Best way to record blood pressure readings

Posted , 5 users are following.

When I was first diagnosed I was told to take the readings twice a day,morning and evening; take 2 readings and record just the lower one, which is usually but not always the second one. The the same dr changed tactics some months later and said to still take the 2 readings but do an average of both sets of numbers. 

I have read here that different peoples' drs have different methods and I just wondered what others thought was the best method? Should be most interested to know.

0 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Mine is high and going up, I must stop taking it, the more I take the higher it is going, this bp thing  is abit of a puzzler
    • Posted

Surely the more you take the more relaxed about taking it you become.

Consultant told me that you can never take it to often!

• Posted

So are we saying that Garlic increases blood pressure? I love Garlic.
    • Posted

No the members of this forum think it lowers bp 2 cloves a day.. raw garlic
    • Posted

flybywire, there was a TV programme on about hypertension a couple of weeks ago, and the researchers have discovered that two cloves of fresh garlic a day, celery and beetroot reduces blood pressure. 
    • Posted

Now I am becoming forgetful as I watched the programme! My wife is feeding me beetroot at every opportunity which I do not mind at all.
    • Posted

Your post made me chuckle - can she feed you some daily garlic and celery as well?!  Aren't we blessed to have spouses that care.  I remember when I was struck down and in bed with a then undiagnosed auto immune illness which affected my muscles and arteries, we read that turmeric was good for such pain, so hubby used to put turmeric into every suitable meal.
    • Posted

I put turmeric in a mug of hot milk at night, its a b****r cleaning my teeth afterwards. My doctor turned up his nose when I said that I sometimes sprinkle it on my Rice Krispies.
    • Posted

It's a good anti-inflammatory whether your doctor turns up his nose or not!  Not sure whether I fancy it in hot milk though...no definitely wouldn't as I don't like hot milk!  Don't fancy the red teeth though....except perhaps on Halloween!  I'm using a gentle whitening toothpaste now and it does help to lighten the teeth.  Gave up years ago using those toothpastes in the news again this week after reading the scare reports about the Triclosan it contains being a carcinogenic.  In fact, I always avoid buying any soap/wash products containing Triclosan. 
    • Posted

He agrees on its anti-inflammatory properties he just didn't fancy it on Rice Krispies.

Just make sure that your toothpaste is not Made in China. 

• Posted

Just the normal Colgates. Rinse and clean and the yellow comes off.
    • Posted

I believe Colgate contains Triclosan - a pesticide - which it is thought can disrupt hormones.  A couple of years ago, my dentist recommended me to use Sensodyne ProNamel - it doesn't contain Triclosan.
    • Posted

Listed in Colgate Total but not the ordinary one I use. The thing I am allergic to is Formaldehyde and that is difficult to avoid. It is in a lot of tooth pastes.  When I had allergy testing that was the thing that caused a big reaction. Cinnamon slightly less so. I used to wonder why I itched for weeks after my flu jab then I found that formaldhyde was used to kill the live virus in most makes of vaccine. I now ask for the formaldehyde free version.
    • Posted

They used to say with the flu vaccine that people who were allergic to eggs shouldn't have the vaccine.  However, I think they've sorted out that problem now. I suppose as the vaccine is slightly changed every year to cope with the different type of flu virus circulating, it is possible for anyone to have an allergic reaction on occasion even if they haven't in the past.
    • Posted

This year I had not been able to find a list of the 2014/2015 vaccines to know which were formaldehyde free  but last year nearly all were so I was not to concerned and did not ask to see the leaflet first. A few days after the jab I began to have aches in joints other than my usual knee and hip ones. My wrists, elbows and shoulders were painful and lifting things became a bit of a problem. They took about five weeks to go back to normal. My wife also complaining of worsening aches and pains. I said did it start after the 29th when you had your flu jab. Reply, Yes now that you menton it.

• Posted

Hubby hasn't had a cold for about 10 years but has got one now just after having the flu jab.
    • Posted

I hesitate to say when I last had one in case someone has one they want to pass on. As you get older you have had most of the cold viruses and are immune to them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.