Best Way To Sleep After THR

Posted , 19 users are following.

I have been told I must sleep on my back for the next 3 months after THR, I knew this would be a problem for me as I never sleep in my back. I am sitting up at the moment with pillows packed around me.

I am wondering how other people cope with this precaution.

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was told I could sleep on my good side with a pillow in between my legs. It also depends on which procedure you had. I had anterior approach which cuts less muscle and therefore recovery is easier. The first week I slept on my back but after that I was on my good side for a month. Then normal sleeping habits, well still discomfort but after 2 1/2 months out and all is normal now. Don’t sweat it, the first week sucks then gets so much better.
    • Posted

I had posterior THR last Wednesday and surprisingly I have never had pain or bruising minor swelling which gets a bit worse at night other than that it is pretty good. My only problem is sleeping but, I am sure everyone is having the same trouble.
  • Posted

You must have had a posterior approach replacement? Because with anterior approach you can sleep on your side with a pillow between your legs. There are actually devices that you can strap to each of your legs to keep your legs apart so that if you start to roll over on your side your legs don't cross.  They use them where I work for folks who've had the posterior thr.  I didn't have to use one myself but I imagine it would help you sleep because you wouldn't have to worry about moving to your side in your sleep. 

I can relate because several years ago I had a broken neck and was in a halo traction device and had so sleep on my back initially.  You do get used to it and eventually it becomes natural to fall asleep that way.  But if you're worried about rolling over on accident in your sleep try one of those devices.  I'll try to post a link to one I'm talking about though I'm not sure that's allowed in this group 

Also, even with anterior thr for the first couple weeks I used six pillows to sleep - two between my legs, one on either side of my body and two under my head - otherwise I was just too uncomfortable.  It was like a cocoon.  Now I just have my normal pillow for my head and a pillow for between my legs (at 5.5 weeks).

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

I am packed around with pillows and put one between my legs, the nurse said it should wake you up if you try to turn over. It looks like I will have live with little sleep for a few weeks as do other people. Obviously the surgeon I was given only did the posterior THR. That same as he only used clips where this other lady was glued therefore, did not have pulling from the clips.
    • Posted

I had lateral hip surgery 3 3/4 inch incision 

my roommate had lateral too. Different surgeon.

too bad we can’t post pics and compare battle scares. Lol

• Posted

It's just very difficult in my experience. Lack of sleep in the first 3-4wks is very tiring but concentrate on the goal of your rehab. If you need to nap during the day, get your sleep when you can. After six weeks I quite happily start off sleeping on my back with a pillow between my knees, but as I start to wake up in the morning and spend some time on my side. One big side affect of sleeping on my back is I wake up during the night with a very dry mouth although my wife doesn't complain of snoring, so keep a glass of water by the side of the bed.

Today after 6 1/2 wks I comfortably climbed The Wrekin, it's amazing how quickly it passes.

Good luck,

Basil.

• Posted

Basiloc. I think climbing after 6 weeks is amazing, you must be very determined well done.
  • Posted

I slept with my legs propped up and the rest of me flat on my back.  When I got tired of that I propped head and back up on pillows to sleep.  Back and forth, sometimes several switches a night.  When my surgeon said I could sleep on my side I was thrilled, until that night when I tried but could not lay on either side even with pillows between my legs.

I still hurts when I sleep on the operated side, 4 1/2 months later.  But many times I wake up laying on that side.

• Posted

Hello Jen-

My surgery is coming up in late Spring and I'm hoping to be prepared on this issue.  I've been looking into recliners that go all the way back and would keep me sleeping on my back and not side.  Wondering if you or anyone else has any experience or recommendations on that.  Best Wishes.

Jim

• Posted

Hi Jim,

About the first month after the THR, I, slept on a recliner (7/8 of the way back).  After that, I slept in our bed.  However, I was turning from on my back to on my good side.  I hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve

• Posted

When I went to the joint school before the op someone asked about using a recliner, they do not recommend recliners at all.
    • Posted

Jimbone,

The physio at the joint school was asked about using a recliner and they said they do not recommend them.

• Posted

Sorry did not mean to post twice.
  • Posted

I was only limited to 8 weeks of back sleeping, although it took months longer for me to feel comfortable on my side again, the only position I ever use normally. I can't sleep on my back without constant awakenings due to sleep apnea, and I can't use a CPAP machine. So I spent months lying propped up on pillows with pillows all around me and under my knees. It wasn't pleasant, but better than the pain I had sleeping on my side. 

You may find it easier with pillows under your knees while trying to sleep. Some people don't have the pain with the side sleeping that I had. All the best with your recovery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.