discuss smilesmile
    • Posted

Laughter makes the world go round and is a good medicine.

As Doddy says you need to exercise your chuckle muscles. Just hope our Moderator has a good sense of humour or he will delete our posts:-)

• Posted

Welcome back Jane. My emails often play up but I suspect its me not having a full grasp of technology! Off to visit my 94 year old mother tomoz for my weekly visit so prepared for a hike in my bp readings! She will be stressing about what to buy people for Xmas even though every year I get her a bundle of m&s vouchers to send out! She thinks if she doesn't do it they will all think she's dead........her words not mine! Think I may leave a reading for 24 hours to allow bp to return to normal, whatever normal is!!
  • Posted

I prefer to take 1 reading in the morning while still in bed (have the cuff next to me while I sleep), then a second reading in the middle of the day after mild-moderate activity, and then a third reading before bed. That way it establishes a nice base line
    • Posted

That is more or less my way of doing but I do my second one betwee 5 and 6pm.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.